1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. an draoi

an draoi Senior Member

2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

I'd be curious of that ratio as well. Still considering grey market on Speedy Pros the past few years I'd say they are too many out there or there isn't much demand for the watch.

The volume of Limited Editions being large is debatable. If a ~2000 range LE is large volume, and I think that's debatable, the right ones seem to sell quickly and are rooting in collections after a year or two when you look at the grey market. As for them being bastardized, they've done some fantastic Speedy LEs or short production runs in the last decade. Call me biased as I own a few, but the prices on a few them have slowly but steadily risen.

Sure the display boxes are getting ridiculous, but who cares? The 50th is actually really cool even if it's unnecessary. I highly doubt that it's factoring much if at all into purchasing decisions though and apart from the 50th and the Ultraman releases I wouldn't say the boxes were that special.

You know I love your 867, but I'll happily say it again. As for the designs, I think a few of them are nice enough. The two you mentioned of course. I also think the Sporting Classic isn't too bad. Too big and I don't love the hands, but an interesting "explorer" type watch. In my experience RL watches don't seem to get their due, yet somebody John Goldberger has one.

3. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Classic hesalite Speedys will always be fire. Basically any iteration and in almost any condition. Aways and forever. On bracelet, strap, NATO, you name it. Moon watches seem to literally get better with age. It’s crazy.

I have got to get one in my life. Plenty to choose from, right? They are legendary for a reason.

And the FOIS is a great watch IMHO. Personally wish it were *not* sapphire. BUT...still hot. Especially for the slightly smaller size (>40mm) that it brings to the table. Such a cool piece. Okay, I also wish it had bombe lugs... but that’s just me lol.

Some of these LE’s on the other hand? Pretty much out of control. (See signature quote ) Yes, a few are what I would consider “hits”. Admittedly.

But man...a whole lot of these watches are absolute misses. It’s just out of hand. Who can keep up? And I loves me some Omega! I do! But I think even Raynald himself would have to admit it.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Of the limited editions, I think that I like the Italian yellow gold one, and I like the Rose gold Apollo 11 35th Anniversary:
    [​IMG]
    which, after much internal debate, I've decided should be my next watch. I like the Mitsukoshi dialed one as well, but I already have that, and it's great as an everyday carry (since I wear it on a fob.

But a lot of the others are... poorly thought out. They are often so bad as to be really good though.

5. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Such a mixed bag. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

6. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

7. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

I've always wanted a Fifty Fathoms and they are either too big (>40mm) or have that awkward 4 o'clock date opening.

This is a LE of the FF Barakuda:

[​IMG]

Guys, talk me out of it!

8. Riva

It's for brandwhores. Remember "Rolex Rolex Rolex"

9. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

@Riva, since you have lots of experience with watches, have you ever owned a Blancpain? If yes, what did you not like about it?

10. Contango

Contango Senior Member

The name on the left side of the case could be a bit much.

It’s a bloody beautiful watch though, go for it.

11. Riva

I loved my BPs especially the Aqualung. There are some details that are now lost in the newer models and cannot be seen from the pics. The iridiscent black dial and white gold indices, unique case shape. Little variations that are attributed to human hand flaws. But owning them is like using an Alfa Romeo in a tropical country with its shortcomings. Supersharp caseback that literally digs into the wrist, totally shitty inaccurate movts, deteriorating caoutchouc straps, insecure clasp and finally deattaching crown that repeatedly (5x) had to be sent back to Switzerland. Having said all that after flipping hundreds of watches they're the ones that I often miss and sometimes try to find a reason to get at least one in the collection. Like that past lover that you can't really get over but won't chase either. Sexy but annoying (crappy engineering). I got so pissed I let the AL go for $700. Now I want the jumping sec but the bony hour markers...

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 6:17 AM