• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In search of an everyday watch, I ended up getting a Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on Sinn 356 and Nomos Ahoi. Please let me know if this watch belongs in the other watch thread.... View attachment 1421300

Follow up question: For my manual (1863 movement), is it better to let it run out of power when I don't wear it or should I manually wind it everyday? Sorry for the dumb question. The watch in question is an Omega Speedmaster Pro.
Nice - from what I've been told, winding it daily is best. I have a watch with the Omega 321 movement from 1967. Bought it from the original owner, who hadn't worn it in 21 years, but had wound it every single day!

It was in nearly perfect working condition with just one component needing replacement - it had simply worn down after that many years, and a servicing, and it had only been serviced once previusly in 53 years of running! So your 1863 should work juuuust fine (I hace a 1863 Speedy Pro as well).

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium... Please let me know if this watch belongs in the other watch thread...
...let it run out of power when I don't wear it or should I manually wind it...
Congratulations - that is a really neat modern take on a classic design. And all watches are welcome in this thread - it's the other one that confines to a price limit as a guide. It's nice to have variety alongside every graduate's new Submariner ;)

As for the Speedy, there is no harm in letting it run down. Leaving it for months and years without operating is not so healthy, but if you're wearing it in rotation it's all good.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Congratulations - that is a really neat modern take on a classic design. And all watches are welcome in this thread - it's the other one that confines to a price limit as a guide. It's nice to have variety alongside every graduate's new Submariner ;)

As for the Speedy, there is no harm in letting it run down. Leaving it for months and years without operating is not so healthy, but if you're wearing it in rotation it's all good.
Thanks, @mimo. Good thing I asked about the Speedy or I could have done some damage thinking I was preserving it.

Graduates get Rolex Subs as graduation present? Hot dang. I would defer to a more affordable Seamaster.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-094928_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-094928_Firefox.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 42

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @mimo. Good thing I asked about the Speedy or I could have done some damage thinking I was preserving it.

Graduates get Rolex Subs as graduation present? Hot dang. I would defer to a more affordable Seamaster.
That’s a nice looking watch (although I’m not a fan of the vestigial second crown, but I suppose it’s Omega‘s SM trademark). I think the GMT feature is the most useful complication beyond the usual three hands and date. All too often the GMT indeces clutter up the dial but I really like when they are on the rehaut / flange like in this version and the Omega deep blacks. I wish they would hurry up and do a similar feature on the newer Seamaster 300s. I was hoping to see this on the Baselworld releases but of course that never happened this year.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
This horology hobby will be killing my wallet. I don't know about other Seamasters but that is one of the best looking one and probably my next purchase.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing a few pictures of the new Seiko 62MAS reissue and couple other watches that got in on the action:

Mas10.jpg

MAS3.jpg

Interesting how the Divers 65 and 62MAS differ with regard to dial and bezel size.

Mas9.jpg

Comparing it with a Shogun for size purposes.

Mas8.jpg

Attachments

• MAS1.jpg
    MAS1.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 60

SmellBlind

Reaction score
Sharing a few pictures of the new Seiko 62MAS reissue and couple other watches that got in on the action:

How do you like the Seiko? Did you look at any of the other dial colors? Considering a blue one myself. Based on your wrist shot, it wears a bit larger than I'd have expected.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you like the Seiko? Did you look at any of the other dial colors? Considering a blue one myself. Based on your wrist shot, it wears a bit larger than I'd have expected.

It wears smaller than that picture indicates and fairly consistent with how you might think a 40 mm watch should wear. If you're familiar with the Oris Divers' 65, it wears fairly similar to that from a top down view, but the Seiko sits higher on the wrist visually due to a larger midcase.

I like it even more than I thought I would. The quality is a serious step up from the normal Seiko Prospex 6R15 movement watches with the case, dial, crystal and bracelet each getting a nice upgrade. I'd put the quality just a notch below my Oris Divers 65 and Aquis. Also, one added bonus is that it has gained only two seconds in two days.

For me, it was all about the gray dial due to the similarity with the original 62MAS. The pictures of the blue dial one look great, but I'm hearing that people are having a tough time sourcing them, due to the limited numbers.

SmellBlind

Reaction score
It wears smaller than that picture indicates and fairly consistent with how you might think a 40 mm watch should wear. If you're familiar with the Oris Divers' 65, it wears fairly similar to that from a top down view, but the Seiko sits higher on the wrist visually due to a larger midcase.

I like it even more than I thought I would. The quality is a serious step up from the normal Seiko Prospex 6R15 movement watches with the case, dial, crystal and bracelet each getting a nice upgrade. I'd put the quality just a notch below my Oris Divers 65 and Aquis. Also, one added bonus is that it has gained only two seconds in two days.

For me, it was all about the gray dial due to the similarity with the original 62MAS. The pictures of the blue dial one look great, but I'm hearing that people are having a tough time sourcing them, due to the limited numbers.
Thanks! The grey does look fantastic, you may have tipped me. I like the black rubber strap and that definitely looks better with grey than it would with the blue. Where did you get the strap?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The grey does look fantastic, you may have tipped me. I like the black rubber strap and that definitely looks better with grey than it would with the blue. Where did you get the strap?

The two straps in the pictures are an Uncle Seiko waffle strap and tropic strap. I like both, but the waffle strap is the one that keeps finding its way back on this watch.

It's also hard to describe or photograph the dial. Seiko did an amazing job with this one.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got this Speedmaster and really love it! This is the 38mm co-axial, which is sort of Omega's continuation of the discontinued reduced (but without the awkward modular movement of the reduced...Also, this is the black dial iteration, which has the usual circular subdials rather than the ovals that occupy the standard in the 38 collection...). It's interesting to me that so many folks lost their **** over Tudor's Black Bay 58 for being the perfect size down from the preceding Black Bays (form 41mm down to 39mm), and yet never consider the benefits of a smaller Speedy (I mean, I too love my moon watch, but on my smaller wrist, I find it very clunky to wear...). Anyway, just wanted to post this to share my appreciation for this particular, under-the-radar Omega...

IMG_2621.jpg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got this Speedmaster and really love it! This is the 38mm co-axial, which is sort of Omega's continuation of the discontinued reduced (but without the awkward modular movement of the reduced...Also, this is the black dial iteration, which has the usual circular subdials rather than the ovals that occupy the standard in the 38 collection...). It's interesting to me that so many folks lost their **** over Tudor's Black Bay 58 for being the perfect size down from the preceding Black Bays (form 41mm down to 39mm), and yet never consider the benefits of a smaller Speedy (I mean, I too love my moon watch, but on my smaller wrist, I find it very clunky to wear...). Anyway, just wanted to post this to share my appreciation for this particular, under-the-radar Omega...

View attachment 1422662
I think the difference between the BB58 and the smaller Speedies for me is the proportions. They seem well balanced to me on the BB, but I've never really cared for the way the dial comes together on the smaller versions as much as the original Speedy Pro. I wish it was different because the 38mm would technically be a better size for my wrists. That being said, that's all just my own opinion and hope it doesn't detract from your own enjoyment of your piece. Of the 38mm, the circular subdials are 100x > oval.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the difference between the BB58 and the smaller Speedies for me is the proportions. They seem well balanced to me on the BB, but I've never really cared for the way the dial comes together on the smaller versions as much as the original Speedy Pro. I wish it was different because the 38mm would technically be a better size for my wrists. That being said, that's all just my own opinion and hope it doesn't detract from your own enjoyment of your piece. Of the 38mm, the circular subdials are 100x > oval.

Good point. I agree that the 42mm professional has unbeatable proportions when considering the watch on its own. However, the proportion of the watch on the wrist is perhaps the more salient issue for me (it's obviously such a different experience to spend so much time researching watches online via isolated macro images and then having remarkably different reactions to the watches on the wrist!). So while I prefer the Speedy Pro in the abstract, I prefer the 38mm on _my_ wrist (so no harm in any critique of the 38...I hear you, but I love it).

I love the BB58 too, btw! I'm just slightly astonished with the seemingly overwhelming demand for the smaller size of the 58 vs original heritage compared to the release of the 38 speedy line. You make a good point about the fidelity to proportion on the smaller 58, but I was wondering if the unisex vibe that Omega has clearly situated the 38 line in is more responsible (since 38 is kind of the threshold for women's watches...and Tudor has made no attempt to signal similarly and keeps the size just over that threshold at 39...). Anyway...

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. I agree that the 42mm professional has unbeatable proportions when considering the watch on its own. However, the proportion of the watch on the wrist is perhaps the more salient issue for me (it's obviously such a different experience to spend so much time researching watches online via isolated macro images and then having remarkably different reactions to the watches on the wrist!). So while I prefer the Speedy Pro in the abstract, I prefer the 38mm on _my_ wrist (so no harm in any critique of the 38...I hear you, but I love it).

I love the BB58 too, btw! I'm just slightly astonished with the seemingly overwhelming demand for the smaller size of the 58 vs original heritage compared to the release of the 38 speedy line. You make a good point about the fidelity to proportion on the smaller 58, but I was wondering if the unisex vibe that Omega has clearly situated the 38 line in is more responsible (since 38 is kind of the threshold for women's watches...and Tudor has made no attempt to signal similarly and keeps the size just over that threshold at 39...). Anyway...

I think part of the difference is that the original black bays wear a lot bigger than a regular speedy pro, especially in terms of thickness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads