• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to be talked out of buying a yellow gold Cartier Tank Solo...I don't need a true "dress watch" all that often, and I think this watch would be the perfect choice. Quartz so I don't need to worry about winding or re-setting, gold, but under/around $5k. The watch nerd part of me thinks I'm crazy to be considering a quartz, but I think it's almost perfect.

I'm a huge fan of the Tank (and I own a mechanical Tank Louis Cartier). Personally, I love everything about it. The case is simple, but elegant and the the sword hands with Roman numerals are a classic combination. It has been around for over 100 years and it looks perfect with a suit, and believe it or not, change the strap and you can also dress it down if you choose to. Still, I struggle with the idea of getting a quartz Tank. While there have been quartz Tanks for many years, I would miss having a mechanical movement in a watch like a Tank. IMHO, it further defines the type of watch that it is. I tend to think of dress watches as being for special events, and not events were I am in a hurry, so being able to put on a watch without winding or resetting it isn't a real consideration. In fact, usually the biggest pain is setting the time on a watch with a date. If you get a watch without a date, it is no longer really an issue, you just wind, set it and go! Also, depending on where you live, if you are in the US and have day light savings, you will still have to reset the time at some points during the year.

Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the Tank Americaine in SS. It's an automatic with no date and fits better on my wrist over the normal LC Tank or Tank Solo.

bsarosi

Reaction score
There are a ton at grey dealers. Prestige Time has a ton, for example. The discounts are not as high as for some other brands, but it's not nothing either - 10-15% off retail.

Speaking of grey dealers and other online retailers, what is the best recommendation for trying to find a pre-owned Rolex 126300 blue index full set? Even better, ones that are open to trade for a Ulysse Nardin San Marco Dual Time.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Tank (and I own a mechanical Tank Louis Cartier). Personally, I love everything about it. The case is simple, but elegant and the the sword hands with Roman numerals are a classic combination. It has been around for over 100 years and it looks perfect with a suit, and believe it or not, change the strap and you can also dress it down if you choose to. Still, I struggle with the idea of getting a quartz Tank. While there have been quartz Tanks for many years, I would miss having a mechanical movement in a watch like a Tank. IMHO, it further defines the type of watch that it is. I tend to think of dress watches as being for special events, and not events were I am in a hurry, so being able to put on a watch without winding or resetting it isn't a real consideration. In fact, usually the biggest pain is setting the time on a watch with a date. If you get a watch without a date, it is no longer really an issue, you just wind, set it and go! Also, depending on where you live, if you are in the US and have day light savings, you will still have to reset the time at some points during the year.

Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

None of this sounds wrong at all to me. Problem I’m having is the competition when you get up around $10k makes the decision tougher. At that price point you bring in gold reversos and even an ALS Saxonia. At under $5k though the only real competition in precious metal is something vintage.

ctp120

Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy! That's a beauty! :cheers:
Thanks. One question for you all: Do you guys insure pieces like this at MSRP or at true secondary market “replacement cost” given the long wait?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:)

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_122045.jpg
    IMG_20191120_122045.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 85

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very pleasantly surprising call from my AD this morning.
Congratulations!
Thanks. One question for you all: Do you guys insure pieces like this at MSRP or at true secondary market “replacement cost” given the long wait?
I recommend getting an appraisal, ideally from your AD. They are well aware of the market value of the watch and should be able to give you a letter of appraisal reflecting that.

an draoi

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I recommend getting an appraisal, ideally from your AD. They are well aware of the market value of the watch and should be able to give you a letter of appraisal reflecting that.

When I was in the same situation (and trying to insure for market value) my experience was different - the AD would only provide confirmation of the retail price (despite being aware of the higher market value). In the end my insurance broker found a third party to give them a valuation in which they had confidence (having dismissed the evidence I had provided of the market value).

Would be interested to hear if others have had success in convincing ADs (or boutiques) to provide valuations in excess of MSRP.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in the same situation (and trying to insure for market value) my experience was different - the AD would only provide confirmation of the retail price (despite being aware of the higher market value). In the end my insurance broker found a third party to give them a valuation in which they had confidence (having dismissed the evidence I had provided of the market value).

Would be interested to hear if others have had success in convincing ADs (or boutiques) to provide valuations in excess of MSRP.
same. Nautilus and 15202st were appraised at MSRP. Seek a broker. They see the whole picture.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AD/ jeweler has provided me insurance appraisals at market value on all of our jewelry. In fact, they called me a year after I bought a watch well under MSRP that began trading above MSRP to update the appraisal.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AD/ jeweler has provided me insurance appraisals at market value on all of our jewelry. In fact, they called me a year after I bought a watch well under MSRP that began trading above MSRP to update the appraisal.
That is terribly rare. By governance, ADs are guided by what is and not what could be.
I still advocate a broker, they have more market authority.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been around these parts in a long time - but looking to get my wife a small Cartier tank francais or solo (the quartz iteration). Anyone have a line on a good AD?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads