1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Very Best Hot Sauce.......

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GusW, Jan 11, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Is Japanese Yuzukosho available in the US? It is great...peppers and citrus and salt.

[​IMG]

It's super rare to find outside of Japan... but it's one of my favorite condiments of all time. With chicken, a match made in heaven. I don't even like fish that much, but I'd eat fish if I could have some yuzugoshou on the side.

.... but is it hot enough to be a hot sauce? [​IMG]

2. impolyt_one

3. Alter

Alter Senior member

It's super rare to find outside of Japan... but it's one of my favorite condiments of all time. With chicken, a match made in heaven. I don't even like fish that much, but I'd eat fish if I could have some yuzugoshou on the side.

.... but is it hot enough to be a hot sauce? [​IMG]

Completely agree....and I am also not sure if it can be considered a "hot sauce". But trust me on this Impolyt and find yourself some of this stuff: http://konohana-g.shop-pro.jp/?pid=10486232

4. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

This one is quite good for Asian-type food:

[​IMG]

5. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

+1

I don't care how many black people they put on the bottle, "Pain is good" sauce is really good. I like to use it to kick up the heat and flavor of fresh salsas I think are too mild.

spoken like a true racist, you must be proud

6. Nil

Nil Senior member

Honorable mentions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is the middle one some sort of chili oil? If so, I have all three of these also and they're all very good. This thread is making me realize how many different kinds of hot sauces I have. I basically have one for every occasion and cuisine.

7. impolyt_one

yeah that's exactly what it is, red chili sesame oil. Commonly used to top things like mapo tofu, or your cup ramen, etc.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

yeah that's exactly what it is, red chili sesame oil. Commonly used to top things like mapo tofu, or your cup ramen, etc.

wonton soups... noodle soups, any noodle dishes.... chili oil will better it. the sucky part is when you're so used to having your noodle/soups spicy and you don't have it around.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Quite partial to the Chipotle Tabasco.[​IMG]

Also Valentina's a great sauce that, again, is bigger on flavor than pure heat.[​IMG]

That Chili Garlic stuff with the rooster on it from the first page is insane. Had that with some hot pot we recently made up and it was great, but way hotter than I would've initially thought.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I've been growing my own peppers and making hot sauces for a long time. I bottle some of it up and give it away to a few friends for Christmas and everyone keeps saying I should sell it. Perhaps I'll get around to it one of these days. One of the local restaurants keeps a few bottles of my really hot stuff on hand for those customers who say they want real hot sauce. It's rather comical watching someone eat something loaded up with my Bhut Jolokia or Savina Habanero sauce for the first time.

Anyway this year I've made a hot banana/jalapeno blend, jalapeno sauce, cayenne sauce, tabasco sauce (way better than McIlhenny's watered down stuff), orange habanero sauce, savina habanero sauce, a garlic orange and savina habanero blend, and of course the dreaded ghost pepper sauce from hell.

Of course I'm a bit biased but my hot sauces are the best. LOL.

11. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I've been growing my own peppers and making hot sauces for a long time. I bottle some of it up and give it away to a few friends for Christmas and everyone keeps saying I should sell it. Perhaps I'll get around to it one of these days. One of the local restaurants keeps a few bottles of my really hot stuff on hand for those customers who say they want real hot sauce. It's rather comical watching someone eat something loaded up with my Bhut Jolokia or Savina Habanero sauce for the first time.

Anyway this year I've made a hot banana/jalapeno blend, jalapeno sauce, cayenne sauce, tabasco sauce (way better than McIlhenny's watered down stuff), orange habanero sauce, savina habanero sauce, a garlic orange and savina habanero blend, and of course the dreaded ghost pepper sauce from hell.

Of course I'm a bit biased but my hot sauces are the best. LOL.

Share! I'll pay for shipping.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Share! I'll pay for shipping.
    Oh that's a can of worms. LOL. Maybe I should come up with an SF only blend? Hmmm. A garlic, cayenne, orange habanero blend with a touch of lime perhaps? That should provide a nice immediate bite with a citrusy taste from the lime and orange habanero before the flame really kicks in with a nice mellow garlic aftertaste.

13. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Oh that's a can of worms. LOL.

Maybe I should come up with an SF only blend?

Hmmm. A garlic, cayenne, orange habanero blend with a touch of lime perhaps?

That should provide a nice immediate bite with a citrusy taste from the lime and orange habanero before the flame really kicks in with a nice mellow garlic aftertaste.

+1 on buying it if you ever decide to sell [​IMG]

14. Spats

Spats Senior member

Also Valentina's a great sauce that, again, is bigger on flavor than pure heat.[​IMG]
    Eat this on almost anything while standing near an idling diesel pickup in your driveway for that sabor de Mexico. Ay, ay, ay! [​IMG]

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I could make up a batch of the above and see how it goes I suppose. So who's interested in a bottle of SF's exclusive hot sauce? So far I see two hands. Basically it's going to cost whatever a bottle, the label, the few ingredients I have to buy and a buck a bottle for my time and peppers along with shipping. I use the small 1.7 ounce McIlehenny's type bottle BTW. Figure around 3 bucks a bottle or so plus shipping. Next year the pepper garden is going to be much larger and I'm planning on growing a bunch of the really exotic stuff. Jolokias, 3 different kinds of habanero, scotch bonnet, caribbean red, fatali, tepin, some thai variants, a nasty hot chinese variant along with the usual serrano, jalapeno, cayenne, tobasco, bells and banana peppers I grow each year.

16. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

a few years ago I spent a couple of weeks on Ambergris Caye and was introduced to Marie Sharp's brand Habanero hot sauce... they had one that was carrot-based. Delicious!

[​IMG]

17. arced

arced Senior member

+2

18. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

+2
    Alright! I think I'll add shallots to the recipe. That'll basically mean I'm making an authentic Haitian hot sauce for whatever that's worth. LOL.

19. arced

arced Senior member

Alright!

I think I'll add shallots to the recipe. That'll basically mean I'm making an authentic Haitian hot sauce for whatever that's worth. LOL.

Cool! Haitian sounds delicious. [​IMG]

20. Nil

Nil Senior member

Nice. How long does homemade hot sauce last? I grew habaneros, jalapenos and thai chillis in my garden (will probably introduce another variety this spring also) and wouldn't mind coming up with a concoction myself since I always end up with excess.