1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. concealed

concealed Senior member

Go try some stuff on. I like Panerai, but they are certainly going to look big compared to an OP. Another Rolex would definitely be a good choice. A little cheaper would be Nomos.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My first nice watch, purchased in 2003, was a Blancpain Aqualung. I still own it, and I wore it from the courtroom to the beach on my recent trip to Puerto Rico. Although the rubber strap makes the watch light as a feather, it starts to peel and become unsightly after a bit of wear. I replaced the strap with Blancpain's excellent X-71 bracelet.

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Any thoughts on the Tudor Prince 7990/4, likely from the late 60's/ early 70's? I have the opportunity to buy one in very good condition for under 1k. I know very little about Tudor, so I dont know if these are widely available and should be priced lower or if there are other considerations, IE, movement (2484) is a dog, difficult to service, common issues, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated as usual.

4. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

Thanks fellas I was thinking of just sticking with rolex but wasn't sure. I thought about the explorer since it has a black face and my OP has a grey face. If Panerai is going to look that much bigger then it's not going to fit the style I want. I like sleeker watches that don't draw a lot of attention.

5. tricky

tricky Senior member

I agree. I had two Rolex watches and last year added a Panerai.

Looking back I wish I hadn't gone with the Pam. Awesome watch but I always reach for the other two.

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

If looking for watches that don't draw attention, neither Rolex nor Panerai is really a great choice. Although I'm somewhat in the same boat and think that the recent no-date sub (14060) discussion may get you what you're looking for - a sporty Rolex without the showiness of a ceramic bezel, maxi dial, or cyclops. Explorer I is a good choice as well.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Most Panerais are larger than the majority of Rolex watches, both in terms of diameter and thickness. So if a modest size that easily fits under a shirt cuff is what you are seeking, I'd avoid the Panerai. I like some Panerai's but they never fit my wrist well, so I've never pulled the trigger on one.

You definitely can't go wrong adding another Rolex. As Belligero suggested, consider something from their sports models. I might find an Explorer a bit too similar to the OP you own, so if I were you I'd consider something a bit sportier a Sub, GMT, or Explorer II (16570). With the brushed bezel of the 16570 it flies under the radar a bit more than a Sub or GMT. Wishing you luck on whatever you decide.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

ie, NOT Panerai.. (save a few of their simpler Rads). Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan, but most people who buy PAMs understand that they're not understated timepieces.

9. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Please consider this the Obligatory Speedmaster Recommendation.

10. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

You could always try a Tudor Black Bay and pocket a good chunk of that $6k.It'll sit a littler higher on your wrist than a sub would, but I think it is absolutely fantastic on the included fabric strap. I hadn't even considered one until I was at the AD and he recommended I try one on. It made my decision significantly more difficult. The rehaut is a little large for my liking, but most everyone who has one seems to love it.

Though if I were in your position, I'd likely go with a GMT 16750 with a pepsi bezel and be as happy as can be.

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

If my first Rolex was an OP, it would be easier to choose another Rolex. I think the only thing too similar to an OP would be a Milgauss so your options are open. The only limiting factor would be if you don't like the cyclops but then the no-date Sub would be the obvious choice.

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

You said mainly casual, but wear a suit a couple of times a month? For a change of pace, you might want to take a look at a stainless steel JLC Reverso.

Perhaps the Grand Taille, or one of the Tribute models of your choice. (There are some real pre-owned bargains to be found, too). You can do a lot with that kind of watch, obviously assuming you are okay with a rectangular case shape, and you find one that fits your wrist "just right".

Could be a good complement to your Rolex.

13. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

Wow thanks for the responses guys. I initially wanted a sub no date as my first watch but chose the OP due to the price and the fact that I fell in love with the OP once I tried it on. Sub no date is a little above my budget right now but I will as it to the collection at some point.

Tigerpac-the speedmaster is a really nice watch but it didn't speak to me when I tried it on.

To the guys that recommended JLC and Tudor I'll look into them. I don't know much about those brands but I'm interested.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The new Rolex Explorer is the way to go. Or an Aqua Terra.

15. LIMatt

LIMatt Well-Known Member

I would focus a lot more on the external condition: scratches, fading on the dial, things like that.

The ETA 2824-2 is the exact opposite of what you were saying. It's one of Switzerland's top workhorses, there are millions of them ticking away, pretty much anyone can service them.