• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

CWV

Reaction score
Hi there. A quick question, maybe you can help ,
im planing on gifting a nice watch to me GF when she graduates but I know nothing about watches. My budged is around $500 but could go up if justified.
do you have any suggestion on models or grands?
thx.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s such a great looking watch George. Is it ref 358305?
Is it a LE or readily available?
Each time you post it, it’s tempting me more and more!
Thank you, sir. It’s readily available and at a discount, man. It’s a solid, every day wearer. Even more so on a bracelet.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im planing on gifting a nice watch to me GF when she graduates but I know nothing about watches. My budged is around $500 but could go up if justified.
thx.
One of the first things you need to figure out is whether you want something quartz or mechanical. If you want something with a quartz movement, Hamilton and Tissot have a lot of great options under $500 for women. You could also try the Poor Man's Watch thread for other suggestions when you have a better idea what you want.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the first things you need to figure out is whether you want something quartz or mechanical. If you want something with a quartz movement, Hamilton and Tissot have a lot of great options under $500 for women. You could also try the Poor Man's Watch thread for other suggestions when you have a better idea what you want.
p0wn3d

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
thx.
Seiko and Citizen will give you the most options.
So you could really pick something just for her, that she might not see another person wearing often.
you could even bump up the budget a little and get her an amazing looking watch. the $500-600 budget has A lot of choice.
You could even go a bit further, and put together a watch/band gift for her. Example: Take a watch like this >
Get it polished, and choose a band for it. putting in some thought. or? Let her choose a band for it. To have a memorable shared experience.

Good luck.

CWV

Reaction score
Seiko and Citizen will give you the most options.
So you could really pick something just for her, that she might not see another person wearing often.
you could even bump up the budget a little and get her an amazing looking watch. the $500-600 budget has A lot of choice.
You could even go a bit further, and put together a watch/band gift for her. Example: Take a watch like this >
Get it polished, and choose a band for it. putting in some thought. or? Let her choose a band for it. To have a memorable shared experience.

Good luck.
Thx so much to both of you I will read about the diferente vereeeb quartz and mechanical. I’d say my absolute limit is $1000. I think going higher would be just an exces

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx so much to both of you I will read about the diferente vereeeb quartz and mechanical. I’d say my absolute limit is $1000. I think going higher would be just an exces
this topic has come up before. My only advice is to get her something you know she will like and not you like or you think you like.
Unless she is into mechanical watches, I’d avoid it. Most women, and this is a generalization, view a watch more as a piece of jewelry and an accessory vs. a functional timepiece or tool.

I remember about 10 years ago when those Michele watches were so hot with the ladies due to being able to easily swap out the straps so they could color coordinate with their outfits. Guys don’t think like that.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
There are many types of women. At the moment only he has a shot of knowing what type she is.
I Have given my wife countless watches, from a vintage "Queen Seiko", to Dolce & Gabbana Bling Bling.
The watches she wears the most? - A $10 Blue rubber, white face watch with a red seconds hand, that i picked up at the tool store because i thought she would like it for work.
And a Black Ceramic Rado Ladies dress watch.
recently she has been wearing a (hard to find in the wild) Seiko Ladies Automatic 2 tone Dive watch.
She is the sort of lady that would wear a Panerai,
Just because of how it looks.
Or? A Timex Explorer? Fossil? All the same to her. unless it stops. yeah. no wind ups.

All I'm saying is, Buy Her a watch. Think about the topic of her. What styling cues work for her style? Or with anything? Sporty or Classy?
Something outrageous? Vintage?

You don't have to spend $1,000. Because when you find the right one? It won't matter.

CWV

Reaction score
There are many types of women. At the moment only he has a shot of knowing what type she is.
I Have given my wife countless watches, from a vintage "Queen Seiko", to Dolce & Gabbana Bling Bling.
The watches she wears the most? - A $10 Blue rubber, white face watch with a red seconds hand, that i picked up at the tool store because i thought she would like it for work.
And a Black Ceramic Rado Ladies dress watch.
recently she has been wearing a (hard to find in the wild) Seiko Ladies Automatic 2 tone Dive watch.
She is the sort of lady that would wear a Panerai,
Just because of how it looks.
Or? A Timex Explorer? Fossil? All the same to her. unless it stops. yeah. no wind ups.

All I'm saying is, Buy Her a watch. Think about the topic of her. What styling cues work for her style? Or with anything? Sporty or Classy?
Something outrageous? Vintage?

You don't have to spend $1,000. Because when you find the right one? It won't matter.
Yes of course I have to buy it thinking of her likes. Something flat-ish not too big. But I also want something of quality that will last.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Citizen.

You're welcome. :cheers:

Also a political pun.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know... $500 is expensive for a watch. I recommend:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know... $500 is expensive for a watch.
Says the man posting a pic of a $200,000 watch... :laugh:

Seriously, though, as @Phileas Fogg said above, most women look at watches as pure fashion items - the appearance and (sometimes) the brand are important. The internals are not important at all.

There are some exceptions, but the vast majority of women have no interest at all in the internal workings of watches and would far prefer the convenience of a quartz watch that never needs to be wound and goes five or more years without needing a battery change.

Some years back, when we were in Japan, my wife bought a solar-powered Seiko with a rectangular case on a bracelet. She thinks it's the greatest watch she's ever had - looks classically-appealing, bracelet never needs replacing (unlike a strap), and the battery never (or almost never) needs replacing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's