• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TT Deep Sea Alarm US version. I just realized that I have 7 Reissue / Tribute to models in my collection. It shows:
- I am a sucker for fake patina
- Drank too much nostalgia kool-aid from the Swiss brands

Regardless, DSA is the best of bunch I have..
I've really, really wanted this one for a while but right as I was about to pull the trigger I got a Tritium dial 14060 in a trade/sale and now I can't rationalize a 10k+ diver in my stable with a new to me Sub...

Scuppers

Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Great Hodinkee post reminding us that we should spend less time hunting for watches to acquire and more time enjoying the ones we have:

I think I'm getting close to the end of the horological road. I have more watches than anybody needs: ten total, and seven in the regular rotation. I'm looking for a watch to wear with a tuxedo, and then I should be done. Until my 50th birthday in a few years. ;)

d4nimal

Reaction score
We love this clean intro option by Elevon to anyone beginning to build there watch collection

View attachment 1339451
I get that you're an affiliate vendor here, but if you've spent time on this thread or seemed to care about watches enough not to talk like a superficial ad in the customer service royal "we," I think you'd know that this isn't the place for that post.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Stoked. My Omega 105.005 apparently just had a pin loose, so hopefully, that will be back in my grubby little hands soon. And now just waiting on @DavidLane to make me one sweeeeeet Stingray fob or my two register Omega 145.017, which may become my lkely daily... carrier.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone avoiding any purchase prior to SIHH and Baselworld ? Some great watches has been realised so far IWC Portuguese Chrono with in-house movement , Rado Captain Cook in Bronze , Longines Hydroconquest with Green dial. Really looking forward to see what Tudor does.

Scuppers

Reaction score
Is anyone avoiding any purchase prior to SIHH and Baselworld ? Some great watches has been realised so far IWC Portuguese Chrono with in-house movement , Rado Captain Cook in Bronze , Longines Hydroconquest with Green dial. Really looking forward to see what Tudor does.
Not sure they would classify as great.
That IWC finally plugged the Portuguese with an in-house is hardly a news story - and 20-22(?) years of cashing in on an external movement! Kinda falls into the insult category. (IMO)

as for Longines and rado - iterations ontheme are hardly note worthy.

Guess, in short, let’s see how the players play-out.

self nominate for “negative nelly”

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping Rolex updates the CHNR with a jubilee bracelet.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like the trend is to develop and use in house movements. I’m sure it’s in response to market forces.
I think that it's due to various reasons.

One is market forces - consumers have been "educated" by Instagram, watch blogs and so on into thinking that a watch with an in-house movement is better and so this has pushed manufacturers to develop in-house movements in response to that (misguided) belief.

Another reason is the Swatch group - it owns ETA, which also owns Valjoux, and Swatch also owns Lemania (now called "Manufacture Breguet"). I don't know whether it ended up happening, but when Swatch bought ETA (which made a lot of movements, or ebauches, for other watch companies) there was a belief that Swatch would restrict the supply of ETA and other movements so as to guarantee that its own brands had sufficient movements. This pushed at least some watch companies to develop their own in-house movements so that they didn't have to worry about Swatch suddenly cutting off supply.

Personally, I don't really care about in-house movements. There are an awful lot of fantastic watches out there that have used movements from other companies, rather than in-house movements. Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona? Valjoux movement. Omega Speedmaster Professional? Lemania movement (also, coincidentally, used in some Vacheron-Constantin and other watches). Classic IWC Pilot watches? ETA movements. Certainly, many of these were not "off the shelf" movements - they were given additional treatment and finishing, but they were not in-house movements and they were not unique to those watches or those brands.

I would far rather have a watch with a reliable, time-tested movement that has a plentiful supply of spare parts and that pretty much any watchmaker can service or repair. The problem with in-house movements - particularly all of the ones that have been developed recently - is that you have no idea how well they will work in the long run, and if you want to have them maintained you will have to send them back to the relevant company's service centre, where they will probably keep the watch for six months and charge you an arm and a leg for a service or for spare parts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.