• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bro, just cause it is called a “MilSub” doesn’t make it a combat watch. You are a sucker’s sucker. Even by Rolex standards of exaggeration this takes the cake.

You do realize “MilSub” isn’t a model name, right? It refers to watches issued by the British MoD to Royal Navy divers.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I see I have to spell this out.

Prior to 1998, Patek made exceedingly few chronograph-only watches (see the models mentioned above for some better-known examples). Only in the hundreds, if that, over many decades. In all those instances, the movements were much smaller than the current 29-535. Let me underline again: there were NO chronograph-only watches from Patek for most of the second half of the 20th century. And until 5070, almost none had any water resistence.

In other words, determining what is “normal” for a Patek chronograph is fundamentally intractable.

Datejust has a depth rating of 100M. The basic Submariner has a 300M depth rating. The most hardcore Sea-Dweller has a 3,900M depth rating.

Also, Datejusts don’t have rotating bezels or helium escape valves.

1. They may replace the case.

2. Re-cutting the case is different from a standard polish. Patek will not re-cut a watch that has already been purchased.

“Re-cutting”? Is this the kind of fluff you use in banking to say polishing is not polishing? You can’t uncircumcise a watch.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I see I have to spell this out.

Prior to 1998, Patek made exceedingly few chronograph-only watches (see the models mentioned above for some better-known examples). Only in the hundreds, if that, over many decades. In all those instances, the movements were much smaller than the current 29-535. Let me underline again: there were NO chronograph-only watches from Patek for most of the second half of the 20th century. And until the 5070, almost none had any water resistance.

In other words, determining what is “normal” for a Patek chronograph is highly contentious.

Datejust has a depth rating of 100M. The basic Submariner has a 300M depth rating. The most hardcore Sea-Dweller has a 3,900M depth rating.

Also, Datejusts don’t have rotating bezels or helium escape valves.

1. They may replace the case.

2. Re-cutting the case is different from a standard polish. Patek will not re-cut a watch that has already been purchased.

The 5070 was an abomination that took a movement that most brands, including Patek, used in sub-37mm. It only recently became popular. So again you are rationalizing your purchase when you trash the 41OP for the same reason. If you cannot admit that, you are delusional.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 5070 was an abomination that took a movement that most brands, including Patek, used in sub-37mm. It only recently became popular.

Only recently? Sounds like you only recently started learning about watches.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“Re-cutting”? Is this the kind of fluff you use in banking to say polishing is not polishing? You can’t uncircumcise a watch.

I am not a polishing expert. However, “re-cutting” means restoration/preservations of edges and chamfers that are dulled/smoothed in any typical service polishing by a manufacturer.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do realize “MilSub” isn’t a model name, right? It refers to watches issued by the British MoD to Royal Navy divers.
If you want a military connection, there's an easier one: the sub was allegedly co-developed by Cousteau, a naval combat diver and almost certainly action service spy whose crew had many fellow naval divers.

It's forgotten now but Silent World depicts his crew dynamite fishing ("to count the fish"), beating sharks to death on the deck ("they are the enemy of sailors") and even ramming a whale in clouds of blood after chasing it ("whoops"). The film has not aged well but depicts a certain hard charging culture not surprising amongst recently demobilised commandos some of whom had known WWII.

1611839679075.png

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes dipshit, but you posted a picture of it when I said Rolex hasn’t staked a claim to combat watches. It’s a watch that has no combat history and there are plenty of other watches ordered by defense ministries that are of the same vein. So your reply wasn’t very clever.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a polishing expert. However, “re-cutting” means restoration/preservations of edges and chamfers that are dulled/smoothed in any typical service polishing by a manufacturer.

Wow. A moment of humility. And utter stupidity. How can you adhere to the widely held belief that any polishing alters a case from its original dimensions yet believe that a case can be re-cut and some how be restored? Maybe Patek has a special machine that vapor deposits individual atoms in the exact right spot but they have never disclosed the process publicly. And they only use it to fix shop worn NOS watches.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For **** sake, you two are worse than a couple of ******* children. If you really feel the need to continue your horological dick measuring contest, do it in private.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes dipshit, but you posted a picture of it when I said Rolex hasn’t staked a claim to combat watches. It’s a watch that has no combat history and there are plenty of other watches ordered by defense ministries that are of the same vein. So your reply wasn’t very clever.

Does a fighter jet have to be in a fight to be called a fighter jet?

Anyways, MilSubs were known to be used by Royal Navy divers on mine-hunting missions. If that doesn’t qualify, I think you are splitting hairs.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a military connection, there's an easier one: the sub was allegedly co-developed by Cousteau, a naval combat diver and almost certainly action service spy whose crew had many fellow naval divers.

It's forgotten now but Silent World depicts his crew dynamite fishing ("to count the fish"), beating sharks to death on the deck ("they are the enemy of sailors") and even ramming a whale in clouds of blood after chasing it ("whoops"). The film has not aged well but depicts a certain hard charging culture not surprising amongst recently demobilised commandos some of whom had known WWII.

View attachment 1544454

Forget Jacques! Let’s talk more about Celine.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does a fighter jet have to be in a fight to be called a fighter jet?

Anyways, MilSubs were known to be used by Royal Navy divers on mine-hunting missions. If that doesn’t qualify, I think you are splitting hairs.

Mine hunting missions in which war?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow. A moment of humility. And utter stupidity. How can you adhere to the widely held belief that any polishing alters a case from its original dimensions yet believe that a case can be re-cut and some how be restored? Maybe Patek has a special machine that vapor deposits individual atoms in the exact right spot but they have never disclosed the process publicly. And they only use it to fix shop worn NOS watches.

Regular service polishing absolutely does alter a case’s profile. I speak from direct experience. The effect is amplified with softer metals like gold.

When they “re-cut” the case, they polish it similarly to how it was done at time of manufacturing. That is a far more involved process. Like I said, I am not an expert on this so I don’t know the details.

But I do know that high-end makers like Patek hand-polish all new watch cases before they leave the factory—so each watch has already been polished to a different degree, yet also has a crisp-as-new profile and edges. Clearly, there is a difference versus service polishing.

In both cases, some minute amount of metal is removed. Yet, re-cutting keeps or restores the shape of the watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads