• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Unofficial Spier & Mackay B-S-T Thread

zewill

Reaction score
Sure.
Also the full canvas ones.
Are you sure? I always thought the suits come with pants and jacket unfinished so you can do your own working hole buttons when you decide on final length. This is why I prefer Spier than SuSu... Working buttons are a useless complication albeit a nice touch , but when you need to shorten or lengthen quite a bit, you are very much restricted ...

djdanniedee

Reaction score
RTW jackets don't have working buttons. Only the full canvas suit has unfinished sleeves. MTO/MTM you can have functional working cuffs added. RTW pants are always unfinished at the hem

Are you sure? I always thought the suits come with pants and jacket unfinished so you can do your own working hole buttons when you decide on final length. This is why I prefer Spier than SuSu... Working buttons are a useless complication albeit a nice touch , but when you need to shorten or lengthen quite a bit, you are very much restricted ...

zewill

Reaction score
Yep, thats what I thought too (I know because I have a rtw and many sportscoat from Spier). I really need to pull the trigger on their full canvas suits one day price is great but I already have so many suits (and a brand new unworn full canvas one from Susu) and so little occasions to wear them :)

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read this before my coffee and answered too quickly.

The full canvas suits come with functional sleeves in that you can have functional holes added.
MTM/MTO come with your choice of closed sleeves or functional sleeves with or without holes.
Most other lines come with non-functional sleeves with faux holes.

:)

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, thats what I thought too (I know because I have a rtw and many sportscoat from Spier). I really need to pull the trigger on their full canvas suits one day price is great but I already have so many suits (and a brand new unworn full canvas one from Susu) and so little occasions to wear them :)
List the full canvas susu suit and buy the S&M suit with the proceeds. All things else being equal, it's worth it for the handmade boutenniere and option to have handmade sleeveholes added alone!

:cool:

Daraven

Reaction score
Anyone from the EU here who has bought S&M items? I am super interested in their products but worry the import duties will just completely kill the good deals you can get...

hschrapel

Reaction score
Anyone from the EU here who has bought S&M items? I am super interested in their products but worry the import duties will just completely kill the good deals you can get...
I've never purchased anything of significant value from them (i.e. Sportscoat or suits) but I've purchased many shirts, both MTM and OTR. I asked them on my order to under declare the value of the shirts and have had mixed reviews. With my first purchase, they under valued the cost with the slip inside the package, but the prices listed on the outside of the box were per item costs (so $55 USD a shirt, no bundle price listed there) and I got screwed with VAT. The MTM shirts however, I request that they send directly from their factory in India, and they list the price in Indian currency at cost, so very cheap and minimal VAT

norMD

Reaction score
I have bought several suits and SC. You will have to pay VAT and probably a customs fee. If you think this ruins your deal spend your money with european shops like berg and berg (great deals when on sale), cavour (currently 30 % off) or simply suitsupply.

If you decide to buy from Spier and Mackay remember to get a refferal code for your first purchase.

Daraven

Reaction score
I have bought several suits and SC. You will have to pay VAT and probably a customs fee. If you think this ruins your deal spend your money with european shops like berg and berg (great deals when on sale), cavour (currently 30 % off) or simply suitsupply.

If you decide to buy from Spier and Mackay remember to get a refferal code for your first purchase.
Ah sadly that confirms what I was thinking. I have moved away from Suitsupply recently. Their styling gets more and more ridiculous, what appeals to me specifically with Spier and Mackay is the Neapolitan cut. Any recommendations on other brands with similar cuts?

norMD

Reaction score
Ah sadly that confirms what I was thinking. I have moved away from Suitsupply recently. Their styling gets more and more ridiculous, what appeals to me specifically with Spier and Mackay is the Neapolitan cut. Any recommendations on other brands with similar cuts?
As already mentioned cavour and berg and berg offer soft shoulders and 3-roll-2 jackets. Berg and berg have not released their spring-summer tailoring yet. Boggi Milano probably has something similar and other italian brands like boglioli, lardini, L. B. M. 1911.

Now back to B-S-T spier and Mackay

dapperclassic

Reaction score
Yes, about 12 jackets, 8 trousers and a few shirts.
Yes, you will have to pay customs and VAT but you can offset that if you buy during the flash sales.
I've searched and tried many brands but nothing is comparable to S&M at that price point.

dapperclassic

Reaction score
As already mentioned cavour and berg and berg offer soft shoulders and 3-roll-2 jackets. Berg and berg have not released their spring-summer tailoring yet. Boggi Milano probably has something similar and other italian brands like boglioli, lardini, L. B. M. 1911.

Now back to B-S-T spier and Mackay
Cavour is promising but they have a high button stance and the jackets are cut short. They are addressing this but not for the SS20 line. Even at their discounted price, they can't beat S&M though even with customs/VAT added.

dapperclassic

Reaction score
Which bit do you find ridiculous? Don't pay much attention to the pics on their website because the jackets are at least a size too short for the models in both chest/length!
Suitsupply still represents a good offering IMO and have a wonderful selection of fabrics, if only they dropped their button stance by around 0.75"

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the Neo cut is a knock-off Liverano, you can just go straight to the source.

🤷‍♂️

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.