• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

csm88

Reaction score
I recently picked up the Lovat cotton drill jacket in Olive. I love the colour and the fit, although the jacket is surprisingly hefty and structured for a tailored cotton jacket. Does anyone have experience/photos of this jacket with some wear on it? I get the impression it will be permanently creased, which to some extent is unavoidable with cotton jackets but the heavy cotton is reminiscent of breaking in raw denim.

Phillip Dean

Reaction score
Curious what opinions/experience anyone has regarding the Casentino fleece:

https://www.drakes.com/usa/clothing/fleeces/orange-casentino-wool-half-zip-pullover

I feel that it's among their more divisive items, considering the price and the Day-Glo hue of the orange iteration. Funny thing is, I've always loathed fleece but find myself drawn to the Casentino—probably because I hate anything synthetic, but I find it's kind of brilliant that Drake's appropriated the style but made it from 100% wool.

In my mind, this unlocks it to be worn with some fun combinations of more tailored and casual outfits. I imagine myself wearing an OCBD under it, and maybe some cords and Alden loafers.

Something I still debate (if I ever pull the trigger) is color. I actually enjoy the orange—and it does have a historic precedent, as that shade is traditionally associated with Casentino—but the sheer loudness of the color suggests that I might grow tired of it,. In that sense, the navy is more versatile and less "look at me," but the orange is just fun.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I agree that their model photos and styling are garbage, but perhaps we have that to thank for why all this Drake's stuff is getting marked to 50% off or more.

I ended up ordering the Submariner roll neck in a a 40 and 42, as they offer free returns.

Please report back on what you find out as i'm thinking about picking up a roll neck and am in between sizes. Drake's website doesn't have the usual " this model is 6'7, weighs 104lbs, and has a 34" chest and wears a XXXS" that you see on most websites (at least for the submariner.)

Phillip Dean

Reaction score
Please report back on what you find out as i'm thinking about picking up a roll neck and am in between sizes. Drake's website doesn't have the usual " this model is 6'7, weighs 104lbs, and has a 34" chest and wears a XXXS" that you see on most websites (at least for the submariner.)

I found the 40 to be a little tight for my tastes. 42 definitely fit better, and was not too long in the body as I feared. I ultimately returned both, as the sleeve length in neither was as long as I want. But note that I have freakishly long arms, and measure a 37” sleeve in dress shirts.

wahnamhong

Reaction score

https://www.drakes.com/usa/clothing/fleeces/orange-casentino-wool-half-zip-pullover

I feel that it's among their more divisive items, considering the price and the Day-Glo hue of the orange iteration. Funny thing is, I've always loathed fleece but find myself drawn to the Casentino—probably because I hate anything synthetic, but I find it's kind of brilliant that Drake's appropriated the style but made it from 100% wool.

In my mind, this unlocks it to be worn with some fun combinations of more tailored and casual outfits. I imagine myself wearing an OCBD under it, and maybe some cords and Alden loafers.

Something I still debate (if I ever pull the trigger) is color. I actually enjoy the orange—and it does have a historic precedent, as that shade is traditionally associated with Casentino—but the sheer loudness of the color suggests that I might grow tired of it,. In that sense, the navy is more versatile and less "look at me," but the orange is just fun.
For that kind of money I’d probably get the navy one. For a fun fleece jacket, I’d then just get a Patagonia.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I always saw the $1k Casentino fleece as an epic troll by Drakes.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I found the 40 to be a little tight for my tastes. 42 definitely fit better, and was not too long in the body as I feared. I ultimately returned both, as the sleeve length in neither was as long as I want. But note that I have freakishly long arms, and measure a 37” sleeve in dress shirts.

Thanks for the info. Are you comfortable sharing your height, weight, and chest size? To get a better sense of things.

Thanks again,

calrock

Reaction score
I recently picked up the Lovat cotton drill jacket in Olive. I love the colour and the fit, although the jacket is surprisingly hefty and structured for a tailored cotton jacket. Does anyone have experience/photos of this jacket with some wear on it? I get the impression it will be permanently creased, which to some extent is unavoidable with cotton jackets but the heavy cotton is reminiscent of breaking in raw denim.
Interestingly, I think Michael Hill would suggest that creasing is a feature not a bug.

clemente21

Reaction score
Interestingly, I think Michael Hill would suggest that creasing is a feature not a bug.

Yeah the cotton drill will absolutely crease and fade and crumple - I think you have to embrace it as part of the charm as it's inevitable

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads