• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vans Thread

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like these patched Vault Sk8 Hi makeups:

C065BC92-CBF6-43A7-BAA3-E11E85E2877A_900x.jpeg

04181448_5cb80facc6c98.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep a pair of high top Old Skool for motorcycle riding when it becomes too hot outside to wear boots. I know they provide absolutely zero protection in event of a wreck, but those are risks I am OK with taking. I like the plain vanilla canvas and rubber sneakers, and would probably wear those if I didn't already have a serious New Balance addiction..

trafficjam

Reaction score
Depends on the water temp. Spring or fall surfing in the mid-atlantic? Gimme those bad boys.

Nader393

Reaction score
My go-to sneakers are a pair of all black perforated leather Vans slip-ons. They're great because you can dress them up or down. They are the perfect pair of casual shoes. Great for driving, too. I wore mine out, and unfortunately (inexplicably), Vans doesn't make them anymore. So I had a pair custom made. They're not as nice as the originals, but they'll do. I wish the new pair had a black tag, black lining, and black soles like the old pair. Also, the perforations are farther apart.

IMG_5181.jpg

bencap

Reaction score
@Nader393 How'd you get a pair custom made? Like you went to a tailor with a pair of new slip ons and had them customised with new leather uppers? If so, props for going the extra mile.

Nader393

Reaction score
The Vans website allows you to custom spec your shoes. You can choose materials and colors. Cost $80, and takes about six weeks.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
happy to report that the duck vans are pretty puddle-proof.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of owning my first pair of Vans. I want them to be slip-ons.

Which is more comfortable, the Pro's or the classic slip-ons? I know the Pro's got a cush insole and the outsole is also thicker.

Does the Pro and classic run the same size?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads