1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Very Best Hot Sauce.......

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GusW, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

is that a real printed bible??
    It is a real bible, I just looked for 5 mins to try to find mine but it is MIA at the moment.
    This sauce has piqued my interests -- does it have a strong vinegar taste? I hate it when sauces are more sour and vinegary than flavorful. This is also why I LOVE sliced jalapenos 'pickled' in oil and HATE jalapenos pickled in salt/vinegar brines.
    No, not real vinegary. Just a full flavor hot sauce, but I'd call it more warm than hot. Once, I put it in Kraft Dinner. As white trash as it sounds, it was fantastic.

2. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Oh! Is that Pio's calf tattoo?!!
    accept no substitutes. the 'cock' sriracha's the only one worth getting [​IMG]

3. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

I'm surprised there's such little love for Dave's Insanity. I can't be the only one who only cares about heat when it comes to hot sauces.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm surprised there's such little love for Dave's Insanity. I can't be the only one who only cares about heat when it comes to hot sauces.

Just too hot for me. It covers up the flavor. I'm long past the "how hot can I make this" sauces. They just numb your taste buds, IMO.

5. arced

arced Senior member

Has anyone made this? I just made my second batch, so easy, so cheap. I double the habañeros to make it a bit more spicy:

Garlicky Red Chili Hot Sauce
    Published: August 20, 2010

Time: 20 minutes plus 3 days' standing

4 hot red or orange chili peppers, such as habañero
    2 red bell peppers ( 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
    5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.

1. Wearing rubber or latex gloves, roughly chop the chilies. Combine all ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat. Once mixture is simmering, reduce heat to low, cover and continue to simmer until peppers are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Do not inhale vapors; they will sting.

2. Transfer mixture to a blender and purÃ[​IMG]e. Pour into a medium jar and allow to cool uncovered. Cover tightly and refrigerate for three days. Keep stored in refrigerator; sauce will last for several weeks or months.

Yield: 2 cups.
    A version of this recipe appeared in print on August 25, 2010, on page D2 of the New York edition.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/di...5apperex2.html

6. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

Golden Mountain Sriracha Panich. The thai original. 54% chili content. Not to confuse with non-thai versions by Huy Fong Foods etc.

[​IMG]

7. em36

em36 Senior member

I don't know about that being the very best, it is pretty good though.

I'm pretty fond of Nando's peri-peri sauce...

I'm pretty fond of their commercials

8. spokes

spokes New Member

9. fffffut

fffffut Senior member

franks wing sauce is great
    it has a good flavor and its pretty rich and buttery

10. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

My favourite hot sauce is Pain Is Good's Jamaican Hot Sauce: habaneros, pineapple juice, lime juice and jerk spices. [​IMG] Great with ribs!

11. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

tie for first: korean gochujang and Tabasco
    third: sambal oelek
    fourth: sriracha

franks red hot is too salty
    tapatio just tastes cheap to me
    all the other gimmicky sauces suck too (usually combine the following concepts: "kick-ass", "southern", "louisiana", black man's face on bottle)

12. Alter

Alter Senior member

Is Japanese Yuzukosho available in the US? It is great...peppers and citrus and salt.

[​IMG]

13. Jpreme87

Jpreme87 Senior member

14. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Found a Blair's Ultra Death at my local Cost Plus.

God this stuff is just ridiculous and inedible. It's a really nice heat if you figure out not to use too much.

I've gone through a bottle of Tapatio because I can go through 3 bottles of Tapatio for the same price as one bottle of Cholula.

I might just pick up a Cholula and some of this other stuff you guys are talking about. I've always been curious about the Sriracha Chili Garlic.

15. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

tie for first: korean gochujang and Tabasco third: sambal oelek fourth: sriracha franks red hot is too salty tapatio just tastes cheap to me all the other gimmicky sauces suck too (usually combine the following concepts: "kick-ass", "southern", "louisiana", black man's face on bottle)
    A most valuable opinion coming from someone who puts red hot vinegar at the top of his list...

16. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

A most valuable opinion coming from someone who puts red hot vinegar at the top of his list...

Yep. I find "flavor" to be a good way to judge sauces. Much more reliable than "is this a Black man's face on the bottle? It must be good"

17. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

Yep. I find "flavor" to be a good way to judge sauces. Much more reliable than "is this a Black man's face on the bottle? It must be good"

Yet you judge the bottle with the Jamaican man on it by its label. Sounds rather contradictory and silly to me.

18. caxt

caxt Well-Known Member

My favourite hot sauce is Pain Is Good's Jamaican Hot Sauce: habaneros, pineapple juice, lime juice and jerk spices.

[​IMG]

Great with ribs!

+1

I don't care how many black people they put on the bottle, "Pain is good" sauce is really good. I like to use it to kick up the heat and flavor of fresh salsas I think are too mild.

19. kruze

kruze Senior member

I've tried a few in this thread but I am recently obsessed with the viet chili garlic paste. That stuff is awesome.

Also if I make anything fried, I like to mix soy-water-siracha. Better than the tempura sauce you can get at the azn market.