• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vans Thread

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since 1966. Vans talk here.

1000.jpeg

marysdad

Reaction score
I grew up in No. Orange Co. CA where Van’s got started. Van Doren Rubber Co. was the company name. Van’s weren’t a fashion statement in the 1960s. They were a value product that significantly undercut the big names of the day (Converse, P.F. Flyer, etc.). They had their own Van’s stores. The Van’s “store,” where I grew up in La Habra, was a tiny shack sitting on a tiny lot that was essentially a traffic island where Whittier and Harbor Blvd’s intersected. The basic Van’s shoe was the only style they made (in about a dozen solid colors) and they were $9 a pair. Mom would give me the 9 bucks and I would ride my bike and get fitted for shoes. They would last just long enough to outgrow them, which was perfect. Mom didn’t have to spend more on the shoes than she was going to get out of them.

Green B

Reaction score
I never had a pair of Vans, what's the quality like?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Totally fine, they're just canvas and rubber, man. Not meant as heirlooms. The Vault stuff is more sturdy than the regular line, and I think the designer collabs like EG use nicer materials at least for the uppers. The Lites are fantastic to wear, but blow out within a few months.

This was a cool collaboration which I hadn't seen before from 2013. Norse Projects x Kvadrat using classic Danish furniture textiles.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slip ons for life. I buy a pair pretty much every season. The most durable, and I wear them hard, ime, are the suede ones. They don't really fray. They start to break down when the sole peels away from the upper where they flex most. Oh, and if you can, get a leather lined pair. A leather insole, like they have on the Takayuki collabs, are so much more comfortable on the bare foot.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have moved through many, many pairs, since late 70s. Always seem to come back to the Authentics...

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Authentics #1, Slip-ons #2.

I've tried the Old Skool, but I couldn't get into them. Same with the checkerboard. I've always gone for solids except for a couple original navy-light blue Eras way back when.

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Authentics and Slip-ons only for me as well. I've always had at least one or the other on hand since the 80s. Currently I have a pair of white suede slips and some black authentics from the Our Legacy collection. + new standards and an ocbd and that's my "don't want to think about it" uniform.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned Vans but have been thinking about a pair in burgundy or the tan suede joints below. Do any of them have any degree of cushioning or arch support? I tried Converse once years ago and hated them.

vans-Brown-Suede-Era-95-Dx.jpeg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vans are comf-ier than Converse imo. I dunno about arch support. I have pretty flat feet. A few models have Cush insoles. And the Lites have a spongy feel, sorta like Nike Frees. I like the suede versions. esp navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics