• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was really put off the suede car coat because it uses poppers, these are always the first thing to go on a bag or garment. The buttons on the chore seem pretty beefy as well as the stitching.
The chore I have has smaller buttons reinforcing on the backside. Seems very sturdy

Although I have a few workwear inspired pieces that have snaps and they've yet to fail with hard use.

justinpledger

Reaction score
If anyone is thinking of ordering one of the St John chore jackets - they come up pretty big, especially the navy moleskin. The moleskin is a gorgeous fabric and the jacket is amazing but I'd definitely size down. The red and blue come up pretty big too but are not as long in the arms. I can't get the earlier comment about the dusty chores looking like a couch out of my head though... yikes!

espen

Reaction score
If anyone is thinking of ordering one of the St John chore jackets - they come up pretty big, especially the navy moleskin. The moleskin is a gorgeous fabric and the jacket is amazing but I'd definitely size down. The red and blue come up pretty big too but are not as long in the arms. I can't get the earlier comment about the dusty chores looking like a couch out of my head though... yikes!
The recon we need. Check anything else out?

justinpledger

Reaction score
The recon we need. Check anything else out?
Yes! The western denim shirts are gorgeous, especially the lighter one, which fits very slightly smaller than the darker one. The new light brown suede western belt is gorgeous but fits larger than the sizing given (on me at least).

The pieces I was most interested in were the chores. I'd say that the St John's collaboration is amazing however, I was slightly underwhelmed by the corduroy ones. I was slightly gutted by this as I was so excited. The fabric is gorgeous but it has a very definite shine. They're quite shiny jackets to be frank. The red is quite pink. I'd call it dusty pink as opposed to red. I tried all this stuff in front of Boo (everything has to pass the Boo test). She thought the pink/red chore was very pretty but very effeminate. She liked the corn blue much better and thought it too was very pretty but she then said that it looked like cushion fabric (I didn't tell her that someone else's partner had mentioned a couch!).
I don't want to look like a walking cushion so will likely return the corn blue and the dusty pink/red (If you fancy them, then they're a size 38 so get ready to nab 'em!). Boo agreed that the navy Moleskin was hilariously big on me, even though I'm a size 38 in all other Drake's chore jackets. So this too is going back and I'll try a 36. The fabric is beautiful though and not very heavyweight. You won't want to wear it in summer though, although spring is fine!

As I say, I love the idea of the dusty-coloured corduroy chores but the shiny fabric and slightly effeminate/couch colouring put me off a bit. Dammit!

Hope that helps someone!

Trevallon

Reaction score
How do you like the buttons on the navy moleskin chore jacket? They look nice, but also a little flimsy in the pictures.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you mind taking some measurements of the moleskin chore? Curious how much larger it is than their size chart indicates.

Retri

Reaction score
The new light brown suede western belt is gorgeous

Just a heads up: Alberto Luti makes gorgeous looking western belts at less than half the price. They've also been selling these for the past 6 or 7 years, so there's tons of different designs to choose from, ranging from full-on Marlboro Man to slightly tackier than a regular belt.

Their insta: https://www.instagram.com/albertolutiofficial/

I got 3 of them and the quality is nothing short of stellar. Quite durable as well.

case in point, my latest one: https://tinyurl.com/tkz49u53

justinpledger

Reaction score
Just a heads up: Alberto Luti makes gorgeous looking western belts at less than half the price. They've also been selling these for the past 6 or 7 years, so there's tons of different designs to choose from, ranging from full-on Marlboro Man to slightly tackier than a regular belt.

Their insta: https://www.instagram.com/albertolutiofficial/

I got 3 of them and the quality is nothing short of stellar. Quite durable as well.

case in point, my latest one: https://tinyurl.com/tkz49u53
Oh, my word that belt is gorgeous! Thank you! Although they've sold out in a 90. If I'm a 32 waist, I'd be a 90 right?

Retri

Reaction score
Oh, my word that belt is gorgeous! Thank you! Although they've sold out in a 90. If I'm a 32 waist, I'd be a 90 right?
Assuming you meant inches, 32 in = 81.2 Cm

I would just measure a belt that fits and get the same size. These are supposed to run a little large tho because you want the tip of the belt to show and, possibly, even hang a tad past the closest belt loop.

I got mine here and it looks like they still got the 90 cm ones in stock: https://www.bellettini.com/prodotto/cintura-bruciato-2/

woO

Reaction score
I would say the opposite 😅
I've tested the navy blue moleskine one in 38 and it feels the same way as the heavy linen ones I have in 36. I also have the twill artist chore jackets in 36, which definitely feels less comfortable than the linen ones.

justinpledger

Reaction score
They’re actually really lovely. I wasn’t sure about them either until I saw them. They’re a thick acrylic and not flimsy at all. They make a really nice change from the typical chore jacket buttons.

How do you like the buttons on the navy moleskin chore jacket? They look nice, but also a little flimsy in the pictures.

justinpledger

Reaction score
I've tested the navy blue moleskine one in 38 and it feels the same way as the heavy linen ones I have in 36. I also have the twill artist chore jackets in 36, which definitely feels less comfortable than the linen ones.
The one I bought is definitely, definitely bigger than the denim (bleach and dark wash), tencel, heavy linen, canvas and dark navy moleskin chores in a 38. I’ll take measurements later. Perhaps there’s differences between batches of the same size. I tried all of them last night and the whole jacket is wider (shoulders and body!)

justinpledger

Reaction score
Would you mind taking some measurements of the moleskin chore? Curious how much larger it is than their size chart indicates.

I’ll take measurements this evening and post them. I’ll compare the measurements to the other chores that I have as well!

jeremygo

Reaction score
Is the general POV to get your normal
sport coat size in the chore jackets (with the exception of the St John versions discussed above)? I’m a 40 at The Armoury, S&M, etc. so grab that from Drake’s? Or is this more of a Barbour Bedale size down (38 for me) situation?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads