• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the upcoming Omega De Ville Tressor be dressed down to be worn with khakis/jeans and a polo, or is this strictly a dress watch?

99683524-70BE-4D8C-BA14-9CF372A5B53F.png

Edit: upcoming in steel and non-textured dial

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have more info on this black gilt dial asymmetric tank? I read it's from the 50s, but does anyone have more info on it or know about how much it goes for?

View attachment 1206861
This is the Cartier Tank Oblique or Tank Asymetrique, and I like the Cariter tanks, so I've actually seen one or two of these in the wild. Apparently, at least from what I've read, they were introduced in the 60s, with a reissue in the 90s. The one in your picture though, are you sure that dial is original? I've never seen one, either irl or online, with a black dial, and from what I understand, dress watches of that time have white dials, and that most black dials are re-dials. That, and I've never seen the numerals that thick, nor with that type of index. The indices that I have seen with arabic numerals all over triangular shaped indices.

No idea how much the originals are worth, but the reissues, especially in platinum, went for well north of $10K, that I have seen from past auctions.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is the Cartier Tank Oblique or Tank Asymetrique, and I like the Cariter tanks, so I've actually seen one or two of these in the wild. Apparently, at least from what I've read, they were introduced in the 60s, with a reissue in the 90s. The one in your picture though, are you sure that dial is original? I've never seen one, either irl or online, with a black dial, and from what I understand, dress watches of that time have white dials, and that most black dials are re-dials. That, and I've never seen the numerals that thick, nor with that type of index. The indices that I have seen with arabic numerals all over triangular shaped indices.

No idea how much the originals are worth, but the reissues, especially in platinum, went for well north of $10K, that I have seen from past auctions.

I think it's original. This is the box from the Cartier museum vault with the artifact code

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's original. This is the box from the Cartier museum vault with the artifact code

View attachment 1207041
Well, that's super cool then. I've never seen that one, ever, anywhere. I'm guessing that it would not be inexpensive. How did you get your hands on it?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Saw this today—really sharp. Wasn’t familiar with this reference before—2942. From the 30s apparently. Can’t comment on originality, though. Note the lovely Calatrava case.

View attachment 1206702

I’m not familiar with that reference either, but must admit that I’m a sucker for scientific / sector dials. The fact that it actually says “scientific” is crazy to me.

Is it even close to a modern size? Possibly a re-dial?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, that's super cool then. I've never seen that one, ever, anywhere. I'm guessing that it would not be inexpensive. How did you get your hands on it?

Not mine! Found the photo on Instagram and wanted to see if I could get more info, including if there was a way I could buy it. Hence the question.

dan'l

Reaction score
As Fok mentioned, they come up for sale on occasion. I’ve also never seen one with a black dial. Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a classic Tank with a black dial, either (Cartier de Must made some funky dials, though).

I like the Asymetrique, but have never found one in an acceptable condition (and price). Perhaps @Dino944 will ring in with his Cartier expertise!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Fok mentioned, they come up for sale on occasion. I’ve also never seen one with a black dial. Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a classic Tank with a black dial, either (Cartier de Must made some funky dials, though).

I like the Asymetrique, but have never found one in an acceptable condition (and price). Perhaps @Dino944 will ring in with his Cartier expertise!

This is only the second time I have seen photos of a Tank Asymetrique with a black dial. The other black dial piece is a 1 off in white metal, with white printed Roman numerals and white painted hands. It is in a book by Patrizzi. A big Cartier, AP, Patek collector currently owns that watch.

Not mine! Found the photo on Instagram and wanted to see if I could get more info, including if there was a way I could buy it. Hence the question.

I've seen a few reissues over the years. The ones I've seen were from the 1990's pre-CPCP watches, and then there is the CPCP version with has a central lug in addition to the ones on the sides. I haven't seen any truly vintage Tank Asymetriques in person. From what I understand a few of the reissues sold at auction for in the mid $36K & $40K last year (prior to that they were selling in the 20s). I have no idea what a true vintage Tank Asymetrique would sell for, as they are very desirable to collectors and I don't think they come up for sale very often. Wishing you luck on finding out more about this piece and if you can purchase it.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Put a red/brown or tan strap with contrasting stitching. A colored Nato will also dress it down in a hurry.

*Welcome to the forum?* and I would agree, it's all about the strap choice. For sure mosy it could be seen as a very nice versatile, casual watch...not strictly limited to dressy occasions. Take it off the black gator and you could go a lot of ways with that one.

dan'l

Reaction score
I've seen a few reissues over the years. The ones I've seen were from the 1990's pre-CPCP watches, and then there is the CPCP version with has a central lug in addition to the ones on the sides. I haven't seen any truly vintage Tank Asymetriques in person. From what I understand a few of the reissues sold at auction for in the mid $36K & $40K last year (prior to that they were selling in the 20s). I have no idea what a true vintage Tank Asymetrique would sell for, as they are very desirable to collectors and I don't think they come up for sale very often. Wishing you luck on finding out more about this piece and if you can purchase it.

I knew there was a CPCP version, but didn't realize it was the one with the central lug. I did a bit of searching and it's actually a remake of one from 1938:

Webp.net-resizeimage-54-450x600.jpg

As mentioned earlier I like the watch a lot. Unfortunately there was a post in Hodinkee a few days ago about the Tank Asymetrique and I fear the prices will now creep up.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew there was a CPCP version, but didn't realize it was the one with the central lug. I did a bit of searching and it's actually a remake of one from 1938:

Webp.net-resizeimage-54-450x600.jpg

As mentioned earlier I like the watch a lot. Unfortunately there was a post in Hodinkee a few days ago about the Tank Asymetrique and I fear the prices will now creep up.

A friend of mine has the CPCP Tank Asymetrique, and its really a beautiful watch, although I find the Asymetrique a bit cleaner looking without the central lug. That being said, I would gladly take a Tank Asymetrique with the central lug, if it were a full set and the condition was mint.

There are definitely a few interesting variations out there like ones with "Exploding numbers," and I'm sure there are vintage ones that people have yet to discover. We just have to wait to see them pop up on a website for a vintage dealer or auction house website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads