• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The untucked button up??

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
I think that we have indirectly touched on this subject a few times, but what is your ideal untucked button up? Lets say to be worn with some well fit jeans, range of footwear from chelseas / chukkas to more casual laceups to classic sneakers.

I think I am going to have Ricky make me a few, and I am thinking about my design.

Relatively short - Is there a length that I can go for which will be both long enough to tuck when necessary and short enough not to look like just another untucked dress shirt? What about the bottom? Squared off or with the standard u sort of shape?

Collar- I seem to think that spreads don't work as well. What thinks ye? Point? Not so sure about the button down

Presumably slim fit with a nice sort of waist supression for lack of a better term.

high armholes, slim sleeves, but what kind of cuff? Maybe French is a bit pretentous...

Chest pocket or no?

Damn this board, not only do I analyze these things too much, but now have the means and places to indulge my crazy ideas

K
 

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
44,858
Reaction score
18,232
Here are my suggestions. Go short. Too short to tuck in effectively, under the belt line about 1/5 inches. There is nothing worse than doing things half-assed.

Go for a point or semispread collar. A soft collar works best for casual looks - it removes any suspicions anyone might have that you are wearing a proper dress shirt, especially if you are wearing a sportsjacket as well.

Definitely no French cuffs. Go with a barrel cuff, maybe a double button barrel cuff if the like that style.

I would eschew the chest pocket, though that is a stylistic decision.

Originally Posted by VKK3450
I think that we have indirectly touched on this subject a few times, but what is your ideal untucked button up? Lets say to be worn with some well fit jeans, range of footwear from chelseas / chukkas to more casual laceups to classic sneakers.

I think I am going to have Ricky make me a few, and I am thinking about my design.

Relatively short - Is there a length that I can go for which will be both long enough to tuck when necessary and short enough not to look like just another untucked dress shirt? What about the bottom? Squared off or with the standard u sort of shape?

Collar- I seem to think that spreads don't work as well. What thinks ye? Point? Not so sure about the button down

Presumably slim fit with a nice sort of waist supression for lack of a better term.

high armholes, slim sleeves, but what kind of cuff? Maybe French is a bit pretentous...

Chest pocket or no?

Damn this board, not only do I analyze these things too much, but now have the means and places to indulge my crazy ideas

K
 

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
So on the length and the collar you think a line has to be drawn? No way to come up with something that will be able to serve double duty as both an untucked with jeans and a tucked in with a suit?

Guess I am looking for max utility

K
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,835
Reaction score
1,383
I have my shirts made so that they are short but still tuckable. I agree with LA Guy about the collar, but ultimately it's not a big deal. French cuff can be pretentious, but I do it anyway.
 

jet

Persian Bro
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
22,605
Reaction score
11,014
That is a great example of a proper fitting and length for a button front shirt.

Do the standard collar with any cuff you like. I don't mind the pocket, depends on the pattern and color of the shirt for optimal results.
 

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
Yeah, nice fit Kent, That is the look that I am going for

I guess I can take the middle of the back pocket as a guideline for length. I like it with the normal shape and not squared off in this case also

K
 

jet

Persian Bro
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
22,605
Reaction score
11,014
Just know that pockets are at different heights so unless you are wearing those nudies, it's not really the best metric.
 

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
Point taken... Should I ask him whether they come to mid cheek, lower cheek or....

Ok, this is getting freaky.

But seriously no issues on them coming untucked Kent?

K
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,835
Reaction score
1,383
Let's say it's 7.5" from my navel to the bottom of the shirt. Err on the side of too long than too short.

I have no trouble with the shirt coming untucked when wearing trousers, and I tend to wear my trousers a bit low -- though I suppose average for people my age -- higher than were I wear my jeans of course -- right below the navel. If, however, you have a belly you will need more length to anchor in your shirt.

I think no pocket is more sleek. Choosing a more utilitarian pattern for the fabric may warrant adding a pocket though.

I really like this shirt as it can be worn with a suit just as well as with denim trousers.
 

fashion_newbie

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
438
Reaction score
0
Kent, really like the fit and actually the color too. Where did you pick that one up?
-fn
 

kronik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
3,944
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
Kent, really like the fit and actually the color too. Where did you pick that one up?
-fn


I think it's Chan.
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,835
Reaction score
1,383
Jon, the sneaks are the SL76 which looks a lot like the Italia. The shirt is from Chan, though I have ones from Jantzen that fit just as well. I think the slim fit is really key here. A loose shirt untucked looks especially sloppy.
 

jet

Persian Bro
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
22,605
Reaction score
11,014
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Point taken... Should I ask him whether they come to mid cheek, lower cheek or....

Ok, this is getting freaky.

But seriously no issues on them coming untucked Kent?

K


Just look at where it hits in relation to the rise of your jean. I'd say about halfway down the zipper at its lowest point. On the subject of to pocket or not to pocket, I think it adds an extra little dimension and breaks up the monotony of a light colored shirt so I would probably go that route. The only time I'd do the french cuff thing is if I was wearing a nice pair of loafers and/or blazer.
 

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
I think that as long as the bottom is high enough not to stick out below the bottom of the jacket is the minimum thing.

Agree that the slim fit is the key. Excellent

K
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 245 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,695
Messages
9,222,529
Members
193,597
Latest member
Scal
Top