1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Very Best Hot Sauce.......

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GusW, Jan 11, 2011.

1. arced

arced Senior member

Nice. How long does homemade hot sauce last? I grew habaneros, jalapenos and thai chillis in my garden (will probably introduce another variety this spring also) and wouldn't mind coming up with a concoction myself since I always end up with excess.

I've made hot sauces a bunch of times. They last for months in the refrigerator. I think the vinegar, salt, and peppers act as preservatives. If you have peppers lying around, you should definitely made hot sauce. It's great being able to control the flavor and heat, plus it's super cheap compared to anything store bought. A few pages ago in this thread, I posted a NYT recipe for a habanero hot sauce. It's great. Takes 20 minutes. No special ingredients and really tasty. If you google hot sauce recipe, there's tons on the web.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Nice. How long does homemade hot sauce last? I grew habaneros, jalapenos and thai chillis in my garden (will probably introduce another variety this spring also) and wouldn't mind coming up with a concoction myself since I always end up with excess.
    It depends. A cold pack needs to be refrigerated and shelf life is a month to a few months generally speaking. I use a hot pack method and when I bottle it up I also hot pack that. Since a restaurant is using my stuff it has to be prepared in an inspected kitchen and I use FDA recommended procedures. Shelf life of my stuff is years and requires no refrigeration after opening.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

+2

+3

4. the_state

the_state Senior member

I like the vinegary, Tabasco style hot sauces over the Asian and Mexican varieties. Louisiana is my fav. Just enough heat, full texture (not as thin like Tabasco), very rich good flavor.

[​IMG]

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

I've made hot sauces a bunch of times. They last for months in the refrigerator. I think the vinegar, salt, and peppers act as preservatives. If you have peppers lying around, you should definitely made hot sauce. It's great being able to control the flavor and heat, plus it's super cheap compared to anything store bought. A few pages ago in this thread, I posted a NYT recipe for a habanero hot sauce. It's great. Takes 20 minutes. No special ingredients and really tasty. If you google hot sauce recipe, there's tons on the web.

It depends. A cold pack needs to be refrigerated and shelf life is a month to a few months generally speaking. I use a hot pack method and when I bottle it up I also hot pack that. Since a restaurant is using my stuff it has to be prepared in an inspected kitchen and I use FDA recommended procedures. Shelf life of my stuff is years and requires no refrigeration after opening.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be concocting my own hot sauce this summer.

6. Zachgranstrom

Zachgranstrom Senior member

Castillo
    [​IMG]

El Yucateco
    [​IMG]

The Sauce Enhancer
    [​IMG]

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried this the other day for the first time because of this thread. It is awesome.

I'll be back.

[​IMG]

Love this stuff

8. KJT

KJT Senior member

a few years ago I spent a couple of weeks on Ambergris Caye and was introduced to Marie Sharp's brand Habanero hot sauce... they had one that was carrot-based. Delicious!

[​IMG]

Yeah dude - I order this by the case. Absolutely the best hot sauce I've ever had.

9. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

A second on the tapatio.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

More of a specialty sauce but I love this poured over roasted chicken for some thing different. Great flavor, not too hot. I've been going through bottles of it.

[​IMG]

11. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

Since you've been in the game for a while, any reccs on recipies to begin with? I noticed the NYT one posted earlier, but was wondering if you have any ideas on the types of bottle to use, what technique will allow for longer storage, and other tid bits.
    I personally like a hotsauce with more flavor than heat and for the most part hate sauces that are just inundated with vinegar(franks comes to mind).

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

A second on the tapatio.

I'm really coming around to this. It has good consistency.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

14. YoroiChuu

YoroiChuu Senior member

Tapatio

+1

[​IMG]

15. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

I love tabasco chipotle hot sauce...amazing

Can't believe it took that many posts for some one to say this. Still, I love me some sriracha (current fav for quesadillas) as well as Cholula and tapatio. I worked with a Hispanic guy once who would ask for tapatio sauce in whatever restaurant we ate lunch at ( burger, Italian...). This being southern California, the inevitable Hispanic cooks in the kitchen always had some to bring out for him

16. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Get some of this in yo life: [​IMG]

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I tried this the other day for the first time because of this thread. It is awesome. I'll be back.
    Still can't find this shit anywhere. Can anyone tell me the nutritional facts from the label please?

18. Nil

Nil Senior member

Still can't find this shit anywhere. Can anyone tell me the nutritional facts from the label please?

In what kind of crazy podunk town do you live in? You don't even have to go to an Asian grocery store around here to find it, the regular ones carry it also.

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

In what kind of crazy podunk town do you live in? You don't even have to go to an Asian grocery store around here to find it, the regular ones carry it also.
    No go at Super Walmart or Target, Publix, or Winn Dixie. I might have to venture over to an Asian market to find it. Oddly enough, every one of those stores carries hotcock sauce. There really isn't that big of an Asian population down here. Might be why.

20. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Active Member

Depends on what I'm eating. Cajun/Creole/fried/southern foods, Crystal. Mexican, it's San Pedro Jalapeno or chile pequin and Valentina. Sriracha on just about everything else. Harissa sometimes. I tried making my own out of last years Hatch peppers I had left over, turned out better than I thought it would.