• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And congrats to LA Guy on his most recent purchase.
035A0BA7-9171-4475-AC4D-37D3AA451765.png

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have visited some completely empty Rolex boutiques and ADs over the weekend. I ended up trying F5AE9ABC-2B17-4061-95D1-C5D522485087.jpeg 451C9C0C-DC22-4AFE-9EB6-CE9B0400C963.jpeg 82123DE4-FC77-4CC9-8236-4EC60BD95539.jpeg on the speedy and the 1950s Panerai. My wife suggested I buy the Pam. I like both and will probably have both in my collection at some point. The 47 mm Panerai retail is almost double than speedy . Which one should I add first?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have visited some completely empty Rolex boutiques and ADs over the weekend. I ended up trying View attachment 1276526 View attachment 1276527 View attachment 1276528 on the speedy and the 1950s Panerai. My wife suggested I buy the Pam. I like both and will probably have both in my collection at some point. The 47 mm Panerai retail is almost double than speedy . Which one should I add first?
Strangely, I went on a similar journey recently. Speedy has eluded me forever, tried one on and was surprised at how wearable it is! As for the Pan, nah. Go speedy.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up trying on the speedy and the 1950s Panerai. My wife suggested I buy the Pam. I like both and will probably have both in my collection at some point. The 47 mm Panerai retail is almost double than speedy . Which one should I add first?

I think that the Panerai is too large for your wrist, but the Speedy is a good size. Plus, the Speedy looks better, has withstood the vagaries of watch fashion for over half a century, and is half the price of the Panerai.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typing this message with a Speedy Pro Hesalite on my wrist should give you my answer as well. I like the idea of the Panerai's, and even like the look. However, they are massive and look ridiculous on me. YMMV, but I would also have to make shirts with a comically large left wrist to cover them, or only wear them with short sleeved shirts.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing about Panerai is it you like them there really isn’t a substitute. Personally for the money there are a lot of watches I would reach for first. But if you’re in love with one then you’re just going to keep thinking about it until you eventually get one.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feelings on Panerai: if ever you need to launch a projectile (likely in the impending zombie apocalypse), nothing will ever rival a Panerai for sheer heft and damage. Also, it can be used in place of a glove to challenge plebs to a duel. Or maybe a sled in a pinch.

dan'l

Reaction score
I just checked the results from Phillips' latest auction:

https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/CH080219

Man, nearly every piece went above estimate and some of the hammer prices are outrageous. I believe there is a buyer's premium of 25%, too, so the final prices are even higher.

There was an interesting article about development of the CPCP Monopoussoir:

https://www.phillips.com/article/47...urne-and-denis-flageollet-two-of-its-creators

This one in WG hammered at CHF 18,750 (~$18,800):

123_001.jpg

I have one in YG and glad to have picked it up many years ago before the renewed interest!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn it. Knew I’d slept on those too long. Have been looking for the yellow gold on red strap for my wife for a while.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked the results from Phillips' latest auction:

https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/CH080219

Man, nearly every piece went above estimate and some of the hammer prices are outrageous. I believe there is a buyer's premium of 25%, too, so the final prices are even higher.

There was an interesting article about development of the CPCP Monopoussoir:

https://www.phillips.com/article/47...urne-and-denis-flageollet-two-of-its-creators

This one in WG hammered at CHF 18,750 (~$18,800):

123_001.jpg

I have one in YG and glad to have picked it up many years ago before the renewed interest!
Auction prices have been a joke for a couple of years, now. It’s often cheaper buying from a reseller and they can be more accommodating in avoiding duties.

dan'l

Reaction score
I often peruse the results and at times see some “good deals.” But other times, like this, I find excessive final prices. I’m wondering if the bidders just got caught up in auction euphoria and kept on bidding.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auction prices have been a joke for a couple of years, now. It’s often cheaper buying from a reseller and they can be more accommodating in avoiding duties.
Why are auction prices a joke? Isn't an auction the purest expression of free market capitalism? As long as there are people with sufficient disposable income, what they are willing to pay for a commodity defines the market price. You may not like it, and it might mean that people like you and me are priced out of such markets, but that is how free markets work.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are auction prices a joke? Isn't an auction the purest expression of free market capitalism? As long as there are people with sufficient disposable income, what they are willing to pay for a commodity defines the market price. You may not like it, and it might mean that people like you and me are priced out of such markets, but that is how free markets work.
Yes, yes. Believe me, I relish the free market system of capitalism. However, the auction market for watches behaves differently to that of property; jewellery and to some degree art & fine furniture.
Prices escalate not based on a proven and accepted market value. In such a divergent market, the options are greater for such highly disposable items. Or “whim purchases”.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads