The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I've yet to see any BLNR around me/in the AD's, on civilians, etc. Quite a few 5001's always on display in my ADs though. I never thought my watch was or would be rare TBH.

Though I've never seen anyone else around these parts have one on either..

2. robw

robw Senior member

You might be surprised. I am in NYC and have yet to see a BLNR in the wild. I am sure it is just a matter of time.

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Don't see the blnr but whenever I see a rolex, it's usually a sub.

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I have yet to see a BLNR other than mine even at an AD.

5. cchen

cchen Senior member

You see BLNR's everywhere in HK. I've even seen them on the taxi and bus drivers' wrists

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Handled a few Rolex and Omega today. I do like some of the Speedmaster revisions- the '57, Grey Side of the Moon, etc.- but jeeesus that co-axial movement is just too thick. It may not be that much thicker mm-wise than say a Sub but it sits really high on the wrist. Overall, those couple of models excluded, I thought Omega's lineup looked really poor, and the price increases solely to compete with Rolex are laughable.

Took another look at the BLNR today in different lighting- standard AD lighting but also outside in the shade and sun- and it's awesome, no question. I like that without harsh lighting the blue is tempered a bit.

For me, to go that route over the all-black GMT or a Sub/Sub w Date would mean giving up buying a 2nd watch. I've capped myself at a strict $10k and was looking to squeeze two minty pre-owned watches out of that. One a GMT/Sub and the other, something else in the 3-4k range. BLNR is high 8's pre-owned, and I am just not going to find much out there I like with the leftover. These are not real problems, so I'll just be quiet.

7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

And you think they were real?

8. cchen

cchen Senior member

They are real. Rolex are abundant in HK.

9. mosy

mosy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To me these 2 watches seem very similar aesthetically. Are these any other watches out there that have this specific look (in the 500-2500 price range - non seiko)?

Last edited: May 11, 2016

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry, but I guess I don't see the problem is with getting a BLNR if that is what you really want, and nixing the 2nd watch (or waiting a year or longer to buy a second watch). I'd much rather have the watch I truly want rather than settle for something else just to have extra funds for a second lesser, yet to be determined watch.

Buy the watch you truly want. It will last you decades and you will have no regrets. One of my friends was always buying his second or third choice to save money, regretted it, then ate the depreciation and eventually got the one he truly wanted...so in the end it would have been cheaper for him of he bought the watch he really wanted.

11. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

Give us a little more info and we can help guide you. Budget? Lifestyle? What do you wear to work? Etc.

Do you already wear watches? If so, what type?

If not, I'd recommend taking like $400 and buying some solid lower end watches to see what style of watch you really enjoy wearing. A Seiko SKX007 for $125 to try out divers. An orient bambino or seiko cocktail time to fuck around with dress watches. Maybe something baohaus-inspired to see if that is more your speed. Try a chrono to see if an omega speedmaster would work for you.

I was able to afford my first "real" watch for a while but I held off to ensure that when I finally made the jump, I got something I really loved and fit my lifestyle. It also has the added benefit up rounding out your watch collection. I currently have 4 watches, and while I wear my Pelagos almost daily, I still have a watch available for when I throw on a suit, need a beater, or just want a change of pace.

12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I have never seen so many luxury boutiques congested into such a small proximity. You can practically find at least one jeweler every other block in Central or Times Square – it’s pretty insane. Since buying a home is not realistic due to astronomical valuations, might as well cop some luxury items, I guess.

The BLNR has to be at least 2 months of work for these taxi or bus drivers right?

13. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

More than that. Then again, you never know, random people in HK have 5-10 properties to their name...

14. Monty L

Monty L Senior member

Anybody have strong feelings one way or the other about the 50 fathoms bathyscaphe? I'm itching for one on a nato and considering it as my next piece.

15. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Hodinkee's shop put up some new watches today. I've been getting on pretty much right away when they're putting them up. The past couple of weeks I've been on before any watches were sold. I had that Polerouter in my cart and was very close to pulling the trigger today, but I held off. I'm being torn in a couple of directions at the moment. Still wouldn't mind a Polerouter at some point.

Speaking of Hodinkee, a new Talking Watches aired today. A good episode that has some very interesting and rare watches.