• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit late posting this, but Santa didn’t disappoint this year.

View attachment 1312415

Not the best shot (sock n all) and it looks smaller on my wrist in person, but an outstanding watch. If I didn’t suffer from this disease it’d be a contender for an “only watch”.

Congrats and enjoy it! Looks fantastic! I'm still waiting for an AD to call me so that my "Batman" will have a Pepsi sibling in the rotation.

I have been thinking about only watch contenders, not getting far. But I have to concede, those that meet most of the criteria are not watches I’m enamoured with, but could certainly live with... in a rambling mood.

I think if I was going to be stranded on a deserted island for many years, I'd choose a GMT as my only watch. Its rugged enough to survive anything and even go more than a decade without service, water resistant to 100 m, I could use the rotating bezel to keep track of short time durrations, and I could keep track of another timezone.

However, in the real world, I think I need 3 watches to cover all the bases. Sports watch, luxury sports watch, and dress watch. So if I had to cut my collection down to 3 it would be a GMT Master, Royal Oak, and Tank Louis Cartier.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update- I put about 3/4 of the money I saved for a watch into my son's RESP because I couldn't handle the guilt of owning a watch worth so much money. Still on the lookout for something sensible, though.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the new Speedy, but for the money it sounds like you could get a vintage Ed White and it's kind of close aesthetically to a Speedy Pro and a FOIS.

Did Mrs Claus leave her slay blanket behind??? Hehe

I have been thinking about only watch contenders, not getting far. But I have to concede, those that meet most of the criteria are not watches I’m enamoured with, but could certainly live with... in a rambling mood.

I've been thinking of culling the herd but can't even bring myself to do that. I suppose that's a good sign since I wear and enjoy all of my watches.

Was the GMT-Master II a present to yourself or do you have very generous family members? Love the watch btw.

Thank you. It was a gift from my parents. I've tried paying them for it, but it's a sensitive topic and they get upset over things like that. I've even tried giving my Dad a few of my watches and he won't take them. The watch aside, I'm just very lucky to have them in my life.

Every time this watch gets posted I get envious.
been on the list for 18 months. Grrrrrrr!!!
What’s your secret?
(BTW you have it on the wrong hand!)

As embarrassing as it sounds, my secret is that my mother probably called every AD in the United States about 16 months ago. I told her she was wasting her time and not to do such a thing, but she doesn't listen to me (or my father, LOL). A notably tardy retirement hasn't slowed her down and she doesn't take "no" for an answer. She was laughed at but eventually just said to an AD "so if he doesn't buy diamonds you won't sell him a watch." Our AD connected with her and her story, offered a Daytona on Christmas Eve last year, and now we have a very good relationship. The AD has even told Rolex reps about it.

Actually, with this one it's kind of interesting because I swear my AD told me she had one for me back in March. I phoned her up during Baselworld and asked if she either a black GMT or a Batman as both were being discontinued. She didn't of course. Well we chatted as we always do and she knew I was going to a conference in Las Vegas and asked if I was going to be looking at any watches. I told her I was and she told me to call her when I got back and I could put down money a watch and if she eventually got something in I could get it. Well she called me the day after I got home and to this day I swear she told me she had a Pepsi for me. I got there and it was a two-tone Root Beer instead. I very politely said I was sure it was a Pepsi she said she had, but that of course I also wanted the Root Beer. She then said to wait just a minute and she went back to the safe and brought out a black GMT that she got for me from one of their other locations. So I have bought from them quite a bit in a short period of time. Actually the Hulk was at the top of my list even though I prefer the Pepsi because I think the Hulk will be discontinued this year. I'm not complaining though. Anyway, keep being patient. I think more Pepsis are getting out there, although the "lists" sounds long enough too.

Yes, I know. When I first started wearing a watch as a kid it was always my right hand and it just feels wrong on the left no matter how often I try.

Congrats and enjoy it! Looks fantastic! I'm still waiting for an AD to call me so that my "Batman" will have a Pepsi sibling in the rotation.

I think if I was going to be stranded on a deserted island for many years, I'd choose a GMT as my only watch. Its rugged enough to survive anything and even go more than a decade without service, water resistant to 100 m, I could use the rotating bezel to keep track of short time durrations, and I could keep track of another timezone.

However, in the real world, I think I need 3 watches to cover all the bases. Sports watch, luxury sports watch, and dress watch. So if I had to cut my collection down to 3 it would be a GMT Master, Royal Oak, and Tank Louis Cartier.

Thank you sir! Stay patient.

Tough to narrow down to just three, but I think I could do it. Daytona, GMT and a Lange 1. As easy as that may seem it's hard to choose which Daytona, which GMT and which Lange 1!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new 321 Speedy is awesome, but damn that's a lot of money. Under 10K I think would have been a home run, but if people will buy them, what do I know?

Heck, the solid gold ones sold out in a matter of days...I don't think they'll have any issue selling these. The only question is whether or not the grey market price will approach the daytona.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heck, the solid gold ones sold out in a matter of days...I don't think they'll have any issue selling these. The only question is whether or not the grey market price will approach the daytona.

I'm sure they will sell, as people always seems to be in search of the next "Daytona/Nautilus." No doubt plenty of speculators will buy them hoping they won't be able to meet demand and they will be able to flip them for a profit.

Overall its a nice watch, but at that kind of money there are other watches I'd rather purchase.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit late posting this, but Santa didn’t disappoint this year.

View attachment 1312415

Not the best shot (sock n all) and it looks smaller on my wrist in person, but an outstanding watch. If I didn’t suffer from this disease it’d be a contender for an “only watch”.
CONGRATS...Were you on a waitlist (& if so, for how long)?..

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CONGRATS...Were you on a waitlist (& if so, for how long)?..

Thanks. When I got my first watch from the AD last Christmas (black dial Daytona), I gave her a list of five to six watches. Then in March per my post above she got me the Root Beer GMT and the black GMT when I was expecting the Pepsi. Then of course I did indeed get the Pepsi even though the Hulk is at the top of my list. So essentially a year, but considering she got me two watches in the meantime, the black GMT after it was discontinued and in a week, I'd say only about 9 months. April will be my 25th year at my job and I'm hoping my dropping that hint when I visit my AD in two weeks will yield another result. White dial Daytona or Hulk would be nice, but I think the Batman might be what she gets me next. Of course we'll see what is released this year.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. When I got my first watch from the AD last Christmas (black dial Daytona), I gave her a list of five to six watches. Then in March per my post above she got me the Root Beer GMT and the black GMT when I was expecting the Pepsi. Then of course I did indeed get the Pepsi even though the Hulk is at the top of my list. So essentially a year, but considering she got me two watches in the meantime, the black GMT after it was discontinued and in a week, I'd say only about 9 months. April will be my 25th year at my job and I'm hoping my dropping that hint when I visit my AD in two weeks will yield another result. White dial Daytona or Hulk would be nice, but I think the Batman might be what she gets me next. Of course we'll see what is released this year.
Awesome - much the same for me.
Purchased 2 in April from an AD and they came through with 2 more on my list within a few months and 2 from another AD.
I sent both Christmas gifts in the hope that this may expedite a Daytona and Pepsi......No more if and when these are fulfilled.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you started your relationship with your AD with a daytona? did you buy $200k worth of jewelry before that or am I missing something. congrats though you are definitely getting the hottest rolex pieces out there.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like one particular AD was sympathetic to his mother’s phone call campaign and came through.

Was this a local or out of state AD though?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like one particular AD was sympathetic to his mother’s phone call campaign and came through.

Was this a local or out of state AD though?
sorry what am I missing? so his mom is a VIP client at the AD? that would make a lot of sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads