• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AD/ jeweler has provided me insurance appraisals at market value on all of our jewelry. In fact, they called me a year after I bought a watch well under MSRP that began trading above MSRP to update the appraisal.

Scuppers

Reaction score
My AD/ jeweler has provided me insurance appraisals at market value on all of our jewelry. In fact, they called me a year after I bought a watch well under MSRP that began trading above MSRP to update the appraisal.
That is terribly rare. By governance, ADs are guided by what is and not what could be.
I still advocate a broker, they have more market authority.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been around these parts in a long time - but looking to get my wife a small Cartier tank francais or solo (the quartz iteration). Anyone have a line on a good AD?
I cant help with the AD, though I had a great experience with the Cartier shop at Crystals in Vegas. Are you open to vintage/ pre-owned? One of the great things about Cartier is some of the really lovely, charming pieces they've made over the years and how much character they have. And usually at a fraction of the new price. I got my wife two Cartier's, one a vintage tank from the late 40's, and the other a Santos Dumont CPCP that I covet. Both in yellow gold and both gorgeous pieces. Just a thought and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I need to be talked out of buying a yellow gold Cartier Tank Solo...I don't need a true "dress watch" all that often, and I think this watch would be the perfect choice. Quartz so I don't need to worry about winding or re-setting, gold, but under/around $5k. The watch nerd part of me thinks I'm crazy to be considering a quartz, but I think it's almost perfect.
Does the watch need to be gold? I think the Cartier Drive Extra Flat is a future classic, and it's around $5K in stainless steel on the gray market.

mak1277

Reaction score
Does the watch need to be gold? I think the Cartier Drive Extra Flat is a future classic, and it's around $5K in stainless steel on the gray market.
"need"? No, but that's my strong preference. If this was as simple as just buying a stainless steel dress watch I'd already have a Reverso Classic on my wrist.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"need"? No, but that's my strong preference. If this was as simple as just buying a stainless steel dress watch I'd already have a Reverso Classic on my wrist.
I am a huge admirer of Cartier, but I am a hard pass on the Tank Solo quartz. I will probably get excoriated for this, but I would look for one of these in your situation:

My wife got me the steel version a few years ago for fathers day and its a great little watch. Two hand, implausibly thin and visually interesting dial. Or you can go vintage and get a mechanical Cartier.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of this sounds wrong at all to me. Problem I’m having is the competition when you get up around $10k makes the decision tougher. At that price point you bring in gold reversos and even an ALS Saxonia. At under $5k though the only real competition in precious metal is something vintage.
Obviously, we all have different taste and at certain price points, other watches may come to mind. The ALS Saxonia has a beautifully finished movement, but to me its just another plain round watch. Lange makes great watches, but the only ones I find truly interest and appealing are the Lange 1 and the Zeitwerk. The Reverso, is a great watch. I would gladly add one to my collection, but the pieces I would be looking at would be their steel tribute pieces. If you were considering a Reverso, it is a watch that must be tried on, as the flat case back and shape don't fit everyone comfortably. So it may work for you, it may not. In addition, most people I know that have one, struggle with what to engrave on the blank side, and some don't engrave it for fear of devaluing it. Two of my friends have owned them and that was always an issue for them...to engrave and make it truly yours, or not. Neither engraved them, and both have since sold them. Anyway, wishing you luck with your decision.

Thanks. One question for you all: Do you guys insure pieces like this at MSRP or at true secondary market “replacement cost” given the long wait?
I've never had an AD that would give me an appraisal for anything other than the retail price I paid. So for pieces that exceed that value, I have gone to a gray dealer and purchased a appraisasl from them for the market price.

mak1277

Reaction score
Obviously, we all have different taste and at certain price points, other watches may come to mind. The ALS Saxonia has a beautifully finished movement, but to me its just another plain round watch. Lange makes great watches, but the only ones I find truly interest and appealing are the Lange 1 and the Zeitwerk. The Reverso, is a great watch. I would gladly add one to my collection, but the pieces I would be looking at would be their steel tribute pieces. If you were considering a Reverso, it is a watch that must be tried on, as the flat case back and shape don't fit everyone comfortably. So it may work for you, it may not. In addition, most people I know that have one, struggle with what to engrave on the blank side, and some don't engrave it for fear of devaluing it. Two of my friends have owned them and that was always an issue for them...to engrave and make it truly yours, or not. Neither engraved them, and both have since sold them. Anyway, wishing you luck with your decision.
My taste in Lange's is actually more toward the 1815 line. The up/down might be my favorite watch currently available. I don't love the Saxonia in the same way, but at the price point I do think it's hard to beat.

Yep, I've tried on many different Reversos and really like them and their fit on my wrist. I like the SS tributes as well...I've almost bought the red one about three different times, but I just don't think I'd wear it enough to make it worthwhile.

Engraving is an interesting question, but not really an issue for me either way. I don't sell watches once I have them, so resale value is the last thing on my mind.

Honestly I'm probably going to end up doing nothing here...I tend not to buy until/unless I'm absolutely sure I'm in love.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Reverso, be it in steel or gold is the way for you to go. You mentioned it in 2 posts. I'd rather have that than a quartz dress watch. Occasionally, a company makes a very high quality quartz movement that is special, like what powered the old Rolex Oysterquartz watches, or the old Piaget Chronoreflex quartz. The quartz movement in the Tank solo is fine, but I think you might feel eventually like you compromised and only got half of the watch you wanted.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Rugger

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any tips on finding a Sub date available from an AD without any preexisting relationship? New to my current area and there are a few AD within an hour or so, but no relationship with them.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%