The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Though I'm not a big fan of Forster's convoluted, often-overwrought (ad-copy)writing style, "tack" is the correct term. It originates from sailing.

Edit: aw crap, missed the three other replies on the next page while out with the dog. :p

Last edited: May 5, 2016

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Quality post, Kap. That explains the appeal of a good watch as well as anything I've read. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks. Since the 'anniversary' has been coming up (it'll be 25 years since I got it tomorrow), I've been thinking a bit about how satisfied I've always been with this purchase - to the extent that I'm even a bit surprised over how well I actually chose all those years ago.

Now, looking over the post, I realise I left out quite a bit about the particulars I like about the 14060 model - like how I prefer this design with the slimmer lugs and smaller markings over how the newer models do it. And how much I feel that lug holes are part of the Rolex tool watch DNA (even though I believe some older models had solid welded, non removable bars, and hence no lug holes?). And how I like that the aluminium bezel insert has faded slightly over the years to a nice, dark grey.

Also, even after all this time, in the dead of night and with a little squinting, there's still enough life left in the Tritium to make out the time :satisfied:

4. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

My pleasure, C.

And thanks for the thumbs and kind words everybody.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Perhaps its a little like what they say about answers on a test. Don't go back and change your answers, stick with you first choice/gut instinct as it is usually the right answer. In this case, the Sub was definitely the right answer.

We often get review/ownership impressions when a watch is just a few weeks or months old. Its great to hear someone's perspective on what a watch has been like to own for 25 years. Wishing you many more years of enjoyment with your Sub! [​IMG]

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Many thanks, Dino.

8. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Thanks Mimo, but with all due respect, not really a Nomos fan..
    The 7 day...
    Many thanks for sharing - very helpful. I've always admired this watch and seen it hold its value really well. But now that prices seem to have come down a bit in the resale market..:smarmy:
    Very helpful - many thanks.

9. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Isn't that the definition of a watch?

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

So I just read Kap's (epic) post again, and I think I may have identified my favorite part :D

Kids, if you're reading...just buy a Sub, and be done with it!

11. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I have a 7.5inch wrist and it is quite a substantial size watch so please make sure first if you are happy with the size.

[​IMG]

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Sure, if you're a PAM fan.

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

:(

Great point; think I 'only' have a 7" wrist....:(

14. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

Hello TWAT members. Almost a year ago I picked up a Rolex oyster perpetual and I absolutely love it! I wear it pretty much everyday with everything from a suit to jeans and a T shirt. I'm starting to get the urge to buy another watch and I'm open to any suggestions 6K or below. I wear suits only once or twice a month so I'd like something that is pretty casual but can still be worn with a suit. I have 7" wrists and like watches on the plain side. I like the looks of IWC watches along with Panerai although I hear PAMs wear big. I've also seen suggestions for the Aqua Terra which look nice too. I'm guessing with my budget there should be a bunch of options but that's why I came to you experts for advice on some models to look at next :).

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

^
    Personally, I would just get another Rolex. If you have an OP, then something from their sports range should complement it nicely.