• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this 5500 that I inherited a while back that needed some repair and service. It's now looking and running great. I've been giving a lot of thought to its wearability given that it's on the small side and it's intended to be a sports watch. The solution that I'm testing is to dress it up a little -- so I went with this brown round-scaled crocodile strap. I like it but I'm not convinced that this is the optimal solution and am now considering a brown non-distressed leather strap. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by that photo, I think it looks great.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this 5500 that I inherited a while back that needed some repair and service. It's now looking and running great. I've been giving a lot of thought to its wearability given that it's on the small side and it's intended to be a sports watch. The solution that I'm testing is to dress it up a little -- so I went with this brown round-scaled crocodile strap. I like it but I'm not convinced that this is the optimal solution and am now considering a brown non-distressed leather strap. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
Looks great to me. Personally, with that case shape and dial I don't really consider it a sports watch. To me, its sort of a versatile wear it for anything watch, which is bit more on the business casual/to dress side of the aisle than in the sports watch category. Enjoy it.
cheers.gif

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice combo. Rock on.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll echo the sentiment that the strap you have is a great option, especially if it's a matte alligator. Even if it's not it will break in over time. I think the alligator is a better option than a non-distressed leather strap as well assuming the leather was going to be rather plain.

new addition to my collection

Tudor Black Bay Black, great shape, paid $2k flat, excellent shape

Congratulations. Very good price considering it's the black. I was looking at Black Bays about 2-3 weeks ago and while I wasn't shopping for a black it was definitely trending higher than the burgundy and the blue. Now just put a distressed leather strap on it.
wink.gif

haTTer

Reaction score
mt 16700 GMT

"Introduced circa 1988, the ref. 16700 replaced the ref. 16750 in the Rolex catalog while remaining less expensive than it’s more evolved sibling, the GMT-II. Featuring the updated cal. 3175 (which functioned identically to the previous cal. 3075), the 16700 was sold until the remarkably late date of 1999, although overall production seems relatively small in comparison to the more advanced & functional 16710 GMT-II. Also, it appears that the 16700 was only offered with the Pepsi bezel insert to distinguish it from the GMT-II (though it’s certain changes to the insert could be made on customer request)."

Last edited:

Nikolaus

Reaction score
Time to read the whole of TWAT1 perhaps? If not, take a look at DL's Best Dress Watches Under $5000 for inspiration. We never did get around to the best sports watches under $5000. But the answer is a used Rolex Submariner*. Probably.
boxing[1].gif
Just out of curiosity, what makes a used Rolex Submariner better than a new Omega Planet Ocean? (normal life use)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
As the little gif implied, that was a deliberate polemic. But one reason might be that a used Sub won't depreciate.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
okay @mimo ,valid point.
However, it sounds as preferring a higher-up brand car to a new one, a used Porsche to a new BMW, because you can get more "bling" for the money.
Now, one does not wear a car; to put a used watch on ones wrist is more difficult. For those that don't have issues and are into the brand thing, certainly a valid proposal.

I must add that I don't particularly care for Omega's dress watches; the industrial non elegant design is just not my thing, even if I like their movements and the overall finish; they have quite "honest" prices compared to the rest of watchmaking industry.

Winot

Reaction score
Which Glashütte Original Senator Sixties should I get - white, black or blue?

I'm leaning towards the white as I like the combination with the gold hands and suspect it'll be easier to wear. I like the idea of the blue but it doesn't sing to me in the flesh. The black really pops in real life.

firenze_rob

Reaction score

Which Glashütte Original Senator Sixties should I get - white, black or blue?

I'm leaning towards the white as I like the combination with the gold hands and suspect it'll be easier to wear. I like the idea of the blue but it doesn't sing to me in the flesh. The black really pops in real life.

I say white, the contrast of the gold markers in real life is alluring. I've been looking to get a sixties square chrono for a while; but couldn't justify getting another chrono.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads