Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Jul 25, 2010.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Also, in the first season, they "hide" from the zombies by slathering themselves in zombie guts to mask their scent -- makes sense. But now they can just hide under cars, less than two feet away from zombies and not a SINGLE one out of an entire horde manages to sniff them out?

Worst episode yet. Hopefully it doesn't continue along this fashion.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

There is so much hack writing in this show it's ridiculous. Not to mention a lot of shitty acting. If there were no zombies everyone would be laughing at how terrible it is.

I want a good zombie show too but this isn't cutting it. I think this was my last episode. I think I will rewatch the episodes of The Dead Set I have on DVR.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

i had a discussion with someone about this not too long ago and we agreed that the packs of feral dogs that would be running around the city would be a much bigger threat than these slow, incompetent zombies. That's why, all tradition aside, the "fast zombies" that started with 28 Days Later are a much better subject than the old, slow Romero zombies.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The whole zombie genre operates in its own weird little reality. None of the characters have ever heard or thought of the possibility of zombies before and are essentially too terrified to act rationally. Like you said, you gotta just suspend disbelieve and roll with it.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The Walking Dead (the graphic novel series) is somewhat interesting in that respect because it's not really about the threat of the zombies. It's more about the zombies as a force of nature, and then the humans reacting to that pressure in strange ways. The humans aren't really threatened day to day by the zombies, but just the radical change in lifestyle and the fact that life will never go back to what it was before, along with the occasional deaths, creates intense emotional situations. Nobody acts rationally in proportion to the threat, that's sort of the whole point.

Remains to be seen if the show can pull any of that off.

The whole "fast zombie" thing is more visceral, just things leaping out and scaring the hell out of you. It's not so much about stress and tension.

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

This show went downhill after the series premiere.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

What would the show be about if all characters had their shit together all the time?

8. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

true, the opener set the bar too high. but i still enjoy the show. it was about time for a good zombie series

9. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

It's getting harder to continue watching this show. The finale last season was just ridiculous. I find it extremely frustrating in these shows/movies that depicts the human race on the verge of extinction, yet there are still some remaining humans left that feel the need to fight/go against other humans. Just cannot grasp the lack of cooperation among those in this group.

What would be an interesting twist to the whole zombie genre is to have some sort of mastermind/agent zero zombie that can control the wills of other zombies. Some how telepathically connected on a primitive level. Would help explain the herd of zombies walking down the freeway, yet not able to pick up scent of the survivors.

10. sexandcandy

it's hard to know how people will act in an environment where there's no order or structure anymore. essentially a lawless world. throw in the constant threat of immediate death and i can understand why people would fight among themselves even if it's not necessarily the best thing in terms of their survival.

11. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

You're right, it is difficult to know how it would play out in the real world, as nothing like a catastrophic/human erasing event has occurred. I wonder if there has been anything written or studied about how people "could" act/react in such a situation. Something along the lines of a psychological level. Looking back at such movies as The Road, War of The Worlds, most zombie flicks. At this rate, better off going solo and packing major heat.

12. sexandcandy

it's why i love post-apocalyptic movies and shows. think about that remake of The Mist where the guy shot his wife, son and two other people in the head point blank. he did it to put them out of "misery" but there's no way he could possibly do something like that unless there was really no hope left in life.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I give up. At least they could have made it somewhat resemble the comics. This is just awful.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I think it's pretty realistic that catastrophies will bring the worst out of some people and the best out of others. All these shows seem to have gotten that down.

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

That whole, "I met a scientist in CDC. He said....(long pause)....doesn't matter...." was hilarious. I've never seen a more transparent method of with-holding details from the audience.