Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Wall Street Journal hates denim

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Whale tails? WTF? Is this something akin to "camel toes" or "moose knuckles" or whatever? Sounds very classy. Maybe Penthouse Forum can fill in the blanks for me.

I was about to post a picture, but then I decided my time would be better spent just telling you to Google it...

2. Reckoner

Reckoner Well-Known Member

dude ... dark denim is hot ...

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

Ok, I actually read beyond the 2nd paragraph, and I now see this is basically a satirical/puff piece. Mildly amusing. WSJ still blows (unless of course you rely on it as a financial/business reference. Nah, it still kinda blows).

4. Marc-OS

Marc-OS Member

I love slacks as much as the next guy, but you can't hate on jeans. They are cheap, last forever, and if you take the time to find a decent pair; they are damn comfortable too. Plus you never feel bad when you stain 'em or tear 'em, they just become workin' on your car pants then. That's one versitile pair of pants right there.

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I love denim haters. LOL. My question is what are you going to wear when you frame a house, a Kiton suit? Better yet how about pouring a concrete driveway or shingling? Oh yeah, people from WSJ, they wouldn't have a clue what real work is let alone reality.

6. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

I love denim haters. LOL. My question is what are you going to wear when you frame a house, a Kiton suit? Better yet how about pouring a concrete driveway or shingling? Oh yeah, people from WSJ, they wouldn't have a clue what real work is let alone reality.

So if you dont pour concrete or lay brick you dont know what reality is? Interesting.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

So if you dont pour concrete or lay brick you dont know what reality is? Interesting.

Interesting interpretation of what I said.

8. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC

They probably have never even mowed their own lawns.

9. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

howd ya like to mow my lawn, ahhh?

10. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

This article is a puff piece and worse, makes no fucking sense. [​IMG]

11. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Never has a single fabric done so little for so many. Denim is hot, uncomfortable and uniquely unsuited to people who spend most of their waking hours punching keys instead of cows. It looks bad on almost everyone who isn't thin, yet has somehow made itself the unofficial uniform of the fattest people in the world.

Italians aren't the worlds fattest people. What's up with this misinformation? Hot? Bah.

12. RuderalisIndyCar

RuderalisIndyCar Member

I think the author acknowledges that denim is particularly useful attire for carrying out hard physical labour, in the quote here;Denim is hot, uncomfortable and uniquely unsuited to people who spend most of their waking hours punching keys instead of cows.
    What he seems to be expressing disstate with (& where I agree) is the ubiquity of denim as a kind of default uniform.I am writing from a part of the world where, as with other global trends, this is also becoming evident.

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Maybe if you actually read the article you would realise that nowhere does it say that jeans should not be worn for physical work where they are practical and appropriate:
    I think the author acknowledges that denim is particularly useful attire for carrying out hard physical labour, in the quote here: "Denim is hot, uncomfortable and uniquely unsuited to people who spend most of their waking hours punching keys instead of cows"

14. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

While the association to the financial crisis might be misplaced, he is right in stressing that denim is severely overrated and rarely as attractive as people might think. I've never quite understood why it is considered so comfortable.

+1. Despite the hyperbole, there is quite some truth in the article. I find myself wearing jeans less and less as time goes on, for the simple reason that, whilst they can look good, they are not as comfortable as the trousers I own. The current fashionable tightness and low rise makes this worse for me.

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Whale tails? WTF? Is this something akin to "camel toes" or "moose knuckles" or whatever? Sounds very classy. Maybe Penthouse Forum can fill in the blanks for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]