• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone who's tried both tell me why you'd pay more (even at sale prices) for a Drake's OCBD over Kamakura?

My experience with both:
I've tried "regular" Kamakura, Kamakura SPORT, but not Vintage Ivy. Sizing is weird... four different fits, all with different sleeve lengths.

Drakes has a longer collar and better collar roll than regular or Sport Kamakura shirts. (again, I ahve not tried their Vintage Ivy line)

Kamakura SPORT shirts cuff end up too tight after a wash or two, and the sleeves shrink to the point were they are too short for my arms.

Regular Kamakura BD collars are interlined and fused, unlike Drakes, lightly lined (I think) and unfused.

If SPORT fits you well, then they are a decent alternative to Drakes, they just don't fit me....

Edited to add:
Of all the OCBD shirts in my closet (Kamakura, Drakes, BB, Anglo Italian, Sid Mashburn); Drakes and old BB (made in America OCBD) get the most wear.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with both:
I've tried "regular" Kamakura, Kamakura SPORT, but not Vintage Ivy. Sizing is weird... four different fits, all with different sleeve lengths.

Drakes has a longer collar and better collar roll than regular or Sport Kamakura shirts. (again, I ahve not tried their Vintage Ivy line)

Kamakura SPORT shirts cuff end up too tight after a wash or two, and the sleeves shrink to the point were they are too short for my arms.

Regular Kamakura BD collars are interlined and fused, unlike Drakes, lightly lined (I think) and unfused.

If SPORT fits you well, then they are a decent alternative to Drakes, they just don't fit me....

Edited to add:
Of all the OCBD shirts in my closet (Kamakura, Drakes, BB, Anglo Italian, Sid Mashburn); Drakes and old BB (made in America OCBD) get the most wear.

Do the Drakes shirts have a bias cut around the yoke?

Reaction score
Curious to know what the measurements are on the 38....
Size guide on the website for 38 shows chest at 57.5cm and shoulders at 47cm, which are nearly identical in measurement as the suede chore coat that I own and can fit very well.

Unfortunately and sadly the blazer is one size too small as it fits a little too snug around the chest and shoulders. Feels bad since I've been eyeing this piece for some time and swooped it up the instant I saw it during the Archive sale thinking it would sell out. I was able to exchange/return in previous sales so I didn't give it much thought. Went back and forth with customer service to no avail--guess I have to read carefully next time for the "All Archive sales in the U.S. are final"!

trg12

Reaction score
Size guide on the website for 38 shows chest at 57.5cm and shoulders at 47cm, which are nearly identical in measurement as the suede chore coat that I own and can fit very well.

Unfortunately and sadly the blazer is one size too small as it fits a little too snug around the chest and shoulders. Feels bad since I've been eyeing this piece for some time and swooped it up the instant I saw it during the Archive sale thinking it would sell out. I was able to exchange/return in previous sales so I didn't give it much thought. Went back and forth with customer service to no avail--guess I have to read carefully next time for the "All Archive sales in the U.S. are final"!

Maybe you ask them for an exception given the measurements. I routinely buy jackets with 56ish cm chest measurements and 45ish shoulders and can’t really fit into Drake’s size 50 sport coats.

Reaction score
Maybe you ask them for an exception given the measurements. I routinely buy jackets with 56ish cm chest measurements and 45ish shoulders and can’t really fit into Drake’s size 50 sport coats.
I mentioned the sizing and asked for an exception but got denied twice. They reiterated that US sales are final and there was nothing they could do. Really disappointing and sad since I love the blazer but also my fault for not noticing the final sale warning.

AW84

Reaction score
Can someone who's tried both tell me why you'd pay more (even at sale prices) for a Drake's OCBD over Kamakura?
I’ve heard great word of mouth about Kamakura OCBDs. They offer a few different cuts so picking one online without having tried it in person seems more complicated than I’d like it to be. Their website also shows limited stock in the 16-17 range where I usually fit.

woO

Reaction score
Anyone buy one of Percival’s Casentino fleeces? I’m really considering one.
I bought one of their casentino overshirt and I was midly satisfied, I expect the fleece to feel the same way. In short, the casentino is not as good as Drake's (70% wool, 30% synthetics instead of 100% wool) and in general the design/construction/fit feels less "generous" than Drake's. But it's way cheaper…
The best compromise I think is to buy the ALD/Drake's fleece which is, I don't know why, cheaper than the regular Drake's.

Nat25

Reaction score
Finally broke down and bought a multicolor fleece at I think a new increased price of $575 USD, which feels exorbitantly high for a fleece. But I’m also looking forward to it.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
This isn't strictly a Drake's related question, but thought probably a good forum for it.. Has anyone ever had a shetland jumper brushed?

Jamieson's have in my opinion some of the best around and certainly the best value. The neck isn't too low like shetland woolens & co. They aren't too slimline and 'modernised', like trunk's. They are boxy, but don't billow out like Anderson & Shepherds. Basically, they are much like Drake's, but considerably cheaper. They'd be perfect if they were brushed. I'd fill my wardrobe full of them if they were and was wondering if anyone had ever gotten a shetland professionally brushed after the fact.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
This isn't strictly a Drake's related question, but thought probably a good forum for it.. Has anyone ever had a shetland jumper brushed?

Jamieson's have in my opinion some of the best around and certainly the best value. The neck isn't too low like shetland woolens & co. They aren't too slimline and 'modernised', like trunk's. They are boxy, but don't billow out like Anderson & Shepherds. Basically, they are much like Drake's, but considerably cheaper. They'd be perfect if they were brushed. I'd fill my wardrobe full of them if they were and was wondering if anyone had ever gotten a shetland professionally brushed after the fact.
Doesn't Jamieson's sell brushed shetlands?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads