• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just easy to get used to a certain level of affluence, especially if it comes gradually. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your good fortune as long as you understand that not everyone is not at your level of affluence and you are not a dick about it. I honestly haven't really seen much of that in this thread, and the one poster who was like that is now gone.
I was wondering about Riva. Every watch to him was overpriced and just the masses following trends except for the stuff he owned.
He also liked to talk about some secret Taiwanese wealth cabal that controlled the world.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, that thread title was written in jest, and chosen by the thread starter. It's not as though people were ghetto-ized, but the culture is diffferent.

I think that this is an unfair assessment, of both win enthusiasts and watch enthusiasts.

It's just easy to get used to a certain level of affluence, especially if it comes gradually. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your good fortune as long as you understand that not everyone is not at your level of affluence and you are not a dick about it. I honestly haven't really seen much of that in this thread, and the one poster who was like that is now gone.

Conversely, class jealousy is equally unseemly. It seems more palatable only because traditionally, those with resources can protect themselves better, while those without are naturally more vulnerable. However, I feel that the dynamics of the internet have corroded this to a large degree (a Styleforum account is the same whether you have a net worth of $100M or a net worth of $50), so civility from all sides is appreciated and expected.
I think what began this entire thing was me calling out what I initially saw as a distasteful comment. A flash of an incredibly expensive watch with a "suck it, haters" comment- it obviously had context, but I'm continuing to stand by that it wasn't exactly on tone with the fact that, yes, we do exist in a space with HNW individuals as well as working class people.

Anyway- if I'm being framed as simply a jealous hater being a dick, then there's not much point to having what I thought was more of an academic discussion on wealth signalling in the high-end watch community on a high-end watch thread. I'm obviously not calling for us to kill the rich or vote this way or that.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some info from the board on this: are there any recommended shops in NYC to get a watch strap to replace the OEM one that came with a Cartier Tank?

Camille Fournet used to have a B&M store but has now closed, although they have an e-commerce website. I'd like to know if there are any stores where I could walk in buy the strap I like, and have it installed in-store.

Any info is appreciated!
Jean Rousseau has a store that will make bespoke straps.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some info from the board on this: are there any recommended shops in NYC to get a watch strap to replace the OEM one that came with a Cartier Tank?

Camille Fournet used to have a B&M store but has now closed, although they have an e-commerce website. I'd like to know if there are any stores where I could walk in buy the strap I like, and have it installed in-store.

Any info is appreciated!
We make custom straps, but not in NYC. If you cannot find a place feel free to reach out.

-DL

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of it, though I have a feeling it's gonna be too similar to his Roadster, same goes for a Tank, or maybe even the Reverso.
I would suggest a Rolex Datejust, Oyster perpetual, some possibilities from Cartier are the Drive extra-thin (Although it is a manual), a Cartier Cle (although not especially thin, but an interesting case), a Tank Americaine in steel, a Ronde Solo. I really like Reversos although I don't own one, but some find them a hit or miss in terms of fit.

I agree with @Texasmade , check out the Jean Rousseau boutique. I visited them simply because I was walking past the boutique and I have friends who have purchased watch straps and leather goods from them and been very pleased. They have a tremendous selection of different leathers with different textures, exotic skins with varying scale sizes to meet one's taste, and a color selection that covered most colors in the rainbow.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
appreciate all the replies!

Will definitely check out JR and DL to see what my options are.

One last question: can the buckle currently on the OEM strap be swapped to the new strap without any damage to the OEM strap? Or do I need to buy another buckle as well?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="CBrown85, post: 10083745, member: 64336"
Anyway- if I'm being framed as simply a jealous hater being a dick
[/QUOTE]

I don't think that, and based on other posts I've read it doesn't seem like others feel that way about you. I just think you took the post the wrong way.

As for the value of watches posted here, its a specialty thread. One sort of know the kinds of watches that will be discussed. Much like on a John Lobb or EG appreciation thread, one knows there will be discussions and photos of expensive shoes. We all have different comfort levels in terms of what we spend on a variety of things. I would simply say, that one can have a hobby involving expensive items but it doesn't mean that owners aren't good guys, or don't do generous things for family, friends, or their community or charities.

I've always just looked at this thread as a place where those of us with of love of watches can gather, chat, and share photos of our latest obsession or purchase with others who are interested in this hobby. Some have watches far more expensive than mine, some have watches that are less expensive than mine, but it doesn't affect our friendship or happiness I feel for others if they get a watch that they really like or have wanted for a long time. While "Signalling" happens in the world, at least my sense of many of the long term posters here is that most are just sharing their experiences with their online friends and it's not about showing off. Cheers!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about Riva. Every watch to him was overpriced and just the masses following trends except for the stuff he owned.
He also liked to talk about some secret Taiwanese wealth cabal that controlled the world.
If you are genuinely interested, I recommend Joe Studwell's Asian Godfathers which despite the clickbaity title is actually quite a different take on the region from the usual analyses and (in my experience) not inaccurate. The parallels with the US are hard to find except perhaps with organised crime (and its tight relationship with a portion of US politics) prior to the inception of the Witness Protection Program and subsequent dismantling of the major families. Because that region drives much of the global market now, and is impacting the evolution of brands' offerings, it is worth understanding, I think.

d4nimal

Reaction score
I would suggest a Rolex Datejust, Oyster perpetual, some possibilities from Cartier are the Drive extra-thin (Although it is a manual), a Cartier Cle (although not especially thin, but an interesting case), a Tank Americaine in steel, a Ronde Solo. I really like Reversos although I don't own one, but some find them a hit or miss in terms of fit.
That's true about the Reverso fit. He has smaller wrists, so not sure if the lug length is going to be a killer. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One last question: can the buckle currently on the OEM strap be swapped to the new strap without any damage to the OEM strap? Or do I need to buy another buckle as well?
easy to swap

Scuppers

Reaction score

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should not be an issue at all, we do it all the time.

-DL

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm very fascinated about watch-guy culture and the nature of materialism around it. I have so many questions now.
I also think that watches are different from other material items as personal signifiers of wealth for several reasons. First, portability. You can't bring a bicycle or audio equipment into a business meeting. Second, snobbery. The average man on the street can identify a Porsche as an expensive luxury vehicle but can't do the same for, say, Richard Mille. Collecting expensive watches is like being a member of a secret club in that way. Third, the rise of the internet, specifically Instagram and Hodinkee's Talking Watches, has made showing off your watch collecting socially acceptable.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.