1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Jul 25, 2010.

1. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

shit just got real

2. juicemakesugar

juicemakesugar Senior member

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

That link has been updated. Still, it's funny to see what Frank Darabont looks like after admiring his films for many years.

You know, I liked the guy's films alright. I never gave him much of a thought though, until I saw Dangerous Days, the special features documentary of Blade Runner, and he talked about how the theatrical cut "happy" ending and voiceover was like someone kicking you in the balls. That's when my respect for the man bloomed. [​IMG]

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  5. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

Huh? Why would they do that? The show is a critical and ratings hit. Am I missing something?

The article says that the director wrote 2 of the shows and rewrote the rest. Looks like the staff writers weren't delivering what he wanted.

6. virus646

virus646 Senior member

The article says that the director wrote 2 of the shows and rewrote the rest. Looks like the staff writers weren't delivering what he wanted.

and you can easily see the difference between the first episode from the rest. not that the show is bad anyway, will be watching that finale as soon as it shows up !

7. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

i still dont get why they just dont get one of those tanks learn a day how to run the fucker and just mow down every walker they come across.
    even the second ep,when he was stuck in the tank..hellllooooooo you are in a tank,try to start it,maybe run down some of those mofos i mean how hard can it be,and even if it is hard and takes you 10 hours to get a hang of it still better then going out and getting your head chewed off.
    but then again i know it wouldnt be much of a episode if he did that,but meet us half way.
    if i was a writer i would have him do that for say couple of minutes and then have him run out of diesel just for the sake of credibility

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

i still dont get why they just dont get one of those tanks learn a day how to run the fucker and just mow down every walker they come across.
    even the second ep,when he was stuck in the tank..hellllooooooo you are in a tank,try to start it,maybe run down some of those mofos i mean how hard can it be,and even if it is hard and takes you 10 hours to get a hang of it still better then going out and getting your head chewed off.
    but then again i know it wouldnt be much of a episode if he did that,but meet us half way.
    if i was a writer i would have him do that for say couple of minutes and then have him run out of diesel just for the sake of credibility

I have a hard time suspending the disbelieve that a bunch of brainless zombies managed to kill all these guys in tanks and armored vehicles as easily as they supposedly did. Seems like any reasonably fortified position could resist the zombies indefinitely and they could just send tanks out to squash zombies until they got bored.

9. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I have a hard time suspending the disbelieve that a bunch of brainless zombies managed to kill all these guys in tanks and armored vehicles as easily as they supposedly did. Seems like any reasonably fortified position could resist the zombies indefinitely and they could just send tanks out to squash zombies until they got bored.

Good point, but you have to do this to enjoy the whole genre. As I mentioned before, the threat that zombies pose in cinema is extremely unrealistic. You have to be willing to overlook a lot to accept that slow-moving, mindless, unarmed humans with poor motor skills who have to bite you to be effective would pose a widescale serious threat to Western Civilization (or any civilization, really).

As others have said, you'll be better off if you give up worrying about crap like that and just enjoy the movie.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Is there anyway to set a thread on ignore?

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Is there anyway to set a thread on ignore?

dont....click, simple really.

12. Jr Mouse

It's like 28 Days later. One person gets infected on the inside and it gets out of control. Plus, you have to assume that this threat took everyone by total surprise. A zombie outbreak could go on for some time people took it seriously. Can you imagine being the guy who has to report to the President that the dead are walking and eating people? If this outbreak started all over the world at once, there could have been a lot of damage done before the military got fully involved. As for the tank, it could have been out of gas for all we know.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

dont....click, simple really.

Not really, this thread has its moments of promise that drive me to come back hoping, just hoping retards that forget TV shows are not the real world will open their minds. But today, I was disappointed like I am 80% of the time.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It's like 28 Days later. One person gets infected on the inside and it gets out of control. Plus, you have to assume that this threat took everyone by total surprise. A zombie outbreak could go on for some time people took it seriously. Can you imagine being the guy who has to report to the President that the dead are walking and eating people? If this outbreak started all over the world at once, there could have been a lot of damage done before the military got fully involved.

As for the tank, it could have been out of gas for all we know.

I understand individual tanks running out of gas and such, but on a worldwide level it bugs me.

This is all meta-criticism, I can ignore it when I'm actually watching/reading.

15. Jr Mouse

I understand individual tanks running out of gas and such, but on a worldwide level it bugs me.

This is all meta-criticism, I can ignore it when I'm actually watching/reading.

I understand. I just think it's too easy to pick appart a good show instead of just enjoying it. No show or movie is perfect. To me the tank thing is a non issue. Hell I just figured all the tank drivers were either turned or eaten before they could mount an offensive.

16. javyn

javyn Senior member

Best damn show I've seen in a long time. Never read the comic, but I'm a zombie fanatic. I haven't seen anything this good since Savini's remake of NOTLD.

In terms of writing, and quality, it's right up there with Oz IMO.

17. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

I understand. I just think it's too easy to pick appart a good show instead of just enjoying it. No show or movie is perfect. To me the tank thing is a non issue. Hell I just figured all the tank drivers were either turned or eaten before they could mount an offensive.

those things are not mutually exclusive...you can pick a show apart and still enjoy it,its no even criticisms really just discussion

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Dunno about the ultimate quality of the writing part. Never saw oz but this isn't the best i've seen "in a long time". However, it's certainly a lot of fun to watch and I get totally drawn into it. Which is saying much as I ever only regularly watch a handful of shows a year. Anyway I certainly don't need the writers to explain away everything just so I can enjoy it.

19. z7f9q

z7f9q Senior member

I don't think the writing has been that great. There's been a couple of episodes that were clunky at best. The "old folks" episode definitely didn't work for me.

I still enjoy the show though, looking forward to the finale.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

OK, what the fuck just happened? Talk about veering off course. Jesus. Spoilers for the babies:
    There was no one alive at CDC in the comics.