• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

an draoi

Reaction score
2) The watches everyone wants - those models on "allocation" - are sold to people on a "wait list." Here's the trick that list does not function in chronological order. It is fluid. You get preference on the list according to spend history and relationship with the AD. For example, I didn't like the Pepsi GMT when it came out. In fact, I hated it. Then, I saw it in person. I called my AD and had one in a month. Because of my history and relationship there, I jumped ahead of everyone on the line. That's how it works. If you don't have the spend history, you'll spend years on the list. Want to climb up the list? You have to buy more stuff, more of whatever is on the shelves.

It's all a game, a very expensive game.
  • As @George Red noted, I don't think the "waiting lists" are chronological at all. My AD had my personal list and when I got the BLRO in December I was told there were 70 other people on the list. I'm also expecting to get one if not two stainless steel sports models this Spring, one of which I'm pretty sure will be discontinued this year and the other I'm also somewhat sure will be surprisingly discontinued this year as well. I'll be very fortunate to get either of those I know, but on the other hand I've definitely "paid for the privilege." However I would be very frustrated if I didn't have the opportunity to buy if I had the means but weren't given the opportunity. I tried with two other ADs with no success, though they probably already have well established clients since they've been around forever. In fact one of the owners when I complimented him on his previous gen Explorer II said he could sell me that one, yes, his own personal watch...
PP's waiting lists are certainly no longer chronological. That 3-year wait for a 5711 you were quoted 4 years ago? "Since you don't have a history of purchases with our boutique, then I'm afraid you're looking at another 3 - 4 years, sir." Assuming that they keep you on the list at all. Still, at least they are being open about it.

This idea of ADs selling sought-after models above MSRP - is this an exclusively north American thing? I've not seen this ever happening in the UK, although my watch purchase history does not extend very far back. If it used to be common (in the US and/or elsewhere) and is now prohibited by manufacturers - and sales to grey dealers/flippers risk cancellation of the AD's contract - then the habit of ADs selectively holding back in-demand models to motivate/reward their highest-spending customers is an understandable strategy (still frustrating though).

Scuppers

Reaction score
PP's waiting lists are certainly no longer chronological. That 3-year wait for a 5711 you were quoted 4 years ago? "Since you don't have a history of purchases with our boutique, then I'm afraid you're looking at another 3 - 4 years, sir." Assuming that they keep you on the list at all. Still, at least they are being open about it.

This idea of ADs selling sought-after models above MSRP - is this an exclusively north American thing? I've not seen this ever happening in the UK, although my watch purchase history does not extend very far back. If it used to be common (in the US and/or elsewhere) and is now prohibited by manufacturers - and sales to grey dealers/flippers risk cancellation of the AD's contract - then the habit of ADs selectively holding back in-demand models to motivate/reward their highest-spending customers is an understandable strategy (still frustrating though).
It’s real, and it’s here down under.
I’ll sell my 5711 for 70usd, if interested.

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
^ I purchased mine at the MSRP. I’m not aware of AD’s inflating prices like that. I’m sure they are not doing so out of the kindness of their hearts but due to some contractual limitations.

That’s probably why many seek out AD’s initially as they don’t want to pay 2 to 3 times the MSRP on the gray market.

I will say that when I purchased mine it was one of the most bizarre experiences ever.

Opethian

Reaction score
Rolex Oyster perpetual date, 34 mm steel and gold with the engine turned Bezel.
Birth year 1988 piece that came as full set with box and punched papers that has a purchase date of 1989 but I believe it was made in 1988.
20190919_180337.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That's Classic.
makes me want a 90's Heuer with the "Band".

an draoi

Reaction score
^ I purchased mine at the MSRP. I’m not aware of AD’s inflating prices like that. I’m sure they are not doing so out of the kindness of their hearts but due to some contractual limitations.

That’s probably why many seek out AD’s initially as they don’t want to pay 2 to 3 times the MSRP on the gray market.

I will say that when I purchased mine it was one of the most bizarre experiences ever.
What was this? Nautilus? Describe bizarre.

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
What was this? Nautilus? Describe bizarre.
Sorry.....stainless Daytona.

I purchased it in 2014. I honestly did not know about the whole scarcity and waitlist thing at the time.

I went into the AD, spoke with a sales associate and had connected with before about the watch. I asked if he had any to show me. He appeared confused and told me he wasn’t sure if he had any. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back. Said he still didn’t know. Went into the managers office, came out and said they might have one in the safe.

disappeared again. Saw her chatting with the manager again. Then another SA came out to help. He said they weren’t sure if they had any and the vault was locked. Another Tete-a-tete with the manager. Came out and said they are calling someone to open the vault.

vault was opened, watch came out and from there it was handled like any other transaction.

Opethian

Reaction score
Sorry.....stainless Daytona.

I purchased it in 2014. I honestly did not know about the whole scarcity and waitlist thing at the time.

I went into the AD, spoke with a sales associate and had connected with before about the watch. I asked if he had any to show me. He appeared confused and told me he wasn’t sure if he had any. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back. Said he still didn’t know. Went into the managers office, came out and said they might have one in the safe.

disappeared again. Saw her chatting with the manager again. Then another SA came out to help. He said they weren’t sure if they had any and the vault was locked. Another Tete-a-tete with the manager. Came out and said they are calling someone to open the vault.

vault was opened, watch came out and from there it was handled like any other transaction.
I never did and probably never will buy brand new Rolex from the AD, the waiting list thing is absurd.

d4nimal

Reaction score
I had a friend who a couple years ago or so was offered a new Batman at two different ADs while he was just browsing. He plans to buy one eventually but was not ready at the time. Did not want to tell him that when he’s ready for it, it may not be ready for him. He didn’t have the $$$ to move on it, and flipping for profit is awesome until it’s not.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
There was one in stock. in the glass case.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.