• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once i walked into an AD and said look at me.
I am not going to buy a Rolex today but can you please explain to me why i would want such an expensive thing?
The dude was super cool, explained the heritage, the quality, showed me some skeleton backs to see the jewels. explained the workmanship. The dude sold me a watch. at some time in the future. He had passion for the brand. and convinced me that it's a quality product more than simply a "Brand".
I would personally like a Millgauss. To hand down to my son. (i want him to be an engineer)
That can wait until i have the funds. But i am sold.

That said, is 5k good for a recent sub?
If you can find a recent sub for 5 Vader run don’t walk. it won’t win you this years cheapies but if it’s authentic (particularly with box and papers) you could 2x it

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
If you can find a recent sub for 5 Vader run don’t walk. it won’t win you this years cheapies but if it’s authentic (particularly with box and papers) you could 2x it
Agreed, but I would be very concerned about authenticity of a sub selling for $5k in this market. However if it’s legit, that’s a hell of a buy.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing much here about Grand Seiko, other than some remarks about ass-kissing from Hodinkee. GS announced 7 new models, including four more of their "seasons" editions that have GMT hands.

Top-image-scaled.jpg

Not sold on the GMT hands with these dress-style watches. I tend to like the dials on the green and white of those models (first and fourth in the photo), but the 24-hour numerals kill it for me.

This one looks okay, if you can stomach a $59,000 (!) price tag:

1614261336500.png

Not sure about this:

1614261381664.png

No:

1614261436640.png

Pretty underwhelming on balance. I was disappointed, as I have recently become pretty interested in some of Grand Seiko's offerings, specifically the SBGW231 and to a lesser extent the Snowflake, although something about the power reserve indicator on the dial bothers me. I was hoping these new models would be a little more interesting.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but I would be very concerned about authenticity of a sub selling for $5k in this market. However if it’s legit, that’s a hell of a buy.
100% - Particularly with the emergence of the super fakes - They're not perfect and you can still tell but definitely be careful with it Vader. I think the stuff I've been seeing on the cheap end is closer to 9ish recently.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
It's real. The seller is a member of an organization against fake products. They got speedmasters going for $1,500.
The local market is saturated with "I made it" watches.
I'll take that as a yes though. Thanks.
A Sub is going for the same as a datejust.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
It's real. The seller is a member of an organization against fake products. They got speedmasters going for $1,500.

half joking, hit me up with that info. Would love the chance at buying a speedy for 1500

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're in Japan right Vader? Because a speedy at 1500 might get me to break my fast on purchases.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously man, spread the wealth :slayer:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to sell a ton of fakes I would absolutely become a member of an organisation against fake products, or even head it.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he got his idea from fraudster Lev Parnas, erstwhile Rudy Giuliani lackey and founder of the Fraud Guarantee company...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
You're in Japan right Vader? Because a speedy at 1500 might get me to break my fast on purchases.
Yeah, I get to see everyone's regret purchases.
at resale.
If you are for real? I might be able to leverage on my own purchases.
They had 2 speedy's yesterday.

I was only asking as a consumer.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to sell a ton of fakes I would absolutely become a member of an organisation against fake products, or even head it.
That is a hell of a story. Any updates on the aftermath in the year since?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads