• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit the bullet on the Speedmaster CK2998. Should be here Wednesday.

IMG_3390.jpeg
IMG_3394.jpeg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DECISIONS ON A SECOND ROLEX
I went shopping this weekend (first time in a while since COVID last year). I had full intention of picking up a Rolex OP39, BUT instead I walked out with a Explorer 1 Mk2-dial.

I strongly prefer clean simple dials without any complications. Consequently, this preferences tends to filter-out many of the interesting and beautiful Rolex models like the GMT IIs, Yachtmasters, and DateJusts etc. Though I do have a 114060 Submariner that I was lucky enough to acquire from an AD. Interestingly, the Daytona is quite acceptable since the dial is symmetrical but of course that is a different story unless you are a baller like @George Red . On the other hand, the Oyster Perpetual line has always been intriguing to me, due to the simplicity of the watch. Consequently, that is what I set out to acquire.

My experience with luxury goods is established in the 'shoe world', where the fit of a shoe is one of the driving factors for a purchase. So, "trying before buying" is important. However, walking into a Rolex AD as a normal person these days is quite intimidating. The empty cases at the front of the AD are a sign that desirable models are sequestered for only the best of clients. This of course is indicative of the demand for Rolex time pieces but also possibly the decreased production due to COVID, all of which means trying on an OP 41 at an AD is not simple. Consequently, I made an appointment with a second hand dealer to try on discontinued OP 36s. 39s and the new OP41.

Below are my thoughts, where I don't hesitate to say that there is no substitute for trying on a watch and seeing them in person before making decisions. Even the pictures below can't fully show the subtle differences in fit.

Thoughts on the Rolex OP 41mm in Yellow on a 'circular shaped' 6.75-inch wrist.
NOTE THE LUGS THAT DO NOT CURVE.​
My wrists are circular and not flat, which means that tapered lugs that curve slightly look much better on my wrist. I found that the OP41 does not have curved lugs. Otherwise, I did like the watch and if given the opportunity to purchase a green or yellow at an AD, I would.
View attachment 1565040

BUT BUT BUT BUT the 39mm case has curved lugs​
hard to see but below the smaller size of this Exp1 Mk1 dial is perfect for my wrist size.
View attachment 1565058
AND here is what I got. The reason I chose the Exp1 Mk2 dial over the OP39/41 is because seeing all of the watches together and trying them on became obvious that for me the Arabic numerals (3,6,9) with lume (Mk2 dial), the Mercedes hands, and the better clasp all come together and it 'sang'.
View attachment 1565044

If you made it this far thank you for reading this.
This is relevant to my interests. My wrists are about the same size as yours and I‘ve been looking at the OP range, plus the Explorer and Air King. Did you try the 36mm OP? I’d be interested to see what that looks like on wrist.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
This is relevant to my interests. My wrists are about the same size as yours and I‘ve been looking at the OP range, plus the Explorer and Air King. Did you try the 36mm OP? I’d be interested to see what that looks like on wrist.

Yes. Before the shortage I tried on as much as I could at the ADs. Here is a powerpoint of the best pictures that I have. It might not be as helpful because my left arm was damaged a while back and I have been wearing my watches on my right wrist (which is slightly larger).

In my opinion you get more dial with the 39mm OP, where there is more case with the 36mm. I would also defer to the other guys here if they have more experience than me.
Good luck!
Presentation1.jpg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Before the shortage I tried on as much as I could at the ADs. Here is a powerpoint of the best pictures that I have. It might not be as helpful because my left arm was damaged a while back and I have been wearing my watches on my right wrist (which is slightly larger).

In my opinion you get more dial with the 39mm OP, where there is more case with the 36mm. I would also defer to the other guys here if they have more experience than me.
Good luck!
View attachment 1565188
Thanks - the 36mm looks surprisingly large. I can’t try any in person as we are still locked down at the moment, so trying to get an idea from pictures etc.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Thanks - the 36mm looks surprisingly large. I can’t try any in person as we are still locked down at the moment, so trying to get an idea from pictures etc.

The 36mm OP is physically smaller than the 39mm, but I have mistaken 36mm OPs for 39mm when I walked into ADs before the shortage.

FYI: Both of the 36mm were on my left wrist which is smaller than my right wrist with the 39mm.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly the kind of watch I’d expect to see on a race car drivers wrist.

I agree. That's the one thing I wish I could change about this model. This particular black dial edition from 2018 comes with a pulsometer scale on the bezel compared to the more traditional (motorsports themed) tachymeter found on the blue dialed version from 2016. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't actually use either but as a car guy and motorsports fan, the tachymeter would have been more fitting. With that said, I like everything else about it and the fact that the seller added an Omega bracelet made it a great deal.

IMG_5792.jpg

Looking forward to timing my steaks on the grill when it warms up.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. That's the one thing I wish I could change about this model. This particular black dial edition from 2018 comes with a pulsometer scale on the bezel compared to the more traditional (motorsports themed) tachymeter found on the blue dialed version from 2016. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't actually use either but as a car guy and motorsports fan, the tachymeter would have been more fitting. With that said, I like everything else about it and the fact that the seller added an Omega bracelet made it a great deal.

View attachment 1565422

Looking forward to timing my steaks on the grill when it warms up.
Check out Uncle Seiko or Forester for aftermarket bracelets for this watch. I have the US 1171 on my FOIS and an unused US flat link.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Seeing all these cool Speedmasters had me thinking to add a strap as an option to my bracelet. Come to find Omega has a good selection and nice feature to see what the strap will look like on my exact watch. Decisions decisions....

speedmaster straps.jpg

Last edited:

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL.

This is the best watch thread on the internet thanks to its cast of characters, your company included. To name a few:

George Red - Senior law partner who never bothers to read what is written to him; excellent taste and collection
Dino - Never loses patience with idiots; also excellent taste and collection
TheFoo - Village idiot who somehow passed the NY bar; mediocre investment banker with modest budget yet big fish; peak Patek and Prosche
Riva - Sorely missed
Medwed - Probably dead from vodka poisoning or in Siberian prison; trolls better than TheFoo
am55 - Most cultured man on StyleForum (voxsartoria included)
9thsymph - Better education than TheFoo; total savage
Chocomallo - Idiot and asshole (bit part)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads