• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
although I've never purchased from Bob's, I know they are very reputable and you will be fine.
A friend of mine sent his vintage Pepsi in to them a few years ago to get a quote on selling to them. They gave him a massively low ball number, and he declined. When he got the watch back, there were deep gouges on 3 of the 4 lugs, so he called to complain. They first said, those were already there. When he showed them the pictures they took right before he sent the watch to them, they said, tough shit. When he posted about it online, they sued him until he took down the posts.

He eventually took the hit and just let it go, but I certainly wont forget the story, or do business with them.

pmeis

Reaction score
Anyone have strong opinions about buying an unworn, pre-owned Rolex from Bobs Watches? It has been over 15 years since I picked up my 11660 and things appear to be a little different in the Rolex game. I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I am considering a blue dial OP41, but I am concerned about whether an infrequent purchaser such as myself can even call up an AD to order one given all the talk about scarcity and waitlists. There is a watch at Bob's that would definitely fit the bill, but I have never purchased anything on the grey market, so I am a bit nervous about that idea. Would love to hear from someone who purchased from Bobs and how the experience went.
The new OP's should be fairly gettable, if you can have some patience. Definitely try reaching out to local dealers first and express your interest. Better yet if you are able to discuss in store..

dan'l

Reaction score
A friend of mine sent his vintage Pepsi in to them a few years ago to get a quote on selling to them. They gave him a massively low ball number, and he declined. When he got the watch back, there were deep gouges on 3 of the 4 lugs, so he called to complain. They first said, those were already there. When he showed them the pictures they took right before he sent the watch to them, they said, tough shit. When he posted about it online, they sued him until he took down the posts.

He eventually took the hit and just let it go, but I certainly wont forget the story, or do business with them.
Argh, what a terrible story. It made me so mad reading it!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, that's shocking! It's horrible that a business would treat someone or their property that way. That's reason enough for me never to do business with that company. I guess they don't believe in customer service and "Word of mouth."

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's shocking! It's horrible that a business would treat someone or their property that way. That's reason enough for me never to do business with that company. I guess they don't believe in customer service and "Word of mouth."
I was pretty shocked when he told me. He owns a successful business and the legal fees and time he would've had to devote to a lawsuit wouldnt have been worth it. Took it much better than I would have since I would have wanted my pound of flesh...

I'm sure lots of people have had good transactions with them, and could've been an isolated incident, but its enough to make it an easy decision for me to not get involved with them.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was pretty shocked when he told me. He owns a successful business and the legal fees and time he would've had to devote to a lawsuit wouldnt have been worth it. Took it much better than I would have since I would have wanted my pound of flesh...

I'm sure lots of people have had good transactions with them, and could've been an isolated incident, but its enough to make it an easy decision for me to not get involved with them.
I rarely sell items, but when I do it has always been in person, and usually at a brick and mortar store. I've never had any issues with places I dealt with in the past. Even if what happened to your friend is an isolated incident, who wants to potentially have that happen. For me it just wouldn't be worth the risk of dealing with them.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the question posed and your example are not apples-to-apples.

If a person wants to buy a watch from Bob's then I cannot imagine it being anything other than a smooth transaction.

However, If a person sends in a watch for appraisal then it's a very different transaction. Although I would not expect/accept any damage to the watch sent in, I would imagine Bob's would handle the item including but not limited to taking off the bracelet, opening the caseback, etc. in order to come up with their offer price. However, damaging the item in that process is unacceptable.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the question posed and your example are not apples-to-apples.

If a person wants to buy a watch from Bob's then I cannot imagine it being anything other than a smooth transaction.

However, If a person sends in a watch for appraisal then it's a very different transaction. Although I would not expect/accept any damage to the watch sent in, I would imagine Bob's would handle the item including but not limited to taking off the bracelet, opening the caseback, etc. in order to come up with their offer price. However, damaging the item in that process is unacceptable.
I never said it was apples to apples, nor that I had any first hand experience with Bob's. I further said it might even be an isolated incident with many other satisfactory transactions. I just said I wouldnt do business with a company that behaves like that...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never said it was apples to apples, nor that I had any first hand experience with Bob's. I further said it might even be an isolated incident with many other satisfactory transactions. I just said I wouldnt do business with a company that behaves like that...
Kind of like going to a bar and finding a cockroach in your happy-hour appetizer. Doesn't make you all that eager to order a drink . . .

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never said that you said that - I was merely pointing out that an (hopefully) isolated incident should not impact someone buying a watch from a reputable seller like Bobs. No merchant is perfect, but I know it's a one-strike-and-your-out mentality on the forum.....

And since the topic came up............don't EVER walk through the kitchen of your favorite restaurant =) Although I totally get the point!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never said that you said that - I was merely pointing out that an (hopefully) isolated incident should not impact someone buying a watch from a reputable seller like Bobs. No merchant is perfect, but I know it's a one-strike-and-your-out mentality on the forum.....

And since the topic came up............don't EVER walk through the kitchen of your favorite restaurant =) Although I totally get the point!
I have a small MTM company. At some point, I will screw up someone's clothing and how I choose to deal with my error will largely inform that customer, and anyone they tell about the experience what kind of merchant I am. If I choose to respond to that error by telling the customer, tough shit, then so be it. If I sue them because they post the truth about me telling them tough shit on the internet and use the cost and inconvenience of a SLAPP suit to get my way, rather than A) doing nothing and letting things go, or B) doing right by them and correcting the error I made, then that says something about me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I would not expect/accept any damage to the watch sent in, I would imagine Bob's would handle the item including but not limited to taking off the bracelet, opening the caseback, etc. in order to come up with their offer price. However, damaging the item in that process is unacceptable.
There are plenty of other places with excellent reputations, that after hearing a story like what was posted, I can't think of a reason ever to deal with Bobs. They aren't selling a unique 1 of 1 item. As much as I love Rolex watches (and lots of other brands) they are mass produced and can be purchased from plenty of other places that don't screw a potential customer.

They don't actually have to take off the bracelet or open the case back, to make an offer. I've sold watches to brick and mortar shops in the past, brought the watch, box and papers with me (in case the deal worked out). I handed them the watch, they looked it over, and made an offer. If I liked the offer, I went through with the transaction. Or in one case I emailed photos, they made an offer, and I brought it in for them to see in person and then collected my check. Not once, did they try to remove the bracelet or open the watch in front of me.

I have a small MTM company. At some point, I will screw up someone's clothing and how I choose to deal with my error will largely inform that customer, and anyone they tell about the experience what kind of merchant I am. If I choose to respond to that error by telling the customer, tough shit, then so be it. If I sue them because they post the truth about me telling them tough shit on the internet and use the cost and inconvenience of a SLAPP suit to get my way, rather than A) doing nothing and letting things go, or B) doing right by them and correcting the error I made, then that says something about me.
:fistbump:
One always hopes to have a perfect transaction without any problems. Most times we are lucky and that is what we get with the bulk of transactions. However, it is when things go wrong that one really learns about a company and customer service. It really says something about a company and whether they are worthy of repeat business, when one sees how far will they go to make the situation right, and turn what was a mistake into a positive experience for the customer. Some company that says tough sh*t when they screw up, isn't a place I want waste my time or money keeping in business. One could have a few good transactions...but that one time it doesn't work, who wants to be the next guy they tell "Tough sh*t?" Not me!

cincytri

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies and sorry for opening this can of worms. Definitely not my intention to kick a hornet's nest.

I emailed the 3 ADs who are local and received a call from one. I talked with him for about 15 min and he was pleasant and informative. He asked if I am local and I kind of got the sense he was interviewing me or at least trying to smoke out a flipper? I can't buy or order really anything over 39mm, certainly not an OP41, at this point. He has my information and I guess I am on a list of sorts, but I am not very confident I will get a call.

I would like to keep my purchase at or below 7k and I am starting to realize that just may not get it done. These are truly crazy times...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 I would imagine when a watch is shipped to Bobs they would handle the watch very differently than if a customer brought it into the store and was watching them handle the watch in his/her presence while waiting for a quote. I’m glad you had a great experience when you sold your watch

I can tell you that Betteridge in CT was not the best experience when I acquired my Cartier, but if I come across another crazy deal like that I wouldn’t hesitate to do business with them again.

@cincytri Are you still thinking about the watch from Bobs?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's