• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1324081

Finally found one. “Retirement*” present to myself. After several weeks of searching, jumped on a 14060 from a local dealer.

* Finished first career, now on to Phase 2
Congrats and great choice. Better looking to my eye than their newer offerings and it will still take everything you can throw at it (I'm soon going into my 30th year with mine).

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CBrown85 , I like the black version of that Seiko: View attachment 1324120
Almost got one, but then thought that if I was going to get an black rectangular watch, I might rather have a Rado, then though I'd might as well get an Apple watch, and in the end I didn't get any of them...

Iirc, you wanted something subtle, as a teacher, but really liked Rolex designs. Can't remember if you considered Tudor, but I teach, and I really like the one I got recently. The Philippine symbol has special meaning for me. But in general, I like how it has some claim to the oyster design (my favorite) while avoiding the negative effects that a Rolex would have in some circles. It'd be great if it had an in house movement, particularly with the durability of Rolex's, but I'm guessing the eta movement makes servicing and repairs easy and relatively inexpensive. Shouldn't be difficult to find a Tudor Prince for around $1,000 that would super versatile as it looks equally good on a bracelet or strap.

Otoh, your last couple watches you posted were dedicated dress watches. You could get a really nice vintage dress watch by Gruen, Waltham, Elgin, etc. for under $100 and save the rest for a new steel sport watch with good water resistance, like that Oris you mentioned.

Absolutely- my grail watch is the BB58, but that's still an absurd amount to spend on a watch (in my opinion). I might play around with the idea of this Seiko for a while. I have a dive watch already with a pretty good movement- the Squale is definitely an homage of a submariner but I don't have the same turnoffs that the higher-income folk in here seem to.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats and great choice. Better looking to my eye than their newer offerings and it will still take everything you can throw at it (I'm soon going into my 30th year with mine).

A friend of mine's father bought his in the 80s and has worn it every day since then. Beautiful piece.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how so? Are you calling me a liar? or an amateur?

I am neither.

Feel free to re-read your own posts. My previous statement speaks for itself.

I never called you a liar. If you feel the need to continue the discussion further you can always PM me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1324081

Finally found one. “Retirement*” present to myself. After several weeks of searching, jumped on a 14060 from a local dealer.

* Finished first career, now on to Phase 2

Congrats on your retirement and on your retirement present to yourself! Looks great! Hope you enjoy the next phase of your life. Cheers! :cheers:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Feel free to re-read your own posts. My previous statement speaks for itself.

I never called you a liar. If you feel the need to continue the discussion further you can always PM me.

I re read my own posts every morning. so are you , or are you not calling me a liar, or an amateur?
You can't just call bullshit in here, and take it to PM.

Sf can be a bitter place. but i have nothing to gain by re-sharing my most embarrassing Thrift fail. other than to carry the shame of a missed opportunity.

If I say something is real? It is. period.

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost pulled the trigger on this yesterday. Something just told me to wait.

B5D88A1B-02EB-41C9-91CE-F2FBD4D77269.jpeg

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they're all decorated ETA movements, but there could be one or two outliers.
Huge Oris fan here. I have an Aquis and just picked up a Divers 65. All ETA movements, except they have an in house manual wind movement for a line of the pilot watches, but charging a huge premium for that. You can pick up a new Oris for around $1,500 at an AD, cheaper if you go used. Retail has gone over $2,000 for several models, which is crazy since I picked my Aquis up five years ago for just under a grand.
Oris uses sellita movements.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, What did you like/not like about it?

Just something wasn’t quite right about it. I think the blue was “blue enough” either that or theres no lume.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Just something wasn’t quite right about it. I think the blue was “blue enough” either that or theres no lume.
as much as @JohnAAG is the suave James Bond, I always thought you were styled on the Rugged James Bond. The man from the books.
That watch, with a weathered off white dial, and leather strap? i feel would be a winner.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as much as @JohnAAG is the suave James Bond, I always thought you were styled on the Rugged James Bond. The man from the books.
That watch, with a weathered off white dial, and leather strap? i feel would be a winner.

mhm, I’m leaning towards an Omega Aqua Terra to be honest.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
They're interchangeable in the most literal sense possible. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads