• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vegas Vacation

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don't gamble, what is the whole appeal of this vacation? I'm in my 20's and very social, but I just don't get it. There are many unique places to visit in the world, maybe it's a sign of how culturally sheltered we are in this country. Some of my friends are always saying "Lets go to Vegas", almost as if you have to say this at least once a year if you want to be considered a "guy". Call me crazy, but I prefer to do something unique on my vacations. I can get drunk here. I'd rather go on a cruise or go overseas and get to do things I physically can't do at home. Maybe if I lived on the west coast and it wasn't a 4 hour flight it would make more sense. I just can't justify sitting on a plane for 4 hours to get wasted.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I had to go to Vegas for work the other week. Agree with you, though in this case it was tolerable as someone else picked up the tab for dinner and I won $40 playing blackjack (high roller, I am). But yeah, I've had my fix for, oh, the next 20 years.

Seven

Reaction score
It's a cheap getaway vs a trip to a more "cultured" destination. For under a $100 bucks a day you can get drunk, eat till you explode, get laid, shoot off automatic guns in the desert, go dune buggyin, golf, sunbath next to hot nekked girls, get laid, get drunk some more, go clubbin, more drinks, simulated skydiving, see more nekked girls, and see some pretty good entertaiment. A great value for your money IMHO.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seven
It's a cheap getaway vs a trip to a more "cultured" destination. For under a $100 bucks a day you can get drunk, eat till you explode, get laid, shoot off automatic guns in the desert, go dune buggyin, golf, sunbath next to hot nekked girls, get laid, get drunk some more, go clubbin, more drinks, simulated skydiving, see more nekked girls, and see some pretty good entertaiment. A great value for your money IMHO.

A beer is 6.50 at the decent or above clubs, mixed drinks are $10 or more and there's usually a cover. A night of drinking is easily $100. I'm not sure how you're planning on going shooting, dune buggyin, golfing and skydiving and drinking for $100 a day.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask what "simulated skydiving" is?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
A beer is 6.50 at the decent or above clubs, mixed drinks are $10 or more and there's usually a cover. A night of drinking is easily $100. I'm not sure how you're planning on going shooting, dune buggyin, golfing and skydiving and drinking for $100 a day.
There are world class restaurants and resorts there. There are also dive bars and cheap motels there. I like Vegas. I like the gaming sector. I like the nightlife and the gambling and the restaurants and the suites and the parties. I guess if you don't like that, don't go and stay in. No worries.

Seven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
May I ask what "simulated skydiving" is?

You get decked out in a skydiving suite, go inside room with a big ass fan in the floor and levitate over the fan.

Seven

Reaction score

The perks are not as good as they use to be, but if you talk to your host/hostess or concierge, they can get you into clubs without a cover, also provide drink specials amongst other. Plus you may want to stay for more than one day and spread the activities around. There is also what Haganah suggested and go to places off the strip, where beers/drinks can be had for $1, with no cover, and just because it's off the strip it doesn't have to be dive bar, but then again it's pretty fun drinking with the locals.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole Vegas thing is only enjoyable with a huge pinch of irony (cannot think of a better translation for "second degrÃ
00a9.png
" in French). If you actually look at the place, its horribly tacky hotels and manufactured fun/nightlife, it can be rather depressing and a turn-off. If you don't really consider this too closely and get into the rythm of that amusement park for adults, you may be able to enjoy yourself, but I'd say that's entirely dependent on your company. The part about Vegas being cheap goes completely against my own experience though - even if you don't gamble, that place will suck every twenty out of your pockets.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Assuming you don't gamble, what is the whole appeal of this vacation? I'm in my 20's and very social, but I just don't get it. There are many unique places to visit in the world, maybe it's a sign of how culturally sheltered we are in this country. Some of my friends are always saying "Lets go to Vegas", almost as if you have to say this at least once a year if you want to be considered a "guy". Call me crazy, but I prefer to do something unique on my vacations. I can get drunk here. I'd rather go on a cruise or go overseas and get to do things I physically can't do at home. Maybe if I lived on the west coast and it wasn't a 4 hour flight it would make more sense. I just can't justify sitting on a plane for 4 hours to get wasted.

Vegas is fun. I enjoy the gambling, but there's plenty to do there that's not gambling. It's a fun place to just walk around and enjoy the decadence. It's a great place to party with a bunch of guys - you'll find clubs and bars that blow the doors off just about anything you'll find anywhere else for sheer over-the-top factor and hot girls, and there's a huge selection of them in case you get bored where you are.

But if you don't like it, don't go.

Your implication though that those who do go and enjoy it are culturally shallow is pretty lame. Plenty of people enjoy Vegas and also enjoy more exotic, less party-oriented vacation destinations. And to use it to make some kind of sweeping cultural generalization about America ignores that Vegas is a top destination for foreign travelers. There is much better evidence out there for America's cultural naivete.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vegas is awesome (but expensive). Its great for a guy's weekend, but not a "vacation". Its very expensive, I'd be almost cheaper to take a vacation to europe for what I've spent in 2-3 days there (I don't gamble either).

I go for the rehab pool party, which is just awesome. The clubs are fun too, and I'm not really a clubbing type of guy. I have gone to a bunch of boxing and some MMA events there, great environments. Steak and Eggs, walking around totally wasted in an upscale environment.....all fun.

But yeah, if you're coming from the east coast or something, its not really worth it to go super-frequently.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Vegas is awesome (but expensive). Its great for a guy's weekend, but not a "vacation". Its very expensive, I'd be almost cheaper to take a vacation to europe for what I've spent in 2-3 days there (I don't gamble either). I go for the rehab pool party, which is just awesome. The clubs are fun too, and I'm not really a clubbing type of guy. But yeah, if you're coming from the east coast or something, its not really worth it to go super-frequently.
the wynn is 129 a night. flights are usually super cheap from NY - often around 200 or so.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been a dozen times for work, and then once with my wife and another couple for a 2 day vacation and to get married by elvis (on a road trip cross country). it isn't my favorite place in the world, but it is fun just to walk around for a day or two to see the excess. like greg said, it has to be taken with some irony

SystemShock

Reaction score
Vegas is sort of like a train-wreck. You know you shouldn't look, but you can't help it.

Everyone should go once, and then never again, probably.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seven
you can get drunk, eat till you explode, get laid, shoot off automatic guns in the desert, go dune buggyin, golf, sunbathe next to hot nekked girls
Where exactly does that last one happen? Saw a lot of girls in bikinis, but no 'nekked' ones. If I had, my opinion of Vegas might be different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads