• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the place @RJman mentioned, however if you are in NYC, try Aaron Faber. They deal with a lot of vintage and current pre-owned Rolex watches. I haven't purchased anything there, but when I visited they were friendly and had a very nice shop. Their website mentions appraisals as one of the services they offer. No idea what they charge. I've seen places charge anywhere from $75-150 for an appraisal in Boston and some places reduce the price if you have 2 or more watches appraised. Not sure what the going rate is in NYC.
Thanks! I'll be in in NYC soon and will look them up. Hopefully they can appraise same day.

EDIT: just looked at their website and will send them an email. Looks promising.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to their Yelp review site, Andante Fine Jewelry in Georgetown does appraisals. It's a nice store with a large collection of pre-owned Rolexes. Last time I went to visit they were closed for renovations, so call before you go. I hope they haven't closed for good!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to their Yelp review site, Andante Fine Jewelry in Georgetown does appraisals. It's a nice store with a large collection of pre-owned Rolexes. Last time I went to visit they were closed for renovations, so call before you go. I hope they haven't closed for good!

Listed as "Permanently Closed" on Google Maps..

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$150 to tell you what your watch is worth??

i am in the wrong business. .
Sounds like a racket to me but not sure what else to do for a proper appraisal!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a racket to me but not sure what else to do for a proper appraisal!

My home base jewelry store, with whom I have done a reasonable amount of business, provides insurance appraisals to me free of charge. I would be happy to pay for the service, though $150 for a single piece seems extortionate even for NYC.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
face to face relationships are the way to go.

even if you are window shopping, and drop that you may want to sell your watch.
no doubt they will want to be competitive , go from there. and haggle.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aren't rolex references etc pretty well indexed these days?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aren't rolex references etc pretty well indexed these days?
I think they are. A quick visual inspection for general condition, pop off the caseback to inspect the movement and that should be enough. It's never even been opened since I bought it. Running rather well without the recommended (and pricey) every 5 year maintenance inspection. It's a SS Submariner Date Model 16610, not like it's rare.

Insurance company wants a formal appraisal, though. I guess $150 would not be a deal breaker.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are. A quick visual inspection for general condition, pop off the caseback to inspect the movement and that should be enough. It's never even been opened since I bought it. Running rather well without the recommended (and pricey) every 5 year maintenance inspection. It's a SS Submariner Date Model 16610, not like it's rare.

Insurance company wants a formal appraisal, though. I guess $150 would not be a deal breaker.

Places I've purchased from before having given me appraisal for free, as long as the watch was purchased through them. The watches I've purchased at ADs that no longer exist, I've had to pay for appraisals from other watch shops. One place near me charges $150 for one, and they need to keep the watch to look at it and won't do it on the spot. Another place only charges $75, and they will do it when you bring the watch in. They second place is just as respected, and I don't like leaving a watch with anyone, so I went with them.

Its not about whether the watch is rare or not. Most insurance companies will only increase the insurance on a watch or other older item with a written appraisal saying its actually worth X amount today. Insurance adjusters generally are not experts in these watches. Sure they can look on the internet and find a bunch of watches, but they generally have no idea why one watch is at the low end and another is more valuable.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure they can look on the internet and find a bunch of watches, but they generally have no idea why one watch is at the low end and another is more valuable.
Just need a nice looking one-pager that says this Rolex is worth $6K or something like that. I'll dig into NYC options and contact them before I show up. I also do not want to leave my watch with anyone, especially when travelling.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you appraising for insurance purposes?
Yes. I haven't updated the value since I bought it in the UK almost 20 years ago. There was a waitlist in Germany, where I was living at the time, so I grabbed it in London while on a business trip.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I haven't updated the value since I bought it in the UK almost 20 years ago. There was a waitlist in Germany, where I was living at the time, so I grabbed it in London while on a business trip.

Might be worth calling your insurer. Mine is pretty flexible with paperwork.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be worth calling your insurer. Mine is pretty flexible with paperwork.

Certainly worth calling, but I know plenty require an appraisal for anything over 10 years old (at least in the US).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads