• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there still people stateside who use their Rolex for sports? I've never met anyone who does so in Asia despite the huge popularity of diving and other watersports in the region. 100% worn with suits or smart casual in town, switching to purpose built tools for sports (dive computer, Garmin, etc.).
I don’t dive, but I wear my Submariner backpacking, fishing, canoeing, Kayaking, etc.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t dive, but I wear my Submariner backpacking, fishing, canoeing, Kayaking, etc.
Ha! Good on you!

I don't fish, but for the rest Garmin has overtaken steel sports watches for me because it saves me from taking a backup GPS (a convenient one that does not need to e.g. get out of the drybag whilst in the waves). They've gone a long way since their unreliable, low battery life early days, but it definitely isn't a generational watch. For kayaking I could probably give it up, but it's been invaluable cycling and hiking especially when there's no reception and the trail disappears into nondescript undergrowth.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Good on you!

I don't fish, but for the rest Garmin has overtaken steel sports watches for me because it saves me from taking a backup GPS (a convenient one that does not need to e.g. get out of the drybag whilst in the waves). They've gone a long way since their unreliable, low battery life early days, but it definitely isn't a generational watch. For kayaking I could probably give it up, but it's been invaluable cycling and hiking especially when there's no reception and the trail disappears into nondescript undergrowth.
Yeah, I can’t say I’ve ever used a gps device in the outdoors so I don’t feel like I’m missing out. I carry an inReach when backpacking but only for emergencies, not routefinding.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Porsche started in Stuttgart and first made cars and tanks in Germany before and during WWII. The Austrian factory opened after the war.
Porsche did contract work and consulting for other companies in Germany. They didn't build their own cars there until many years later.

The first sports cars to bear their own name were built in a saw mill in Gmund Austria in 1948. Even old Porsche catalogs state this and often have a photo of the old saw mill. Porsche didn't move production of its sports cars to Germany until the early 1950s. The first 356 serial 356.001 known as the first Porsche was built in Austria. https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/history/porsche-911-magazine-episode-13-sports-car-dna-356-gmuend-19078.html

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All mechanical watches are functionally obsolete (though astronauts still wear mechanical Speedmasters because battery-powered watches can’t operate in the cold of space). So, design based on actual use is moot.

But in the context of classic/traditional dress, the only context in which the distinction between a dress vs. sport watch matters anymore, a dress watch should be discreet and slimly proportioned.

Further, even not caring about the above, a watch larger than it needs to be is a compromise to function, being both heavier and bulkier than necessary. People can buy whatever they want and fashions favoring larger versus smaller watches will come and ago, but ultimately functional/rational considerations will persist.

The problem with a 41mm Oyster Perpetual is that it is suboptimal for traditional dress and yet sized for fashionability over function. The only cross-section of buyers left are people who subscribe to short-term trends (namely, towards bigger watches).

The fact that the Submariner and Explorer are both smaller and more rugged than the OP41 merely highlights all of the above in plain sight.
This is a lot of words to portray your opinions as facts. A 41MM OP or Datejust just isnt a big watch anymore, especially when they wear smaller than the measurement. Even you agree with this and are just talking shit at this point. If you didnt agree with this you wouldnt have bought a 36MM dress watch with a movement made for a 34MM watch.

Also, the Submariner is now 41MM for better or worse, so theres that...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never understood the cyclops lens on the sub. The sub is the quintessential dive watch. It’s primary function is to inform the diver of the time he has spent at depth. Any feature on the watch that may interfere with that seems counterproductive.

I used to dive and I can tell you, sometimes visibility is not that great.

The ability to the tell date is non-essential.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.