• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vans Thread

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ this is the kind of post that really adds value to our community. more please!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got the boy some Vans for school this year and have to say I don't think they're going to last until he grows out of them for whatever that's worth. Foxing started separating from the uppers pretty quickly. And the cool flames started peeling off. Not the end of the world, but not ideal.

That being said, I do like the pair I got myself. Sk8 His in some sort of dusty pink (probably cerise?) with checkerboard. They are pretty comfy too.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a pair of the slip-ons in the 'vansbuck' that they did last season (still some on Yoox, End and other places in that material). Nice light cross between leather and nubuck feel. I tend to avoid smooth leather footwear because of fixating on creases and for whatever reason the material on these means they don't crease, tend to roll/bend like suede does

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the boy some Vans for school this year and have to say I don't think they're going to last until he grows out of them for whatever that's worth. Foxing started separating from the uppers pretty quickly. And the cool flames started peeling off. Not the end of the world, but not ideal.

That being said, I do like the pair I got myself. Sk8 His in some sort of dusty pink (probably cerise?) with checkerboard. They are pretty comfy too.

I had a pair that the sole started to separate after 6 months or so. I was in the store when the manager noticed it and offered a replacement on the spot. They were far from new but one shoe was fine, the other not so much. He ordered a new pair and they shipped directly to me within a week. I was pleasantly surprised at their service.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's great. I haven't tried to get any CS on this. They may not be any less durable than other sneakers. Kids can be pretty hard on shoes. They, like, actually do stuff in them when they wear them!

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
@grayfox those are cool. i want those, but all suede and in the og slip on model.

there are two different models of upgraded slip ons. the og and the slip on pro.

engineered garments has used both for the mismatch slips. i think they used the pro model for the recent ones, which run a bit small and have a longer vamp/tongue. the og slips run .5/1 size big and have a wide toebox, short vamp, and have a bit more volume.

the og:
745A39D8-25C7-4243-ABF1-0558E07C4B29.jpeg

the pro:
836A93FF-ABB7-4E60-8FAD-9272F260374F.jpeg

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought both of my sons the Vans x NASA space voyager high tops. A bit of a ridiculous purchase, especially for the 1 year old, but they turned out to be totally worth it. Those proportions

FD2154DE-CEEC-4A14-9FE7-38F482F229BD.jpeg

CBB28C99-1B53-47B0-96AD-603C663E79C6.jpeg

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great. I haven't tried to get any CS on this. They may not be any less durable than other sneakers. Kids can be pretty hard on shoes. They, like, actually do stuff in them when they wear them!

Get the Chima in suede. My son skates in them and they actually wear really well provided he sho-goos the area where he ollies. The canvas classics won't stand up to kid abuse, unless you wear them like my daughter for the fashunz.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered my first pair of Vans today in hummus brushed nubuck.
upload_2019-4-19_12-50-57.jpeg

Anyone know if the marshmallow suede is a warm or cool off white? Photos go back and forth from makeup to makeup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads