1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you e-mailing or calling? Get them on the phone. Blatantly asking for discounts by e-mail is not the right strategy. Call, tell them you are interested in a few different watches. Name a few, even ones you aren't really going to buy. Ask them about availability and pricing. Then ask them for best possible pricing on the one you actually want. Negotiate from there.

Try the larger dealers. They will be sort of hit or miss. Almost all will give you some discount. Many will not budge beyond a token amount. But many will play ball and go to the 15-20% range without much effort. Smaller dealers are more likely to clench tight.

The worst people to give you advice about buying watches are people who sell watches.

2 people like this.
  2. chanoch

chanoch Well-Known Member

I've had good exchanges by phone and email, but your point is well-taken. The grey market dealer is giving me the 20% off plus VAT and handling the shipping. He seems to have a good reputation and has confirmed that the watch has the full, 2-year GO warranty, with papers from an AD. I really doubt that I'll save much more than that.

I will try to call a couple places when business opens in Europe tomorrow, as you suggest, but at this point don't see much more room. At $7200 (GO Senator Date Moon) with papers, GO warranty, and all the trimmings, I think my shopping may be done.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Sounds like you made a good choice. :fonz: So you still have the trade-in credit with Tourneau?

4. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

Guys how are the grey market dealers able to give hick discounts on watches like AP?

5. chanoch

@ambulance chaser

Thanks for your encouragement. Yes, I still have the trade-in credit, which I will try to sell back to them for their original offer. I doubt they will do it, in which case I'll see if I can sell it or keep it until they have a good sale or maybe use it for service, etc. Open to suggestions on what to do with it. Guess I made a mistake... not my first, not my last!

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If you are able to sell it to them, I believe it will be a lesser amount. I vaguely recall a friend bringing in a watch years ago, and they asked if he was selling or trading, because the amount they would give is greater with a trade. Wishing you luck.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Apply the credit toward a no-date Sub. The Rolex will remind you of your dad, and you will have a great two-watch collection.

4 people like this.
  8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

9. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

I had recently come to the conclusion that 39-41mm is the perfect size for my wrist. I had even 'decided' that my 'final' 2 watches would be 2 of the following 3: a ceramic Daytona, RO 15300/15202, or the upcoming VC Overseas. I made a 'retail therapy' trip to NYC this past weekend to check out various boutiques in general & specifically to check out the 15202, FPJ Chronometre Bleu, GO's offerings, & hopefully the new Yachtmaster out in person.

Unfortunately the FPJ boutique did not have the bleu in stock & I was not able to find the YM. The 15202 was simply amazing on the wrist but I'm having a hell of a hard time justifying spending that kind of coin on a single watch. I was able to try on a watch I've long admired but have wished was much smaller: the GO Senator Observer. It's even more amazing in person & I've found myself lusting for that watch since trying it on. However I've had a bad experience with the last 44mm watch I bought, an Omega Speedy 9300, a watch I found to be very bulky & heavy when worn on the bracelet (less so on a strap). I find myself rationalizing the GO by trying to convince myself that it'll wear smaller & comfortable as it's a thinner watch, that being said I would be purchasing it on a bracelet as I like the flexibility of being able to wear a watch on a strap or bracelet.

I've attached pics, what do you all think? (BTW, my current 'collection' includes a BLNR, Reverso ultrathin duoface bleu, & a Speedy 3572.50 Mitsukoshi conversion)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I've found 36-42mm being suitable for me, with 38-40 being my sweet spot.

1 person likes this.
  11. tricky

tricky Senior member

Same here.

1 person likes this.
  12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

^ I've always liked that GO and think you wear it well. I think I would prefer the white dialed version though.

13. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

@IGotId my vote is for the Chonometre Bleu.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If you have to rationalize and convince yourself...then it might not be the right choice for you/your wrist.

Personally, this watch does nothing for me. I don't really like the dial ...I find it lifeless, and it might be improved if the date were eliminated. I like the simple time only Senators or the date and moonphase model someone had posted earlier far more than this piece. Also, I really don't like anything over 41mm...they just become too clunky. However, you are the one who will be wearing it so if it puts a smile on your face...then go for it! Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 person likes this.
  15. jamesryan123

jamesryan123 Active Member

For anyone in the UK, I was informed by a JLC AD in London that prices are to go up between 8-10% on models in the second or third week of August following the movement against the pound of late.

Disappointing, but at the same time there is a huge disparity now between RRP in the EU/USA and the UK. I suspect all major brands will be following suit.

16. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

The standout on that list is the ultra-thin Royal Oak; I seriously love that watch even though I know I'd scuff the crap out of it in no time as a father-to-be. A fellow watch obsessive I met in Trieste had the ref. 15002 version, and it confirmed my impression that a Jumbo of any kind is definitely something to get if I ever grow up. It's more expensive than the Overseas, but I think it's money better-spent and it'll likely hold its value better. That FPJ is another favourite that I'd currently have little opportunity to wear.

But in the meantime, a thought on the Daytona: have you considered the 16520? I'd thought about it for years, and it seems to be an unusually good time to get one... so I did, and I'd have no hesitation recommending someone with an interest in them to do likewise instead of buying the ceramic version.

It's just as good as I'd hoped, too. What I appreciate most about the watch is how it offers a perfect combination of vintage charm and modern no-stress wearability. It also eliminates my least-favourite element of the newer models, which is their fully-polished lugs. While this probably doesn't seem like a big deal, I find that it makes a significant difference on the wrist.

Also, I'm still not entirely convinced by the ceramic bezel on the 116500LN, as I think it's a bit of a step backwards both aesthetically and functionally. Obviously, it's the hot thing right now, but the hype will soon fade as the watch inevitably becomes more common.

Something else to think about: while I'm not a big off-brand-parts proponent, it's worth mentioning that it's possible to swap in an aftermarket ceramic bezel onto 116520, which will keep the steel one looking brand-new and give the exact same look as the 116500LN in the black-dial option. There are already a few of these indistinguishable modded ones around, which is sure to affect the cachet of the real ceramic one.

Personally, I find that the 16520 as a complete package is somehow not only the sportiest, but also the most refined among self-winding Daytona models — especially when it comes to the dial. Here's a shot of mine on the watchmaker's bench:

[​IMG]
    image credit: horologer

It also offers a unique movement that's by far the most thoroughly-reworked example of ébauche-based production from Rolex; this skilled-labour-intensive transformation is the reason that the steel Daytona was so hard to come by during its 1988-2000 production run. Although it's technically inferior to the 4130, it's still a damn good movement, and there's no doubt that it's far more collectible.

116500LNs will steadily become easier to get. By the time most folks will be able to get a hold of one, it won't be that special or rare — though it'll still be a great watch. Conversely, good 16520s will become more and more difficult to come by as time goes on, and it'll always be a watch that's very uncommon in real life.

Lately, I'm noticing a few steel 4030-movement Daytona examples for sale in great shape at decent prices. If you're thinking Daytona, I figure you have nothing to lose by getting one now instead of waiting for a ceramic version to become available.

And as much as I'm infatuated with the 16520, I'd say that that either all-steel one is a good buy right now:

[​IMG]
    photo by me

[​IMG]
    photo by Loevhagen

(I got some tips on how to take less-sucky camera photos today. :teach:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. Ambulance Chaser

Exact same for me. The largest watches I feel comfortable wearing are the Panerai Radiomir (42 mm) and the IWC Portuguese Chrono (40.9 mm). I don't think I would spend a lot of money on a watch over 40 mm. The two I have over that size are cheapies: The Swatch Sistem51 and the Seiko Orange Monster.

1 person likes this.
  18. chanoch

OK, for those who have been following my little journey, I placed my order for the GO Senator Date Moon today with watch-lounge.de (Frank Schuster) via Chrono24. Could have saved the 3.5% fee, perhaps, and dealt with him directly, but as I am new to grey market sales, I decided the extra security was worth it. Chrono24 requires wire transfer of the funds to an escrow account in Luxembourg -- bit of a pain, actually, but minor. I'll let you know how the transaction works out.

Tourneau will take back my trade-in gift card and refund the value of their original offer (by check), which is entirely fair and appreciated. They've actually be great to deal with, and offered me a nice discount, too (10%). But they couldn't come close to the 35% I'm saving off MSRP with Frank and Chrono24. In any case, the Tourneau side of this little journey is done.

Here's a picture of the watch on my wrist at Wempe's, which was willing to come down from the $11,500 MSRP to $10K -- nice, and better than Tourneau, but nothing like the savings from Europe once the VAT is discounted.

[​IMG]

I didn't have time today to call ADs in Europe, but I doubt that I would do much better and am at peace with the direction I've taken -- though of course I'll feel even better when I get the watch! Many thanks to everyone here for the great advice and suggestions, including Al over at Armstrong Rockwell. Looking forward to sharing a final pic or two when it arrives ...

1 person likes this.
  19. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

A watch with character. Congrats

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  20. Ambulance Chaser

Congratulations. It sounds like you got a good deal. At some point, your time is more valuable than saving an extra couple hundred dollars.