• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe some watch or ex watch peeps can give their opinion on this. I'm reaching a big life goal early next year and wanted to get something to remind myself of the last year or so of my life. A Casio F-91w has been my daily driver for a watch and sometimes I feel like it looks a bit out of place in my more casual menswear fits. I was thinking of getting a 1950s Omega, I wear a lot of vintage clothing and that watch / date just sort of feels right with my getup. It's a big purchase, but a local watch store here sells maintained ones and can service them... On the fence a bit. How much will a service on the watch cost in the 4-6 years later when it's needed?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the Speedy. In fact, I'm wearing one right now. I guess its cool that its thinner and has an applied logo, but can someone give me the cliffs notes version of why its $1,600 more than the current one on my wrist?
New METAS certified movement, dot over 90, step dial, new bracelet.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Speedy. In fact, I'm wearing one right now. I guess its cool that its thinner and has an applied logo, but can someone give me the cliffs notes version of why its $1,600 more than the current one on my wrist?

From memory, it had a big jump in price a few years ago, too, when Omega changed from the 3570.00 model number to a newer model number. I don't think that the watch itself actually changed in any appreciable way, but you got a nicer, wooden box and a loupe so you could examine your watch closely.

Frankly, I didn't think that was worth the price rise, but obviously the market disagreed because prices have just continued to rise...

FPB

Reaction score
Maybe some watch or ex watch peeps can give their opinion on this. I'm reaching a big life goal early next year and wanted to get something to remind myself of the last year or so of my life. A Casio F-91w has been my daily driver for a watch and sometimes I feel like it looks a bit out of place in my more casual menswear fits. I was thinking of getting a 1950s Omega, I wear a lot of vintage clothing and that watch / date just sort of feels right with my getup. It's a big purchase, but a local watch store here sells maintained ones and can service them... On the fence a bit. How much will a service on the watch cost in the 4-6 years later when it's needed?

If it's from the 1950s it's probably going to need service sooner than 4-6 years. But just ask your shop how much the service costs. Remember that if you want the accuracy of your Casio, you're not going to get that from the Omega, so it might not be the best choice from a daily watch point of view. As an occasional/special occasion watch, it's perfect.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those 50's/60s Omega seamasters are some of the most faked watches out there...be sure you're getting the genuine article. I have in my watch case an otherwise nice 50s Seamaster that is a terrible redial.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knocked the bezel off my Sub and the service center in Beverly Hills sold me a new one. I don't remember the exact price of the bezel, I got the watch serviced at the same time, but I have a hazy recollection that a replacement bezel was somewhere between $50 and $200.

A couple of years later I was cleaning out my wife's car to get it ready to be donated. I found the original bezel wedged in between the seat and the center console. I probably still have the extra bezel in a drawer somewhere.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incoming!
I‘ve decided to stick with five watches which all play a pretty discreet role that can best be defined by purpose. If something comes in, something must move out. What I currently have:
1. Travel watch which I wear on a NATO.
5712BDD2-559B-4A1E-B156-9500303E529D.jpeg
2. Watch that I wear with jeans or shorts worn on a SS band.
37D7B53C-B7B6-4A05-B5F5-09FF10A4D4A7.jpeg
3. Watch that I’ll wear with odd jackets or tweed suits which will be on a leather strap. (Slot not yet filled)
4. Watch worn with business suits which is on a matte alligator strap.
5D37AEAE-D847-4D87-AFF0-BC7EAF3345B1.jpeg
5. Watch to be worn socially at evening events on a shiny alligator strap (not my car).
91B8D175-1704-41DD-B1D8-8DE718F2CE45.jpeg
The newbie to the group should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incoming!
I‘ve decided to stick with five watches which all play a pretty discreet role that can best be defined by purpose. If something comes in, something must move out. What I currently have:
1. Travel watch which I wear on a NATO.
View attachment 1509911
2. Watch that I wear with jeans or shorts worn on a SS band.
View attachment 1509912
3. Watch that I’ll wear with odd jackets or tweed suits which will be on a leather strap. (Slot not yet filled)
4. Watch worn with business suits which is on a matte alligator strap.
View attachment 1509917
5. Watch to be worn socially at evening events on a shiny alligator strap (not my car).
View attachment 1509918
The newbie to the group should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.
Nice collection, and seems well thought out, although that Patek chronograph seems rather large to wear with a suit, no? I also have one of those Luminox watches on an army green NATO strap that I wear doing yard work and other outdoor stuff. Certainly not "SF approved", but it's good for that purpose.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice collection, and seems well thought out, although that Patek chronograph seems rather large to wear with a suit, no? I also have one of those Luminox watches on an army green NATO strap that I wear doing yard work and other outdoor stuff. Certainly not "SF approved", but it's good for that purpose.

Isn't that what the Explorer II is for? I haven't worn any of my beater watches since I got my Sub...it performs perfectly for hiking, fishing and other outdoor tasks.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what the Explorer II is for? I haven't worn any of my beater watches since I got my Sub...it performs perfectly for hiking, fishing and other outdoor tasks.
Maybe. I'm just basing this off the role that he chose for that watch. If it were me, I wouldn't wear an Explorer or Sub (if I had one) often for a lot of the more heavier outdoor stuff I do--using a tractor, building structures, etc. I'd be too worried about serious damage or losing it. But for other "lighter" outdoors stuff like you mentioned--hiking, fishing, etc.--I'd definitely wear an Explorer or Sub.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I'm just basing this off the role that he chose for that watch. If it were me, I wouldn't wear an Explorer or Sub (if I had one) often for a lot of the more heavier outdoor stuff I do--using a tractor, building structures, etc. I'd be too worried about serious damage or losing it. But for other "lighter" outdoors stuff like you mentioned--hiking, fishing, etc.--I'd definitely wear an Explorer or Sub.

Yep, I hear you. My point of view now is basically that if something is too rough to wear my sub, then I don't need to be wearing a watch at all.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not such a big fan of NATO straps but it’s a good idea for the luminox. When I started scuba diving I didn’t want to risk expensive watches so got that same watch for $100 off eBay in 1996. Retail at the time was twice that. I had it over twenty years and the lights were starting to fade a bit, when I went diving off a boat a Clearwater FL. Checked the watch as I was getting suited up then went to adjust the bezel it as I was sat on the gunwhale about to drop On and it had disappeared. I can only guess that a spring bar broke and it fell over the side. Disappointing but it gave me good service for twenty years.
I replaced it with this a couple of years ago which I got for $160 off eBay and which is doing a good job.
726EA4CE-1AFF-4691-A6CF-448D30922B82.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads