• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's 4 James Bond watches out right now. The titanium NTTD no date version is actually really nice. I'm not a fan of the other versions which are basically Seamaster Pro 300m with precious metals.
true just checked it out, looks great actually but moved on from Omega for now. frankly I am stuck looking at my next AP (can't make a decision). Still would love a 5164A but not paying grey prices and no way getting it at retail.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true just checked it out, looks great actually but moved on from Omega for now. frankly I am stuck looking at my next AP (can't make a decision). Still would love a 5164A but not paying grey prices and no way getting it at retail.
I have an AP RO 15400 which isn't getting worn anymore. I went from Omega Seamaster Pro 300m to AP RO 15400 to now wearing my Speedmaster FOIS on a bracelet. I got tired of switching out watches and always having to reset the date. I'm thinking of getting another Speedmaster (supposedly another Snoopy will be released in October) since AP is becoming like Patek and Rolex. Everything I would like to get from AP is out of my price range now or impossible to get.

My dream watch would be to get a VC American 1921 in platinum but I don't make enough to spend $40k on a watch.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an AP RO 15400 which isn't getting worn anymore. I went from Omega Seamaster Pro 300m to AP RO 15400 to now wearing my Speedmaster FOIS on a bracelet. I got tired of switching out watches and always having to reset the date. I'm thinking of getting another Speedmaster (supposedly another Snoopy will be released in October) since AP is becoming like Patek and Rolex. Everything I would like to get from AP is out of my price range now or impossible to get.

My dream watch would be to get a VC American 1921 in platinum but I don't make enough to spend $40k on a watch.
That VC is great - if you are willing to settle for non platinum should be able to get below 30k or so. But the platinum is great with the blue numerals - it pops. For me it is the opposite - since I got my ROO 42mm I dont really wear my Moon watch anymore. I think PP is just out of reach right now but AP has great deal of watches I like between 20-30k. I have a 8 inch wrist so ROOs look pretty good on me.
Why don't you offload your AP and get your VC? Prices have never been higher than now I feel like.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RO is beat to **** since I used it as my daily for 3 years so I won’t get as much for it. I’ll probably put it back on once WFH ends and my job requires business casual again.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RO is beat to **** since I used it as my daily for 3 years so I won’t get as much for it. I’ll probably put it back on once WFH ends and my job requires business casual again.
yeah makes sense. Your wishlist VC is also not particular business casual I guess

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of wishful thinking, I adore this one. Undoubtedly it won’t be popular, but it is exquisite to me. I love it. I wish it were 38mm and while the blue text is off putting to most, I kinda like it but would prefer a different font. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one on the grey market or used so it’ll be hard to pull the trigger at retail. Nevertheless, much like the Octo, it is a watch one must see in person to form an opinion.

AB90B63F-B1D1-4EFF-A500-48721686485F.jpeg

And here is the standard time only in the same 42mm size next to my 1675 as a reference. The time only is ultra-slim so wears extremely well. The dual time sits a bit off the wrist even though it is still under 8mm, I think.

FBBC3D0D-E577-44D6-B6EE-32F821B9E4E4.jpeg

When it comes to unusual cases, this one certainly deserves a look. I don’t think this looks too dandyish when worn. I highly recommend it if in the dress watch market.

But the VC you dream of is also amazing. I especially like the newer smaller size. My colleague has it and it is a real eye catcher on the wrist.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of wishful thinking, I adore this one. Undoubtedly it won’t be popular, but it is exquisite to me. I love it. I wish it were 38mm and while the blue text is off putting to most, I kinda like it but would prefer a different font. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one on the grey market or used so it’ll be hard to pull the trigger at retail. Nevertheless, much like the Octo, it is a watch one must see in person to form an opinion.

View attachment 1443394
And here is the standard time only in the same 42mm size next to my 1675 as a reference. The time only is ultra-slim so wears extremely well. The dual time sits a bit off the wrist even though it is still under 8mm, I think.

View attachment 1443395
When it comes to unusual cases, this one certainly deserves a look. I don’t think this looks too dandyish when worn. I highly recommend it if in the dress watch market.

But the VC you dream of is also amazing. I especially like the newer smaller size. My colleague has it and it is a real eye catcher on the wrist.
the 1st watch is great - you should check out FP Journe I feel like you will like this style. The second standard watch looks like the typical jewelry company making uninspired fancy watches to me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the VC American 1921. It looks stunning in platinum. I love the heft of platinum watches. My dad has 2 watches in platinum (a Lange 1 and a JLC) and it just adds something special to them. I haven't tried the platinum 1921, just the RG and YG. I've been hearing rumors about a price increase with sister company Cartier, so it will be interesting to see if VC and other brands under the Richemont umbrella raise prices on their gold pieces, especially since gold is now trading at over $2K per ounce.

View attachment 1443394

Your 1675 Looks great! As for the Van Cleef & Arpels, I really like the Pierre Arpels Heuer d'ici etc, but the time only version just doesn't do anything for me. Still as you mentioned, its a piece one would want to buy pre-owned or through a gray dealer. I would imagine it will be a tough watch to source at a gray as I doubt the boutique sells many and at least where I live all the ADs have closed and been replaced by boutiques.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words Dino and Omega Male, I plan to give it a lot of wrist time. Surprisingly, the wait time on it was just a little over 8 months...given some of the other stories I have heard, I think I may have lucked out a bit ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics