The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Guys - with the new ceramic Daytona coming out, been reading different things about the price of a reasonable condition used Daytona SS 116520.

Is it realistic to think I can get one for about USD8500? I've seen reasonable condition ones (circa 2012) go for closer to USD10000 from reputable sellers. Thank you.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's hard to say (if we could we'd all be rich watch traders), but it's definitely a good time to buy. I bought mine a few months ago as NOS for well under $10K. It's an early version with thin hands (which I prefer). I could have had a lovely unpolished random serial with 5 year warranty for around $10.5K. Will they drop more? Maybe. Will they eventually rise a bit? Probably.

You could probably get one without B&P for around $8.5K now, but it won't be perfect. When I buy, I buy to own - forever. For that reason, getting the right watch is way more important than $500 bucks.

This is just my own opinion, but I think people will eventually realize that the new version is kind mediocre after the "wow it's a ceramic SS Daytona" wears off.

Last edited: May 23, 2016

3. troika

troika Senior member

Went to Berlin. Ate an entire fish at a seafood streetfood thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sinn feeling at home

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

If you are having a son, diaper changing becomes a game of chance. If I change his diaper, what are the chances I will get peed on?

On a watch related baby note, I have found the clasp on my watch catches on some of his outfits so adjusting holding positions can be tricky.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Lots of people are selling 116520s to pay for a ceramic Daytona (when they get "The call") so it's definitely a good time to buy. While there are never any guarantees, at least historically when new Daytonas have been released people start selling recent ones and prices are depressed for a while. However, eventually prices recover and go up again.

$8,500 might get you an early model, in need of service, so so condition & no box and papers. I'd rather have the newest one in the best condition I can afford, as Rolex makes improvements through out the production life of the model (even though rarely publicized).

In addition, I owned an early one and always felt the thin hands (previously used on the 16520, which had thinner hour markers) were very poorly matched to the new dials using thicker hour markers on the 116520. Hence, while subjective, I greatly prefer looking at and owning the "Fat hand" models which IMHO corrected this mismatch issue of hands/dials. Shop for the best one you can afford and enjoy it. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Another watch/baby observation. My daughter was able to scratch the plexi crystal on my Speedmaster with her nails - baby nails are incredibly sharp.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I really wish this didn't cost quite so much. :embar: Will have to go the 47111 route.

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Nice X100T too!

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+7; other people are going to give you so much crap for him/her anyways...

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Watch the newborn clothes accumulation. We did laundry so much that two days worth of outfits would have been sufficient - easily covered by clothes given to us as gifts. Then they outgrown them almost instantly.

11. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

^
    This is all excellent stuff, guys. Thanks for the paternal pointers. [​IMG]

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Blasphemy! Frankfurt is her home! :D

13. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

This happened to my Speedy as well. On plus side side, she love the watches, the negative, she loves (to play with) the watches.

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I actually bought a Seiko Tuna that I let my daughter play with. It's been in about 700 bubble baths at this point. It's ine of the newer diashield models and it's been impervious to her play.

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

@Belligero - Save your money for diapers, as they're more useful than any number of adorable/cute onesies and baby clothes that your baby will grow out of sooner than you know. But you'll be thankful for a plethora of diapers on hand.

while it's a spectacularly fun and emotional journey, it's also completely normal to be tired all the time. That being said, I completely agree with you in that it doesn't necessarily need to be overly HARD either. Congrats again! :D