• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retri

Reaction score
*sees a member of this thread post a Drake’s fit
wow great look!
*sees a Korean in a Drake’s editorial
eww gross late capitalism!
Not sure why you're trying to make this about race or politics, they'd both look great or dumb, depending on the garment and price point. The issue with Drake's is that most everything is beyond overpriced for no discernible reason, while the unique designs you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else, at a fraction of the price no less, are few and far between.

I mean, I get it, the whole point is that if you're lazy, don't mind overpaying and need someone else to tell you what to wear, they can take care of your whole look. Sure, you might be dressing smarter but that's hardly smart; nevertheless, I could get behind that.

Also, we were talking about the photoshoots and editorials, which rub the wrong way a lot of people for legitimate (and hilarious) reasons... that are clearly flying well over your head.

Now, brand cultism on the other hand most definitely reeks of late stage capitalism.

Last edited:

Beckett2

Reaction score
*sees a member of this thread post a Drake’s fit
wow great look!
*sees a Korean in a Drake’s editorial
eww gross late capitalism!
Screenshot 2023-03-19 8.29.06 AM.png

PenryMMJ

Reaction score
Does anybody have a pair of the suede chard moc-toe derby shoes? If so would you recommend?

I quite liked the look of them but they are no longer available online. Don't think I ever saw any on foot pictures which made me wary.
D8A1A7D3-C20C-4CE4-B33C-6B59CDA7AE90.jpeg

Trevallon

Reaction score
Not sure why you're trying to make this about race or politics, they'd both look great or dumb, depending on the garment and price point. The issue with Drake's is that most everything is beyond overpriced for no discernible reason, while the unique designs you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else, at a fraction of the price no less, are few and far between.

I mean, I get it, the whole point is that if you're lazy, don't mind overpaying and need someone else to tell you what to wear, they can take care of your whole look. Sure, you might be dressing smarter but that's hardly smart; nevertheless, I could get behind that.

Also, we were talking about the photoshoots and editorials, which rub the wrong way a lot of people for legitimate (and hilarious) reasons... that are clearly flying well over your head.

Now, brand cultism on the other hand most definitely reeks of late stage capitalism.
Hm. About your issue with Drake's that "most everything is beyond overpriced for no discernible reason", I wonder if you would care to elaborate?

Now sure, Drake's is very expensive. But there are a couple of reasons for that, which make spending more on their clothes easier for me.

Like that fact that they produce their shirts in England. In their own factory. That they bought (and saved after bankruptcy).
They produce clothes in Portugal and Italy and Scotland. The cloth is from British, European or Japanese mills. Quality is superb and so is the design. I am assuming everything is sweatshop free. That is a bonus, that I don't mind paying extra for.

I think an article like the infamous Balenciaga Croq is beyond overpriced. Most of Drake's clothes are not. They will last, they are timeless and, if you consider the "cost per wear" ratio, at least for me, they are not that expensive anymore. Because I wear them more than any other pieces of clothing in my wardrobe.

Listening to Michael Hill in interviews, he talks about wanting to create "things with value" and wanting the customers to wear the clothes for a long time and I totally believe that he is truthful about that. I also hope that he makes "some serious coin" as some other poster complained, because he really does a good job. And in a very competetive business he is head and shoulders above most of the competition (I think). Kind of like a very english Ralph Lauren - who also made a lot of coin because no one else did what he did and as well.

Fast fashion is late stage capitalism; gross overconsumption at the expense of the labourers who get paid next to nothing in work environments that are dangerous, polluted and without any kind of social security, health care or whatnot.

Design is also something that is "very hard to quantify" (Simon Crompton) but to illustrate the point: if you know of a brand that does a Games suit at half the price in the same quality and ingenious design, please share your knowledge, because I have looked hard and didn't find any. That's why I had to buy the original. Will I buy a 100 € ballcap? Nope.

So maybe I am
lazy, don't mind overpaying and need someone else to tell you what to wear,
but I am also just happy to see beautifully made clothes of good quality and integrity and don't have the knee jerk reaction you apparently get when you see Drake's Editorials (or their prices).

But hey, the things you see and grasp are clearly flying well over my head.

Beckett2

Reaction score
Simon Cromptons interesting take on pricing. And an informative article on profit margins:

Crompton has been promoting, marketing and justifying these menswear brands for years. I would take everything he writes with an extremely large grain of salt.

Phillip Dean

Reaction score
Crompton has been promoting, marketing and justifying these menswear brands for years. I would take everything he writes with an extremely large grain of salt.

“Promoting and marketing.” Simon is neither, he’s a journalist, who has been quite transparent about his methods and is often critical in his writing.

But yes, I suppose we should discount his entire body of work based on the opinion of an anonymous Styleforum poster who is obviously more qualified to weight in on industry pricing.

Beckett2

Reaction score
“Promoting and marketing.” Simon is neither, he’s a journalist, who has been quite transparent about his methods and is often critical in his writing.

But yes, I suppose we should discount his entire body of work based on the opinion of an anonymous Styleforum poster who is obviously more qualified to weight in on industry pricing.
Journalist is a stretch! The guy edited a financial magazine and then he started a blog...

Beckett2

Reaction score

Example 1: simon-crompton-cardigan

Phillip Dean

Reaction score
Journalist is a stretch! The guy edited a financial magazine and then he started a blog...

He was a financial journalist; you do realize that many thousands of people are employed doing just that? Your bad faith is exhausting (and probably not worth responding to), as is your lowest possible level of clothing commentary (why everything expensive? Making money bad!).

Beckett2

Reaction score
He was a financial journalist; you do realize that many thousands of people are employed doing just that? Your bad faith is exhausting (and probably not worth responding to), as is your lowest possible level of clothing commentary (why everything expensive? Making money bad!).
Hahaha

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm. About your issue with Drake's that "most everything is beyond overpriced for no discernible reason", I wonder if you would care to elaborate?

Now sure, Drake's is very expensive. But there are a couple of reasons for that, which make spending more on their clothes easier for me.

Like that fact that they produce their shirts in England. In their own factory. That they bought (and saved after bankruptcy).
They produce clothes in Portugal and Italy and Scotland. The cloth is from British, European or Japanese mills. Quality is superb and so is the design. I am assuming everything is sweatshop free. That is a bonus, that I don't mind paying extra for.

I think an article like the infamous Balenciaga Croq is beyond overpriced. Most of Drake's clothes are not. They will last, they are timeless and, if you consider the "cost per wear" ratio, at least for me, they are not that expensive anymore. Because I wear them more than any other pieces of clothing in my wardrobe.

Listening to Michael Hill in interviews, he talks about wanting to create "things with value" and wanting the customers to wear the clothes for a long time and I totally believe that he is truthful about that. I also hope that he makes "some serious coin" as some other poster complained, because he really does a good job. And in a very competetive business he is head and shoulders above most of the competition (I think). Kind of like a very english Ralph Lauren - who also made a lot of coin because no one else did what he did and as well.

Fast fashion is late stage capitalism; gross overconsumption at the expense of the labourers who get paid next to nothing in work environments that are dangerous, polluted and without any kind of social security, health care or whatnot.

Design is also something that is "very hard to quantify" (Simon Crompton) but to illustrate the point: if you know of a brand that does a Games suit at half the price in the same quality and ingenious design, please share your knowledge, because I have looked hard and didn't find any. That's why I had to buy the original. Will I buy a 100 € ballcap? Nope.

So maybe I am

but I am also just happy to see beautifully made clothes of good quality and integrity and don't have the knee jerk reaction you apparently get when you see Drake's Editorials (or their prices).

But hey, the things you see and grasp are clearly flying well over my head.

This really sums things up well IMHO.

There are things that I won’t purchase from Drakes, like your ballcap example. But shirts, ties, scarves, pocket squares, knits, tailoring, and shoes are all things that Drakes does well and offer good value (to me, per above comments)

On the topic of sweatshops (or not), I’ve visited the tie factory and it a lovely place. Professionals, working in a nice environment making a quality product. The flow from cutting to lining to sewing to finishing all makes sense and each person has a spot in the production. I would love to visit their shirt factory.

Matt_Nash

Reaction score

Criticising Drake’s won’t go down well here, you are in the company of men who wake up at 4am and put special outfits on just to pose for a few hours in a queue and then crawl all over each other to save 10% at sample sales. They are very catty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics