• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vase thread

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the behest of designprofessor and a few others, I thought i'd post a few niiice non-clothing objects from my job - today's theme is vases. Comments and questions are most welcome, but I suspect this is more of a vase-Appreciation thread... First a few silver and silver/enamel ones:
33105-1.jpg
Guttorm K. Gagnes for David-Andersen, Oslo, late thirties. H: 19 cm
33363-3.jpg
Grete Prytz (Korsmo) Kittelsen for Tostrup, Oslo, around 1960. H: 50 cm
30926-1.jpg
Johan Sirnes for David-Andersen, Oslo, around 1920. H: 12 cm
30939-1.jpg
Unknown designer for Aksel Holmsen, Oslo, around 1950. H: 12 cm
31054-4.jpg
Attributed to Tapio Wirkkala, Finland, around 1960. H: 20 cm
32168-1.jpg
Torolf Prytz for Tostrup, Oslo, 1900. Exhibited at the Paris Universal Exposition 1900 and sold to a French family there. This is quality to rival LC Tiffany's work. H: 16 cm
32303-4.jpg
Attributed to Arne Korsmo. Tostrup, Oslo, around 1950. H: 7 cm
33587-13.jpg
MH Wilkens & Sohne, Hamburg 1938. Silver with ivory feet. Made for a ship's christening. H: 24 cm
34046-3.jpg
David-Andersen, Oslo, 1920s. H: 15,5 cm
34046-6.jpg
Henrik Møller, Trondheim, around 1905. H: 44cm
34363-7.jpg
Jacob Prytz for Tostrup, Oslo. Very tactile, this one, with the hammered surfaces, and the small inlays of champlevÃ
00a9.png
enamel at the base. H: 17 cm
34451-1.jpg
Tostrup, Oslo, 1920s. I think probably by Jacob Prytz. H: 22 cm
35490-4.jpg
Jacob Prytz for Tostrup, Oslo, 1932. H: 18 cm

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the vases are visually interesting and some of them are quite beautiful. Do any of them have an interesting provenance? Thanks for the images and please keep them coming when you are able!

I particularly like the little gourd and I am right with designprofessor on his selections.

SilverVases-Triptych.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Can you tell me more about this:
32303-4.jpg

Absolutely - this one was probably designed by the Norwegian architect Arne Korsmo in the early fifties, for the goldsmiths firm Tostrup, which was owned by his wife's family. His then wife Grete Prytz Korsmo is probably the more better known modern designer, - Korsmo is mostly known as a very influential architect. Blue enamel over engine-turned pattern. Height: 7 cm.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I like these two.
smile.gif

The one on the right was made by the goldsmith Henrik Møller, probably around the time of Norwegian independence and the coronation of king Haakon VII, that is, around 1905. The decor is all with motifs from the saga of St. Olav, the national patron saint. It's what's often called "The Dragon Style", somewhat akin to the Celtic revival in the UK. Chased silver, height: 44cm. Here's a short article on the style by the leading authority: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._20050939/pg_1
Henrik Bertram Moller was the fourth generation of his family to operate a silver-smithing business in Trondheim, not far from Nidaros Cathedral, Norway's largest and oldest. He trained in Copenhagen, Denmark, with Peter Hertz (1834-1895), the Danish court goldsmith famous for his Viking revival drinking horns. After further studies in Vienna and New York, Moller returned to Trondheim in 1884 and took over his father's shop. He blended scenes from the sagas with dragons and grotesque masks inspired by those in Nidaros Cathedral. (...) Clearly, Moller satisfied the Victorian need for both the quaint and the grotesque, as did the ceramics of George E. Ohr (1857-1918)(6) in the United States and the designs of Christopher Dresser (1834-1904) in Britain. In 1906 Moller made a tea service that he suggested the women of Trondheim present to King Haakon VII and his queen at their coronation in Nidaros Cathedral that year. However, the design was so outre that it was rejected as unsuitable. Fortunately, King Chulalongkorn found it pleasing and bought it when he passed through the city that year. Unaffected by criticism, Moller continued to work in the dragon style until his death in 1937.
The other one is also Norwegian, made by the David-Andersen firm in the twenties - it's a very good example of the Scandinavian neo-classical art deco. Same technique as the top one - enamel over engine-turned (and in this case gilt) silver. Height: 15,5 cm

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
I particularly like the little gourd and I am right with designprofessor on his selections.
Thanks, all, for replying to this - didn't know whether there would be any interest for them. The gourd-shaped vase was made by Tostrup - the same Norwegian firm that was behind the blue one above. There's little enamel rosettes on the waist of it, and a wooden plinth. Height: 22 cm
34451-1.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this with a few glass vases:
34709-1.jpg
AE Boman for Hadeland, Norway, 1911. No 25 of around 110 different numbered pieces. H: 31 cm
33411-2.jpg
Willy Johansson for Hadeland, Norway. (FC: This model is the one usually called the "Penguin" here.) Around 1960. H: 22 cm
30999-10.jpg
Timo Sarpaneva for Ittala, around 1960. H: 16 cm.
34312-2.jpg
Willy Johansson for Hadeland, Norway. Around 1960. H: 19
32913-2.jpg
Vicke Lindstrand for Kosta, Sweden "Arabesque". Around 1960. H: 32 cm
33700-1.jpg
Willy Johansson for Hadeland, Norway. 1962. H: 19 cm
33002-1.jpg
Willy Johansson for Hadeland, Norway. 1953. H: 12 cm
32244-1.jpg
Edvin Öhrström for Orrefors "Ariel", Sweden. H: 21
31801-2.jpg
AE Boman for Hadeland, Norway, 1911. No 97 of around 110 different numbered pieces. H: 29 cm
31792-3.jpg
Willy Johansson for Hadeland, Norway. 1955. H: 38 cm
31536-1.jpg
This one's Venetian, I'd think probably Venini or maybe Seguso. (Unamrked). H: 36
31378-1.jpg
Edvin Öhrström for Orrefors "Ariel", Sweden. H: 16 cm

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful - where do I get stuff like THAT? ;p

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is magic in well-executed glass. I particularly like the little "penguin" with the visible punt.

30999-10.jpg

Many years ago, we started collecting glass pieces accidentally. It must have been somewhere around 1982 or so. In the window of a resale shop was an enchantingly colorful and large glasswork. A year or two after paying the enormous ransom of twenty dollars for it, we were informed that it was made by Dale Chihuly and likely worth several hundred times what we paid. This beauty now resides in the foyer of home in Cargese.

Please, do tell us a little something about each of the pieces. At least, identify the maker or school.

Bouji

Reaction score
sorry, meant to start new thread.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the window of a resale shop was an enchantingly colorful and large glasswork. A year or two after paying the enormous ransom of twenty dollars for it, we were informed that it was made by Dale Chihuly and likely worth several hundred times what we paid. This beauty now resides in the foyer of home in Cargese.
Damn, that's luck (well, and a good eye). I'd like to see pics of it, if poss.
Please, do tell us a little something about each of the pieces. At least, identify the maker or school.
Will do - I'm working late just now, so I'll just paste in a few facts about each one below the photo. (Most are Norwegian, and local fare for me.)

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Willy Johansson for Hadeland, Norway. (FC: This model is the one usually called the "Penguin" here.) Around 1960. H: 22 cm
The Sarpaneva for Ittala penguin simply ate more fish than the Johansson penguins above it! Thanks for editing and adding identification text with each image.

Damn, that's luck (well, and a good eye). I'd like to see pics of it, if poss.
It's mostly luck. We just collect things that please our eyes.
We won't be in Cargese until July of this year. I searched my photo files of that house and can't find any image with the Chihuly visible.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few Chinese ones: Tang, 618-906, greenish Qing-bai glaze on a hellenistic form, H: 40 cm:
32458-3.jpg
Sung, 960-1279, H: 18 cm
32320-1.jpg
Late Sung/early Yuan, 13th/14th C, H: 16 cm
32324-2.jpg
Yuan, 1279-1368, grey-green Qing-bai glaze, H: 24 cm:
32591-1.jpg

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/sluttstykke/32320-1.jpg

More lovely little vases! The Sung piece in your second image reminds me ever so slightly of a little gray and blue one we have in Minsk. Our vase is a roughish dark gray lower with a bright cobalt blue over-glaze near the top area.

Being relatively art ignorant as I am, I assumed our piece was a nineteenth century Japanese item. Maybe it is not? It simply means that I should some day get all of these things identified.

Oh, well. Please continue to post the items from your auction firm when you have the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads