• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Unofficial Spier & Mackay B-S-T Thread

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
Anyone selling any 40R Contemporary jackets? This is my brother in a 40S and legit everyone in S&M forum saying 40R be much better (to me an extra inch and half to length would be too much) although I get wanting the slightly lower buttoning stance. Would definitely have to shorten sleeves full inch they be longer but want to see length of body on him and buttoning point...without spending a ton lol
Resized_20200325_171216.jpg
Resized_20200325_171223.jpg
Resized_20200325_171230.jpg

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone selling any 40R Contemporary jackets? This is my brother in a 40S and legit everyone in S&M forum saying 40R be much better (to me an extra inch and half to length would be too much) although I get wanting the slightly lower buttoning stance. Would definitely have to shorten sleeves full inch they be longer but want to see length of body on him and buttoning point...without spending a ton lol View attachment 1361715 View attachment 1361716 View attachment 1361717
Yes. He needs 40R. This is too short.

Want a bright navy neo suit? It's not cheap but it's mighty handsome and versatile.

Reactions: 1up

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
Yes. He needs 40R. This is too short.

Want a bright navy neo suit? It's not cheap but it's mighty handsome and versatile.

Just looking for cheapest thing I can find to compare, as he would have to shorten sleeves also. Very curious why everyone saying so short though??? It's longer than bottom half and fully cover seats by over half inch and he's only 5'8. Don't know if it's just the balance or his longer arms and overly erect posture in the pictures...or what?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looking for cheapest thing I can find to compare, as he would have to shorten sleeves also. Very curious why everyone saying so short though??? It's longer than bottom half and fully cover seats by over half inch and he's only 5'8. Don't know if it's just the balance or his longer arms and overly erect posture in the pictures...or what?
It could be the angle but it looks like the bottom of the coat doesn't even hit his thumb joint. It should probably come down at least halfway down his thumb for a contemporary, modern, short fit, or to the nook created by closing his hand on a more classic fit.

I'm a bit taller (@ 6'1") which makes short jackets look shorter. By that logic, if your brother is a bit shorter, and the jacket still looks short, you need to go longer.

Just my .02.

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
It could be the angle but it looks like the bottom of the coat doesn't even hit his thumb joint. It should probably come down at least halfway down his thumb for a contemporary, modern, short fit, or to the nook created by closing his hand on a more classic fit.

I'm a bit taller (@ 6'1") which makes short jackets look shorter. By that logic, if your brother is a bit shorter, and the jacket still looks short, you need to go longer.

Just my .02.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and input. He just has very long arms compared to his stature. For example, his wingspan is almost identical to me but he is 5'8 and I'm 6'3. He was trying on thrifted jackets with me and the couple that were almost down to that part of his arm made him look like he was wearing my length jackets...just wish front was touch longer but to go up to 40R would be additional 1.4 inches...

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's opinions and input. He just has very long arms compared to his stature. For example, his wingspan is almost identical to me but he is 5'8 and I'm 6'3. He was trying on thrifted jackets with me and the couple that were almost down to that part of his arm made him look like he was wearing my length jackets...just wish front was touch longer but to go up to 40R would be additional 1.4 inches...
@Alan Bee has some crazy long arms. He's an extreme example, but peruse some of his fits over at HOF and you'll be able to see what classic proportions look like. Again. He's an extreme example so take it with a grain of salt when you're swinging the pendulum all the way to the other side of modern & shrunken.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's left for you to be curious about? You probably had 20 replies on the main Spier thread today telling you it's too short. If that's how he wants to wear it, fine. But please stop asking why when several people have told you why and agreed it looks too short.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a good candidate for MTO - but definitely too short.

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
What's left for you to be curious about? You probably had 20 replies on the main Spier thread today telling you it's too short. If that's how he wants to wear it, fine. But please stop asking why when several people have told you why and agreed it looks too short.

That's the beauty is I can ask and get feedback and explain my reasoning. If that upsets you, you can just scroll past! Thanks!
Every time I leave it, because he and I both are happy with it, someone has to bring it back up and sound condescending. It's fine. Most of you think too short, and that's fine.

Last edited:

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
If anyone has any Contemporary 44R or 40S please let me know as I'm in the market for some jackets, as is my brother!
Thanks for anyone's constructive feedback and the others who feel superior.. well I guess...feel free to keep on doing so lol. When Tim who did all the custom suiting for Spier tells you the 40S is the right call, and is an actual tailor, I'm going to trust his opinion and eye!

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any Contemporary 44R or 40S please let me know as I'm in the market for some jackets, as is my brother!
Thanks for anyone's constructive feedback and the others who feel superior.. well I guess...feel free to keep on doing so lol. When Tim who did all the custom suiting for Spier tells you the 40S is the right call, and is an actual tailor, I'm going to trust his opinion and eye!
@induere_to I've a bone to pick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads