• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nprose

Reaction score
I see the ingratiating compliments and words of congratulation at a sample sale as a cynical attempt to make you feel grateful for being ‘allowed’ to shop there. But maybe I’m just being a cynical grump myself, I don’t know.

i think this attitude does play into a bigger picture of declining quality though. Having someone grinning obsequiously at you and congratulating you on your way out of a sample sale having just parted with your money in exchange for some absolute **** does make the brand and it’s staff seem like a bunch shysters buckling under the weight of their own reputation.

i think the grim tone of constant complaining in this forum reflects that too. We’re clearly all here because we felt quite passionate about the brand and perhaps introduced to the world of menswear by it. That was the case for me a few years ago. I see these complaints as an appreciation for the drakes that drove us to actually join an online forum to gush about it in the first place.
This whole discussion was really interesting to read. Being in California, the sample sales are off the table for me, and that sounds like a good thing.

I have only bought one item from Drake's since the pandemic began, and it was a houndstooth, cotton overshirt, which ended up being too small and was from the Archive Sale. As an item, it's night and day when compared to my all-time favorite thing to wear, the Drake's linen olive overskirt. I'm going to be a sad boy when the elbows wear through on that baby. I also have a pair of Clifford boots and a pair of Crosby boots from pre-2020 and one other overshirt I absolutely adore. I'd like to try Drake's oxfords and a tweed blazer or something like that.

The first time I came across Drake's was in 2018, and I had just started a job with a dress code for the office. Their lookbook that fall was a revelation for me. Even though it was expensive, the quality felt good enough to justify it. I think now, the pricing has jumped beyond the products. I'm overall less moved by what they make, and the pricing makes it even more so. It's funny you mention The Anthology because I've been lusting after their lazyman jackets now that I'm mostly set with overshirts.

Quality vs. price seems to be more and more of an issue in menswear, much to DieWorkwear's chagrin. Price feels very mismatched to quality across a number of brands. Another example for me is Sid Mashburn. I like the idea of their stuff, but some of the products I've bought from them have been relatively shoddy. Sid sells sweaters made in China for hundreds of dollars. I bought one of his famous polo shirts and a button flew off on third wear! I think it's a discussion that continue to be relevant, even if boring to some. Many of us have to be strategic with our acquisitions, after all and I think part of the menswear journey is figuring out what is worth paying for, what isn't, what's good enough for you and what works for your style and build.

henrip

Reaction score
Did anyone happen to buy this suede trucker from the archive sale or sample sale? I’d be interested to hear or see how it fits. I kind of regret that I didn’t buy it 😅.

1772C1CA-4EC7-4D8B-A6EA-83D676AD7780.jpeg

henrip

Reaction score
I guess it’s time to appreciate some of the Drake’s stuff that has made its way to my closet somehow and post some awkward fit pics…

346C20CD-B3B7-4B6B-8C47-EF649C3C0C14.jpeg

I absolutely love the color of this shetland sweater. I’m usually really hesitant to buy any other color than white, black, blue, brown or army green. Really few brands gets the tone of their more colorful clothes just right but Drake’s is certainly one of them. (Paired with Ami jeans and Astorflex shoes)

43B394B7-2EB8-4D18-A251-45811E144AF5.jpeg

While shopping groceries in the most popular menswear store in Finland (Prisma) one has to stop and admire the Drake’s pique shirt. The weight of the fabric, its silky luster and fit is just absolutely right 👌. (Paired with Beams Japan hat, Orslow shorts and Tarvas shoes)

C403D70C-455A-4578-9408-0A20BAC2B5F8.jpeg

I’ve been looking for a perfect hoodie for a while. Japanese loopwheeled garments are ofcourse really nice and soft but the risk to mess up the shape in laundry is annoying… this piece seems solid enough that I might have to buy a grey one too. And again, color is great and new to me. Canal loafers are super comfy but not as great as Astorflex though (so they might not be made by Astorflex 🤔). I bought another pair in black from the archive sale since it was only 145£ so they’re good enough… (Paired with Fullcount jeans)

Drake’s might be really ******* expensive but they do make great pieces. The style works well with other clothes I have, fit is great for my body type and the textures and little details really make me love them ❤️

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I guess it’s time to appreciate some of the Drake’s stuff that has made its way to my closet somehow and post some awkward fit pics…

View attachment 1818584

I absolutely love the color of this shetland sweater. I’m usually really hesitant to buy any other color than white, black, blue, brown or army green. Really few brands gets the tone of their more colorful clothes just right but Drake’s is certainly one of them. (Paired with Ami jeans and Astorflex shoes)

View attachment 1818588
While shopping groceries in the most popular menswear store in Finland (Prisma) one has to stop and admire the Drake’s pique shirt. The weight of the fabric, its silky luster and fit is just absolutely right 👌. (Paired with Beams Japan hat, Orslow shorts and Tarvas shoes)

View attachment 1818589
I’ve been looking for a perfect hoodie for a while. Japanese loopwheeled garments are ofcourse really nice and soft but the risk to mess up the shape in laundry is annoying… this piece seems solid enough that I might have to buy a grey one too. And again, color is great and new to me. Canal loafers are super comfy but not as great as Astorflex though (so they might not be made by Astorflex 🤔). I bought another pair in black from the archive sale since it was only 145£ so they’re good enough… (Paired with Fullcount jeans)

Drake’s might be really ******* expensive but they do make great pieces. The style works well with other clothes I have, fit is great for my body type and the textures and little details really make me love them ❤
Nice. What size is that hoodie?

Henry S

Reaction score

May you explain how/ why loopwheel is a risk?

henrip

Reaction score
May you explain how/ why loopwheel is a risk?

It might only be my own experience but sometimes they shorten too much or end up more like a triangle shape than original box shape. The shrinkage seems to be always a question mark. Their expensive and I’ve been hesitant to take the risk. That been said, I’m looking forward to test Cushmans’ freedomsleeve sweater once the color I want is in stock again

The fabric Drake’s uses seems to not stretch or shrink at all. Let’s see what happens after a couple washes.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1818584

View attachment 1818588

View attachment 1818589

Drake’s might be really ******* expensive but they do make great pieces. The style works well with other clothes I have, fit is great for my body type and the textures and little details really make me love them ❤

Frist, kudos to a post that really is about appreciating Drakes in a Drakes Appreciation thread....

Second, love your fits, and descriptions of how the Drakes items fit in your aesthetic and with other items in your wardrobe.

Love the fit with the Shetland! it is a great color.

AW84

Reaction score

View attachment 1818584

View attachment 1818588

View attachment 1818589

Which model of Fullcount is that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads