• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the chance to spend a little time with the Oris line today and have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I was very impressed with the two watches I am most interested in purchasing. On the other hand, I was checking our the Aquis just for fun and was alarmed at how flimsy the bracelet felt. I was actually surprised by the feel of it compared to the other watches I own. Its pretty amazing how much of a difference details like that can make in the feel of a watch and the impression that it makes.

As my preferred watch shop doesnt carry Oris, I had to stop into a chain store and the sales people were just awful. I mention this because I really appreciate the relationship I have with our regular jewelry store and episodes like this one remind me not to take them for granted...

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I had the chance to spend a little time with the Oris line today and have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I was very impressed with the two watches I am most interested in purchasing. On the other hand, I was checking our the Aquis just for fun and was alarmed at how flimsy the bracelet felt. I was actually surprised by the feel of it compared to the other watches I own. Its pretty amazing how much of a difference details like that can make in the feel of a watch and the impression that it makes.

As my preferred watch shop doesnt carry Oris, I had to stop into a chain store and the sales people were just awful. I mention this because I really appreciate the relationship I have with our regular jewelry store and episodes like this one remind me not to take them for granted...
Huh, I like to be seen as a guy who has some money. but can't be swayed by sales speak.
It sucks when i want to try out a watch, but aren't looking to get anyone's hopes up.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just that one and two vintage IWCs. I think that I might be moving through the world in slo-mo because of how fast some of them run. Servicing is such a PITA since I live in a small town, and I can't just run them into a good repair store. Luckily, I've found a couple of people nearby who are very good, and some are also officially certified to service certain brands. However, every service is a few hundred to close to a grand for a vintage chronograph, even one is nearly mint condition, and I figure that if I service 4 watches all at once, that is close to just getting something else.

These are all #firstworldproblems, of course, but if I can avoid them, I do. There are at least a half dozen handwinders from the 60s and 70s (this seems to be my sweet spot right now), and one from the late 50s, that I find pretty amazing, and that will, just because of the passage of time, probably not come up for sale again. So I'm concentrated on those right now. Hopefully, I will be able to get my grubby hands on many, if not all of them, in the next few years. After that, we'll see.

Re. Vintage Rolexes - I do find a number of them really compelling, but given that they seem both rather expensive compared to their counterparts, and also rather ubiquitous, that feel little urgency in getting them.
I have three vintage watches, including two vintage chronographs (Zenith El Primero and Breitling). I view them as akin to classic cars: I don't expect COSC-level performance and am okay with time within 30 seconds/day. There may be some problems with future availability of parts and watch repair persons with the knowledge to fix these watches, but I'll worry about that problem when the time comes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sup fellas, was perusing around and seen this vintage Omega for sale online. I'm no expert but what little I know this seems legit. What do you all think? Plus if this is not the proper location for this post let me know for future reference. Thanks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega-Cosmic-Caliber-750/193201546573#rpdCntId
So, that looks legit, though it is not a Cosmic. It is a 166.0140 day date, as shown here: https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/timepieces/wristwatch/omega-day-date-automatic-stainless-steel-ref-1660140-circa-1970/a/5370-54194.s
The case is nearly identical to my 105.005-67. It's a pretty cool watch, and the price right now seems pretty good.

Rich Williams

Reaction score
all - im thinking of buying my first high end watch, i really like the montblanc Heritage Spirit Orbis Terrarum. I can pick one up for about £3k. is this a good deal or should i be steared to a better watch?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all - im thinking of buying my first high end watch, i really like the montblanc Heritage Spirit Orbis Terrarum. I can pick one up for about £3k. is this a good deal or should i be steared to a better watch?
Get a watch from a watch company, not a fountain pen company. 3k will get you a decent vintage piece.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a watch from a watch company, not a fountain pen company. 3k will get you a decent vintage piece.
Absolutely.

For that matter, around three kilobux will also get you a decent Datejust.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 269 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40