• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the above, the single piece strap is a ZULU, while the double piece is a NATO. I prefer ZULU straps myself.

This is not correct (even though some on-line sources claim so). At least it's not universally true that Zulu straps are from a single piece, as a quick search will show. But they can be made with a single strap:

What seems to be the unifying quality of Zulu straps is the chunkier hardware.

Timefactors, where I've bought my NATOs and single piece straps from, call their single piece straps for "RAF pattern straps" (they're still listed on the site under their NATO models).

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the hollow link oyster bracelets, have anyone of you heard about a refinishing / refurbishing service for these? I met the guy who does the repairs here (which I actually hadn't bothered to look up until right now) - if I understood him correctly the bracelet comes back feeling almost like new, which may require some addition of material (welding on and polishing?) to achieve.

Apart from any dive in resale value from not being all original, what are your thoughts on this?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the hollow link oyster bracelets, have anyone of you heard about a refinishing / refurbishing service for these?

Michael Young of Classic Watch Repair in Hong Kong has a very good reputation for refurbishing Rolex bracelets. He is very well-known for tightening-up sagging bracelets.

He's got very good reviews on various watch-related internet fora.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ From a quick glance it looks like they do something similar to the bracelets as the site I linked - but at a lower price. It looks like they offer an Oyster bracelet restoration for $180 (which seems really cheap for the work that must go into it).

I just called Classic390 and their price for restoring a bracelet in steel (using the same 904L steel as Rolex, where necessary) is $550 - which actually seems quite reasonable. Might be worth it for by nearly 30 year old sub bracelet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ From a quick glance it looks like they do something similar to the bracelets as the site I linked - but at a lower price. It looks like they offer an Oyster bracelet restoration for $180 (which seems really cheap for the work that must go into it).

I just called Classic390 and their price for restoring a bracelet in steel (using the same 904L steel as Rolex, where necessary) is $550 - which actually seems quite reasonable. Might be worth it for by nearly 30 year old sub bracelet.

I have heard of oyster bracelets being restored, although I had more commonly heard of it on old jubilees (with hollow center links) or Day Date bracelets (as gold is so soft) that have lots of stretch and need restoration.

I doubt having the bracelet restored impacts the value of the watch the same way as having the case restored/refinished. People generally value a watch having its original case finish and beveled edges. Bracelets especially with big flat links like an oyster it is probably less of an issue. Where that becomes an issue is something like an Oysterquartz bracelet or RO bracelet.

Before, restoring your old bracelet, just for the hell of it, I would call Rolex USA (if you are in the US) and ask how much a replacement bracelet would cost. If its not that much more than the restoration, you might be able to simply buy a new bracelet and keep the original (provided you do not send it to them on a bracelet...Rolex US only replaces parts on a trade in basis, but if you supply it on a cheap leather strap or no strap...what can they do?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess what. Got this ************* back from the factory. Took two months to fix and they didn’t charge me a dime. Who ******* cares.
805ABAE5-4CF9-445E-8504-3CD26C37072B.jpeg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard of oyster bracelets being restored, although I had more commonly heard of it on old jubilees (with hollow center links) or Day Date bracelets (as gold is so soft) that have lots of stretch and need restoration.

I doubt having the bracelet restored impacts the value of the watch the same way as having the case restored/refinished. People generally value a watch having its original case finish and beveled edges. Bracelets especially with big flat links like an oyster it is probably less of an issue. Where that becomes an issue is something like an Oysterquartz bracelet or RO bracelet.

Before, restoring your old bracelet, just for the hell of it, I would call Rolex USA (if you are in the US) and ask how much a replacement bracelet would cost. If its not that much more than the restoration, you might be able to simply buy a new bracelet and keep the original (provided you do not send it to them on a bracelet...Rolex US only replaces parts on a trade in basis, but if you supply it on a cheap leather strap or no strap...what can they do?

I'm in Europe, where I believe that, at least earlier, Rolex was less severe with restrictions on replacement parts - but I don't know if that has changed to be more uniform worldwide.

Getting a quote on a new bracelet does makes sense before going ahead with a restoration.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Europe, where I believe that, at least earlier, Rolex was less severe with restrictions on replacement parts - but I don't know if that has changed to be more uniform worldwide.

Getting a quote on a new bracelet does makes sense before going ahead with a restoration.

Yes, it seems in many parts of Europe, Rolex service centers have been much more lax about replacing parts and they didn't make people do it on a trade in basis. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide on the bracelet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess what. Got this ************* back from the factory. Took two months to fix and they didn’t charge me a dime. Who ******* cares.
View attachment 1433990

Wow, 2 months is like a world record in speediness for them. I can remember many years ago, my Dad sent in a Nautilus for service and it took nearly 8 months to get it back. Anyway, glad to hear it all worked out for you.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Throw back to when there were watch gtg's around here. CS is mine though can't fault a good CB
ilT6whfKWPauFwMnnQutZ4mpR0j-gtM0xTCYVxT4Ls6hweqtoKRmBlXEJyvGEDGUI9ti6uTFaBIYQfHwJIIa7OR-gnzLHnNF1DTXehpecEGYsPEo1D4ul5joUOnNGSIMam8ZAoO6V_K-OIK-Uh-qGpOgZCgc3xKdeQjORUEDcKLLVQOystf18iGeIJ5FwuPLOvWmXxD4nRDsWzkckfdmGBMze9I7-4ZdvVrd3S7e9qsg40HBkSXcdf00yla2k6xcetTPyTaB35bL509OCK-uzgB_m99SPFKaZxObFDEwfu7ZqN3GWW--qyTdrcfCuw7soZ9RMvJK8LZQnthcLkfEBGXk6xOeg1yyuXBae_24_HhQAxIYY9n2cqxgGlJW2z7pRe00iVyG0PBcG0Zs884E9ieCYb-Z9MmsMaYVIP9SKs1cr_jkQl532P9vhVp2L-s80cJOjKInO407zA3mdak8tc1uRA7hXTOamEjUWusAryqoLiTx2FZRfOFUv0i9It_nIlYlWkJ4FQYrhrMbOn11D5R5yYDmSxZ99oErhrKpixxRTUwNmiPTy6wcGqsh1cKx2tE-un8xTQHSPa96N9AImFBPtlZ65s35QwA0WCqSsNU8ME-8g3QSPAj7pYFetcFx0NPQowF2a1NpYmxgjJ-_40C6NdkenL3cdldFHa-IGw1QXLo5glmU0-Ji5UWaWnc=w1250-h937-no

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about GTGs like Redbar. What's to stop a bad guy from finding out about it and robbing it? I don't own any watches worth five figures, but I imagine a lot of folks who attend GTGs do and would be skittish about that possibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics