The Walking Dead (AMC)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Jul 25, 2010.

1. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

truth but i feel like the buildup and the nuances in the book, which don't mean as much if you already know what happens because you already watched the movie. (exceptions apply)

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

???

I've hated that book for quite a while now. I'm sure you can search and find my posts on his loathsome writing style.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Means there's something amiss with you.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

The book is the source material and my imagination is pretty powerful. I like my mind's interpretation of character and if I saw a movie first I doubt I could remove the filmmaker's/actor's take on a that character.

There are exceptions. Slaughterhouse-Five works both ways.

lefty

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

It's definitely best to approach the material fresh whichever media you choose. I just feel that I have judged some pretty good movies harshly because "they left out my favorite part" or the like.

Also, people should definitely see The Godfather rather than read the book. Not a bad novel but no classic like the film.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Book then movie makes the most sense. Though it could let to significant dissapointment.

it's hard to motivate yourself to go through a book after watching the movie. In the case of Game of Thrones though I really want to start reading it before Season 2 starts.

By the way, I wasn't trying to compare the quality of The Road to The Walking Dead - It's a no contest. I was just saying the portray the different approaches people take to a global disaster similarly. Their execution of course is quite different.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Interesting you mention GoT. I would read a few chapters then watch the corresponding episode. Do not recommend that approach.

lefty

8. 76classic

76classic Senior member

If you try to inject logic into a series where the premise is a zombie apocalypse, you will become frustrated every time. Because in a world so loaded with all types of weaponry, there is no way the dead would be able to totally decimate entire cities. Hell, militias would to posse up and form kill squads, rounding up zombies and popping them in the head. So, with that, lets just enjoy the ride. And if the plot is that maddening, then just quit watching.

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

If you think this is the worst that the zombie genre has to offer, you are clearly lacking in your Lucio Fulci education.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Actually, people who get infected while at sea become Underwater Zombie Nazis:

[​IMG]

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Awesome! Is Fulci the source?

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

[​IMG]

Not by Fulci. I've never actually had the pleasure, but check out the cast!

13. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

As my location implies, I'm a huge Cormac fan. I actually rank The Road in the bottom half of his books, but it's still better than almost anything else written in the last fifteen years.

A Blood Meridian movie will never come close to realizing the book. I'd almost hate to see it even attempted.

14. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

What do you find loathsome about it? I'm not trying to berate you - it's art, you're entitled to an opinion on it. For example, I'd rather listen to Carrot Top reciting Max Weber than anything Radiohead's ever produced. Just trying to find out what specifically you don't like. The quirks in his work, as I can see at least, are:
    Very few prominent female characters.
    Punctuation.
    Archaic words.
    Untranslated non-English dialogue.
    A predisposition for imagery over plot.

Still though, he's an incredible author.

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Luckily the universe seems to agree with you - there've been at least 3 separate attempts to put together a film based on Blood Meridian, none of which have come to pass.