The Very Best Hot Sauce.......

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GusW, Jan 11, 2011.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

This is my favorite hot sauce for chili. I got it at a gas station in West Virginia, but I've ordered more online since. [​IMG]

2. Wackadoodle

Wackadoodle Well-Known Member

Crystal Sauce, the real Louisiana hot sauce. Cheap and good balance between heat and flavor.

[​IMG]

Pickapeppa is sweeter and hotter, especially good on chili and hot dogs.

[​IMG]

Cholula's pretty good too, just never get it at the store.

3. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

for mexican

PICO PICA hands down

I assume you're a fan of Charlie's Chili by Newport Pier as that's the only place I've seen this.

Picking a best hot sauce is just not possible for me as I am a huge fan of hot sauce and like all the varieties for different foods or moods I am in.

As to the OP, Cholula is great but I wish they made it a bit hotter. I go through about half a bottle per meal.

4. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

5. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I like Cholula a lot, I also like Sriracha and Tabasco Jalapeno too[​IMG]

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Here it is, the very best hot sauce - Cholula, made in Mexico. Available most places (Safeway, etc.). Hot, but not burning. Full of flavor not just heat. (Why I like it better than Tabasco) It comes in the bottle with the real wooden cap.

A family favorite for years, we use it often for breakfast and seafood as well as for traditional Mexican food dishes. Try it next time you have scrambled eggs or fresh oysters. Yum!

[​IMG]

I prefer Tobasco to Chulula, even though I do like Chululah.

Here in Houston, Tx. every single Taqueria I have been to, as well as medium and decent Mexican restaurants have Chululah at the table.

Some have Tobasco also and some do not. A typical taqueria like Arandas would probably have just Chululah, while a decent restaurant like Pappasittas will usually have both.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went through a "hotter is better" phase but found I could taste more and therefor enjoy more by dialing back the heat and going for flavor. But, we each have our won tastes, don't we? To me Cholula has the most wonderful hot and tangy flavor but still allows me to taste the rest of the meal.

8. GusW

rnoldh...those are some nice ZZ Top video links you got there. Some how them seem quite fitting mixed in with a discussion about hot sauce. I would think the Reverend Willy G would approve. Have mercy.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

ever been around indonesians?

they actually concoct this sauce that has those tiny thai chilis (about 1cm long that is pepperspray/mace strong), soy sauce, and ketchup. for anything protein/fatty its awesome. it really just brings out the flavors where you can tell the different ingredients (weird since its so strong, but it will).

its the thai/southeast asian variety of pepper thats actually too strong to use alone for food unless finely minced. they are easy to grow and aesthetically pleasing so you can just plant seeds into a medium pot and just water them.

[​IMG]

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I assume you're a fan of Charlie's Chili by Newport Pier as that's the only place I've seen this.

Picking a best hot sauce is just not possible for me as I am a huge fan of hot sauce and like all the varieties for different foods or moods I am in.

As to the OP, Cholula is great but I wish they made it a bit hotter. I go through about half a bottle per meal.

haha. actually pico pica is everwhere it is at vons or your local chain grocery market.
    youre right though picking a best sauce is not possible as i like a lot of them for their different characteristics, so saying any one sauce here kind of implies you dont like the others which isnt the case.
    i would love to see how you go through a half bottle of cholula a meal. i would pay you to see that !!

11. cryan1980

cryan1980 Member

chili willy is a nice hab. sauce.

Cholula, sriracha, and Crystals are always in stock at or house.

12. caxt

caxt Well-Known Member

My Top 3:

1. Gator Hammock - personal favorite usually available at firehouse subs, made in Felda, FL.

2. Sriracha -new standby

3. Tabasco - old standby

13. GusW

I remember traveling down into New Orleans area back in the 70's. They served Crystal everywhere. I like it a little better than Tabasco but Tabasco has its own unique and wonderful flavor.

14. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

This stuff is pretty good. The bible is real too.

[​IMG]

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

accept no substitutes. the 'cock' sriracha's the only one worth getting [​IMG]