• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting and tragic story:

Stopped by my AD today to put my name down on the “list” for the 6711 (unconfirmed reference number). Sadly, they’re losing Patek and now I’ll likely not get one - ever - unless I want to drop $100,000 or more with another Patek dealer or pay close to that for a secondary market Nautilus (will do neither).

Now... How’d they lose the account? That’s the real story. While monitoring secondary markets, as Patek and Rolex always do, Patek spotted a desirable Nautilus reference on a grey market dealer’a website. They traced the certificate and found out that my AD sold it to a customer days before. In other words, they caught a fucking flipper loser fuck, and now my AD is fucked, and my Patek expansion dreams along with it. I fucking hate flippers.
That seems very harsh if it's a first strike for the AD. Are they now expected to due diligence every buyer? And how do you reliably screen out potential flippers anyway?

Last edited:

te0o

Reaction score
What's the general opinion on the Longines Conquest Heritage? Looks very stylish with an alligator strap (and also quite affordable) as a more dressy option.

an draoi

Reaction score

Stopped by my AD today to put my name down on the “list” for the 6711 (unconfirmed reference number). Sadly, they’re losing Patek and now I’ll likely not get one - ever - unless I want to drop $100,000 or more with another Patek dealer or pay close to that for a secondary market Nautilus (will do neither).

Now... How’d they lose the account? That’s the real story. While monitoring secondary markets, as Patek and Rolex always do, Patek spotted a desirable Nautilus reference on a grey market dealer’a website. They traced the certificate and found out that my AD sold it to a customer days before. In other words, they caught a fucking flipper loser fuck, and now my AD is fucked, and my Patek expansion dreams along with it. I fucking hate flippers.
This story has set my tinnitus off again.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would reach out to patek (if you have a solid purchase history) - I have heard that some people got help when they lost their relationship due to AD losing status. I assume it needs to be more than a few pieces. But terrible situation - curious which AD it was - PM me please.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the AD did their job and sold a watch and patek didn't like what that customer did with their property? ok!
well I think it's good that PP does something, even though not enough. the watches should go to someone who appreciates them and wants to wear them and no to flip - just my opinion your point of view is somewhat valid of course but in the crazy world of watches I dont want that to happen.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems very harsh if it's a first strike for the AD. Are they now expected to due diligence every buyer? And how do you reliably screen out potential flippers anyway?
Exactly. Losing Patek as an AD - any AD - is a tremendously consequential loss. These people are going to struggle to make that revenue up elsewhere. Guess I’m going to have to buy a lot more Jaeger.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would reach out to patek (if you have a solid purchase history) - I have heard that some people got help when they lost their relationship due to AD losing status. I assume it needs to be more than a few pieces. But terrible situation - curious which AD it was - PM me please.
I may reach out to Patek. That’s not a bad idea.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well I think it's good that PP does something, even though not enough. the watches should go to someone who appreciates them and wants to wear them and no to flip - just my opinion your point of view is somewhat valid of course but in the crazy world of watches I dont want that to happen.
haha ok well what if instead the customer mothballed that piece in a safe for 40 years? not to argue just trying to corner the notion

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha ok well what if instead the customer mothballed that piece in a safe for 40 years?
nobody can control that of course. but to be fair everyone knows there is a high chance of getting backlisted and Ad might lose status if people flip hot models, especially the hottest watch on the planet 5711. I wish the would do way more about flippers but I feel this debate has been discussed so often that I dont want to repeat it.

In the real world I agree with you :)

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody can control that of course. but to be fair everyone knows there is a high chance of getting backlisted and Ad might lose status if people flip hot models, especially the hottest watch on the planet 5711. I wish the would do way more about flippers but I feel this debate has been discussed so often that I dont want to repeat it.

In the real world I agree with you :)
I have a solution. Implant tracking devices and explosive micro-chips on all AD cards. The moment Patek spots a 5711 floating around a secondary market ONE DAY AFTER THE AD POINT OF SALE, they can detonate the watch. Whoever dies, dies.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a solution. Implant tracking devices and explosive micro-chips on all AD cards. The moment Patek spots a 5711 floating around a secondary market ONE DAY AFTER THE AD POINT OF SALE, they can detonate the watch. Whoever dies, dies.
seems reasonable I like it :) hahahahahhah

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably didn’t screen the client well enough. Who knows. I’ll confess I don’t understand the ins and outs of the AD/brand relationship that well.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.